Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Coffey Break »

Far be it for me to say in normal circumstances....but it's getting late, early. Tonight is a must-win game in Philly. For some miraculous reason, the supposed garbage teams in the Metro (PHI, WASH, NYI) keep finding ways to get 1 or 2 points consistently. I have no idea how PHI is doing it this year (even more perplexing than WSH) but they're not showing any signs of slowing down. Have to get the positive side of the 4-point swing tonight.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coffey Break wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:11 pm Far be it for me to say in normal circumstances....but it's getting late, early. Tonight is a must-win game in Philly. For some miraculous reason, the supposed garbage teams in the Metro (PHI, WASH, NYI) keep finding ways to get 1 or 2 points consistently. I have no idea how PHI is doing it this year (even more perplexing than WSH) but they're not showing any signs of slowing down. Have to get the positive side of the 4-point swing tonight.
A lot of tough games coming up. Penguins have Philly, Vancouver, Seattle, Vegas, Arizona, and Florida as their next 6.
New Jersey just lost to Vancouver, and has Tampa, Florida, Boston, Montreal, Columbus and Dallas as their next 6.

Devils definitely have easier schedule with Montreal and Columbus in there, and Seattle is our "easiest" opponent.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Looking through the Pens players stats on an off day. Couple of interesting points

Jake leads the team in points with 44.

Sid has more goals than assists. 22-19-41. Wonder if this is the first time in his career that he's had more goals than assists this late into a season.

Acciari in 32 games played only has 1 assist. I know he's there to play sound defense, but one assist is wild. He's great on the PK and wins big draws, but he's better suited for wing at even strength.

MP is a team lead +18. He's been a rock.

Graves is tied with Rust for 2nd with a +12.

Carter has 5 goals. 3 of them are game winning goals. Tied with Sid for the team lead.

Overall a lot of players on the the plus side and decent numbers. Can see why the Pens underlying numbers are strong.

If DOC can keep it going and remain in the top 6 we then have 3 scoring lines. If Puljujarvi continues to progress and gets signed he would be a strong bottom 6 addition. Hopefully Smith picks it up and clicks with Eller.

It's a pretty good team on paper.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:18 am Looking through the Pens players stats on an off day. Couple of interesting points

Jake leads the team in points with 44.

Sid has more goals than assists. 22-19-41. Wonder if this is the first time in his career that he's had more goals than assists this late into a season.

Acciari in 32 games played only has 1 assist. I know he's there to play sound defense, but one assist is wild. He's great on the PK and wins big draws, but he's better suited for wing at even strength.

MP is a team lead +18. He's been a rock.

Graves is tied with Rust for 2nd with a +12.

Carter has 5 goals. 3 of them are game winning goals. Tied with Sid for the team lead.

Overall a lot of players on the the plus side and decent numbers. Can see why the Pens underlying numbers are strong.

If DOC can keep it going and remain in the top 6 we then have 3 scoring lines. If Puljujarvi continues to progress and gets signed he would be a strong bottom 6 addition. Hopefully Smith picks it up and clicks with Eller.

It's a pretty good team on paper.
I was thinking last night that I do kind of like the group of forwards now that everyone is healthy (except Nieto, but he doesn't really count). If Puljujarvi can be a better option than Harkins, that's a pretty solid group top to bottom.

I'm still not sure about the defense. Graves was better last night, but he was playing easier minutes on the 3rd pair. I don't trust Joseph in a top-4 role longer-term, but maybe he'll step up and grow into it, or maybe Graves can keep up the better play higher up in the lineup.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SteelCityFan »

Joel Blomqvist

11-4-2
2.16 ga
.920% sp

By comparison,

Magnus Hellberg

5-5-1
2.93 ga
.908% sp

If Blomqvist can continue doing what he’s doing in the A, should be interesting when summer rolls around
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

SteelCityFan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:45 pm Joel Blomqvist

11-4-2
2.16 ga
.920% sp

By comparison,

Magnus Hellberg

5-5-1
2.93 ga
.908% sp

If Blomqvist can continue doing what he’s doing in the A, should be interesting when summer rolls around
Blomqvist needs more games. He needs to be "the #1" in WBS next season. He hasn't played more than 35 games in a season since he was 16 years old. He needs to get a good bulk of the starts in WBS to be able to handle that workload and not wear down as a season goes on.

But he looks very promising.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Isles losing to Vancouver. We play our cards right we could be 3rd in the division Thursday.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Blues PP drops to 10.6% putting them in last place in the league.

Which means I guess the Pens move up to 31st?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KBone wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:34 am Blues PP drops to 10.6% putting them in last place in the league.

Penguins have actually moved up to 25th at 14.7%. WSH, BUF, CBJ, CHI, CGY, PHI, and STL are all worse than the Penguins.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:37 am
KBone wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:34 am Blues PP drops to 10.6% putting them in last place in the league.

Penguins have actually moved up to 25th at 14.7%. WSH, BUF, CBJ, CHI, CGY, PHI, and STL are all worse than the Penguins.
Well I'll be... let's keep climbing!
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:37 am

For better or worse I guess that means Reirden's job with us is safe. :face:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:33 pm
SteelCityFan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:45 pm Joel Blomqvist

11-4-2
2.16 ga
.920% sp

By comparison,

Magnus Hellberg

5-5-1
2.93 ga
.908% sp

Blomqvist needs more games. He needs to be "the #1" in WBS next season. He hasn't played more than 35 games in a season since he was 16 years old. He needs to get a good bulk of the starts in WBS to be able to handle that workload and not wear down as a season goes on.

But he looks very promising.
Blomqvist selected for AHL all-star game today on his birthday (which also happens to be mine).
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:23 pm

Blomqvist selected for AHL all-star game today on his birthday (which also happens to be mine).
Happy Birthday FLPensFan!
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

brwi wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:36 pm
Happy Birthday FLPensFan!
YEP!!!! And many many more.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Thanks. I'm officially standing on top of the hill. Next year, I'll be over it. LOL
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ned gets the start tonight....Deserved start. Big opportunity for him.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

He's gotta take the bull by the horns tonight and make the net his to lose.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Came across this poll from Vancouver media person.

Donnie & Dhali
@DonnieandDhali
Our #Bet99 poll question: Should the #Canucks give up Hoglander, Podkolzin and a 1st round pick for Jake Guentzel?

Vast majority of Canucks fan said no. What do we say? Seems like a strong offer with very minimal salary coming back.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Yes, absolutely. But GMKD won’t do it for several reasons, Crosby, they’re in the midst of a winning streak, and he’s the leading scorer.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Let me add HCMS to my list.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

KG wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:21 pm Came across this poll from Vancouver media person.

Donnie & Dhali
@DonnieandDhali
Our #Bet99 poll question: Should the #Canucks give up Hoglander, Podkolzin and a 1st round pick for Jake Guentzel?

Vast majority of Canucks fan said no. What do we say? Seems like a strong offer with very minimal salary coming back.
Pass
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Maestro wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:24 pm
KG wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:21 pm Came across this poll from Vancouver media person.

Donnie & Dhali
@DonnieandDhali

Pass
Also pass.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

BuckFoston
@BuckFoston_
Dhaliwal says the cost of Jake Guentzel is a 1st rounder, a top prospect, and a player.

This is the Vancouver guy. Don't know how credible he is. But if that's out there then maybe Jake will get moved. Could get a nice haul for him.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Not sure if there will be a wildcard at the end, but so far it looks like Jake would be the prize to get during the trade deadline. There is going to be one team who goes crazy. I guess we get to be on the other side of it for once. Kind of exciting.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:07 pm
Maestro wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:24 pm

Donnie & Dhali
@DonnieandDhali

Pass
Also pass.
It's at least worth considering, if they're out of the playoff picture come end of Feb. Hoglander, the 1st round pick - yes, but, in lieu of Podkolzin, I'd dig deeper into their prospect pool. Podkolzin should be at least a regular 3rd liner by now.