LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Post by SoupOrSam »

Admin wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, is this back?
Yes, we'll try it again.
Thank you kindly good sir.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

BleuLineLady wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

Great discussion on Ted Cruz. You can see where some of his views are a little over the top, but most of his positions are based on reasonable premises.
As a liberal, I couldnt be happier that Cruz is in the race. He'll definitely throw a monkey wrench into the republican debates and make things entertaining at a minimum. Some Republicans thought after the last Presidential election that the problem was that Romney wasnt conservative enough. If they want to go in that direction, I say have it...they'll get the same outcome. Their policies dont match up well with the demographic or cultural changes in this country. Women, African Americans, Latinos, LGBT people are large voting blocks that are growing and frankly whoever the Republican candidate is will have to do a lot of work to start to even rebuild the bridges they continue to burn with them.
Obama is much more extreme in his views compared to the general public than Ted Cruz but the media won't report on what's actually going on. But Cruz is a little too conservative for the country as a whole. He will never compromise even when he's probably wrong on an issue which I don't want in my President.

I can see guys like Walker, Rubio and maybe Paul being right for the job where they can actually win a general election.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

That Ted Cruz bio from Fresh Air was delivered by the legal writer from the New Yorker. They talked a lot about Cruz's positions. His main directive seems to be a very literal interpretation of the constitution. I don't think a rigid uncompromising stance from the Constitution represents the position of the public.

I know there are a lot of people that would appeal to, but I think the majority of people don't treat the Constitution as a holy item.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

That's why Ted Cruz is a very good Senator for Texas like Elizabeth Warren is a good representative for Massachusetts. Neither would be a good person to represent the entire country.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Political talk

Post by America »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Good thing we traded 5 jihadists for him. Best trade since Ponikarovsky.
He's a hero though
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

BleuLineLady wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Totally agree, BLL. Teabaggers may love guys like Cruz and Santorum, but those kind of candidates are not going to win in a general election.
The Teabagging agenda only plays in segments and certain pockets of the country. It had success in past midterms because of low voting turnout and because a lot of districts are gerrymandered. But in general presidential elections, where turnout is higher, the Democrats have a natural advantage...especially now.
I think the phrase "Teabagger" is one of the reasons this thread gets shut down. You don't have to approve of the perspective, and its a commonly used term for Tea Party, but neither of thosegive you the right to use derogatory language.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

From just a practical perspective, a state that isnt exactly a major tourist destination outside of sports events just alienated a lot of people and scared away a lot of future revenue. Some companies may not come for conventions or events in the future anymore either. Republicans think of themselves as the serious business types. The free market thinkers. The Republican platform is "let government get out of the way" but that's BS. It always has been a loose interpretation that has its exceptions when it fits the Republican agenda.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... eedom-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

Pitt87 wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Totally agree, BLL. Tea Partiers may love guys like Cruz and Santorum, but those kind of candidates are not going to win in a general election.
The Tea Party agenda only plays in segments and certain pockets of the country. It had success in past midterms because of low voting turnout and because a lot of districts are gerrymandered. But in general presidential elections, where turnout is higher, the Democrats have a natural advantage...especially now.
I think the phrase "x" is one of the reasons this thread gets shut down. You don't have to approve of the perspective, and its a commonly used term for Tea Party, but neither of thosegive you the right to use derogatory language.
Removed and fixed.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04 ... latestnews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whenever I think the imbeciles in our federal government can't get any worse they make a huge leap in proving me wrong
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/05/us/kentuc ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't get the issue here. A black player calls a white player a racial slur that is used against blacks. That seems strange enough but where is the insult? If a white player called a black a redneck is it an insult? The whole story is silly.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

He basically said "f*** that guy", which by itself is an insult
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04 ... k-spanish/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can't make this up. The feds now consider Puerto Ricans in PR disabled if they can't speak English. I find it outrageous that SS disability payments go to people in the U.S. if they can't speak English. I guess disabled doesn't mean what it used to mean.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread

Post by ville5 »

http://sputniknews.com/world/20151008/1 ... ssile.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More propaganda from the government. Of course the propaganda is the disinformation spewed by the oligarchy that Russian missles landed in Iran, not the linked story.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I despise Donald Trump but every once in a while he is right. Jeb Bush said his brother kept us safe. I guess if you only look at his presidency starting 9/12/01 then sure, he kept Americans in the US at home safe.

But even though it would be really hard for anyone to blame 9/11 attacks on W, and I don't think Trump did, you can't say he kept America safe when the worst terrorist attack in US history happened on his watch. You can't dispute that. And for Jeb to try to push that as a defense of his brother was absurd.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Not a Jeb nor a tRump fan, so it doesn't bother me to see this intra-party scrap. Hoping both hit the road.