Formula 1 thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Formula 1 thread

Post by tifosi77 »

Last year I did a formula car track day with the Allen Berg Racing School out in Fontana. Basically got to do about 20 total laps, and had a total blast.

I just got an email from the school soliciting me for the opportunity to drive the Benetton B198 Formula One car, and have a meet-and-greet with Steve Matchett of NBC Sports the day before. Will only cost $5,595. Seems a steal.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Will he stick around and make any setup changes I request? If he's not going to get dirty and turn a wrench, I'm out.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

McLaren wrote:While there was nothing evident in the extensive car telemetry data, nor anything abnormal in the subsequent reconstructions and laboratory tests, Fernando recalls a sense of 'heavy' steering prior to the accident.

Consequently, the team has fitted an additional sensor to the car to increase our data capture.

Fernando is very much looking forward to getting back into the car and making a substantial contribution to our collective efforts with Honda, to accelerate the required improvement to our on-track performance.
Hmm.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

At least Alonso's ok. What would the circus be like if two owners had been charged with murder.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

CBear3 wrote:At least Alonso's ok. What would the circus be like if two owners had been charged with murder.
Do you remember the Senna trial(s) in Italy?
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Yeppers. I've always thought it was the steering column, but to charge somebody for a mechanical failure in a racecar is asinine. Having said that, I think I read somewhere that any death not deemed of natural causes had to have an investigation and at least charges brought in Italian court.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

That's correct; someone has to be found at fault for any non-natural death. Williams, Head and Newey were all acquitted in 1997, but a second court convened in 2007 (iirc) and convicted Head of manslaughter. The statute of limitations had run out, otherwise I don't think PH would ever be allowed to travel to Italy.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Well, the entire NHR forum seems to have disappeared in the offseason, moreso than I ever recall in my 15+ years of reading LGP, but it seemed worth noting to me that Jules Bianchi lost his fight after the crash in the Japanese Grand Prix last year. Things were dire ever since the crash, but I always held on to hope that he could have a miraculous recovery and regain consciousness. My heart goes out to his family, and I hope he is finally at peace.