George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by DelPen »

So thoughts on the differences between Clash of Kings and Season 2:

BOOK SPOLIERS
Spoiler:
CoK spent a lot more time with Yoren on the way to the Wall. When they get attacked the kids escape, come back the next day and root through the dead and then continue on foot and only later are they caught.

The birthed shadow scene was actually for a different reason, taking the castle at Storm's End. It was insinuated that it was Stanis's shadow before and then laste Davos sneaks melisandre in under Storm's End and you have that scene. But I understand for time and pacing the change.

Did Loras say he did not blame Brienne? Sounded like it. in CoK he went insane with rage and killed half of the Rainbow Guard after he saw Renly dead and obsessed over killing Brienne.

I like how they redid the story at Harrenhal. When Roose Bolton was with Rob Stark I though that was odd since he should be held captive at Harrenhal and Arya actually ends up being his cup bearer after he takes control. Tywin Lannister really isn't in CoK that much as he's off fighting in the Riverlands trying to get Jamie back if I recall so having him interact with Arya is a good improvement.

Littlefinger also taking a much more prominent role. He's barely in CoK (again if I remeber right). But the main characters keep changing I guess HBO needed more main characters even if it's shoehorning them into more scenes.

Amory Loch isn't one of Jaqen's victims, anticipating who #3 will be.

Danarys's stroyline is so out of whack but it really is this boring in CoK up until this point.
For those who have not read the books, each chapter is 5-10 pages from the POV of one character so it really does jump around just like the show. Unfortunately it does not make for great TV without some changes and even then it can't be followed casually and with missing the narration around scenes and flash backs some things can be confusuing, mainly every scene with Jon Snow so far. But if you have a short attention span then the books are fantastic. And Clash of Kings got better as it went on and Storm of Swords ended up being the best book in the series I think so if not oo much else is changed the rest of the season and Season 3 will be good.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Dragons are missing? I've been saying that all season...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Admin wrote:Dragons are missing? I've been saying that all season...
If you're watching the show just for the dragons, you're going to be sorely disappointed... at least for now. Baby dragons aren't going to raze cities.

Before the season, I saw an interview with the writers where they discussed the dragons. They said that you have to be careful with them because when the dragons are on the screen, that's all you will remember... not anything that's being said. And I tend to agree with that. At this point, they are too small to be more than a novelty.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

They're really going off the reservation with the Daenerys story line at this point. I think Emilia Clarke's acting is more offensive than the changes themselves though... she's starting to annoy me.

During the preview for next week, I could have sworn it said "Two More Episodes". Am I missing something? That was the 7th episode, and it was supposed to be another 10 episode season.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Why did they cast the worst actress for the best role?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

How dare all of you. Emilia Clarke comes from a fine acting pedigree that includes such cinema classics as SyFy's "Triassic Attack" and an appearance on the hit British soap opera, "Doctors". Enough with all of you Monday morning quarterbacks.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

the wicked child wrote:They're really going off the reservation with the Daenerys story line at this point. I think Emilia Clarke's acting is more offensive than the changes themselves though... she's starting to annoy me.

During the preview for next week, I could have sworn it said "Two More Episodes". Am I missing something? That was the 7th episode, and it was supposed to be another 10 episode season.
According to this, last night was episode 7 and there are 3 left. Now I swear I saw somewhere that the last episode was going to be a 2 hour one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/episodes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On another note I started reading Book 1. Really enjoying it, don't know how much I'll be reading after tomorrow when Diablo 3 come out
Last edited by stopper40 on Mon May 14, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i dont really mind emilia clarke, but its probably because i have given her a pass for her season 1 attire.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

She looks much better as a brunette, though.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

canaan wrote:i dont really mind emilia clarke, but its probably because i have given her a pass for her season 1 attire.
or lack thereof
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I didn't mind her in season 1, but now she just seems like a spoiled brat that isn't getting her way...
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

I will say I'm looking forward to seeing how they envision the House of the Undying.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

steve784 wrote:I will say I'm looking forward to seeing how they envision the House of the Undying.
ive been waiting all season for it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I wonder if they're combining the last 2 episodes into 1 and that is where the "2 episodes left" thing came from. I guess I don't really care as long as we get the full time.

We waited like a year for this season... can't believe it's almost over already. :scared:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Funny that Emilia Clarke replaced someone else after the pilot was already filmed. Can't imagine how bad the first actress was.

And she is a brat, she's only 15 or something in the books so she is still just a girl and often acts like one.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I find her pleasing to look at. She's supposed to be a bit melodramatic, because of her age and Targaryen lineage.

Semi spoiler, only read if you've read the books through Feast of Crows and watched the show:
Spoiler:
That last scene is the first time I wish I hadn't read the books. I remember reading it and being utterly disgusted with it. It of course happens again during the Red Wedding scene.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

the wicked child wrote:I wonder if they're combining the last 2 episodes into 1 and that is where the "2 episodes left" thing came from. I guess I don't really care as long as we get the full time.

We waited like a year for this season... can't believe it's almost over already. :scared:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Martin wrote that episode and they often double season finales.
Spoiler:
Battle of the Blackwater could be its own season, IMO :lol:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Semi spoiler, only read if you've read the books through Feast of Crows and watched the show:
Spoiler:
That last scene is the first time I wish I hadn't read the books. I remember reading it and being utterly disgusted with it. It of course happens again during the Red Wedding scene.
Spoiler:
I had the same feeling... that scene has a completely different effect if you've read the books.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

+1,000,000 btw for the courteous spoiler bracketing in this thread. it makes it readable for me. thanks, guys.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

canaan wrote:+1,000,000 btw for the courteous spoiler bracketing in this thread. it makes it readable for me. thanks, guys.
Spoiler:
no problem
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

not sure if i should click that or not.
Spoiler:
Hodor
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

canaan wrote:not sure if i should click that or not.
Spoiler:
Hodor
I shouldn't have clicked this, now everything is ruined for me.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

canaan wrote:not sure if i should click that or not.
Spoiler:
Hodor
Spoiler:
Has the show mentioned that his actual name isn't Hodor?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Hodor