LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Political talk

Post by tifosi77 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Obviously you don't know about open container laws.
Throughout the entire city of New Orleans it is legal to drink in public. You can go into any bar and order a drink, and ask for a 'go cup' (altho I guess they call is a 'geaux cup') and laissez les bon temps rouler yourself out the door.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Was reading fear and loathing on the campaign trail during lunch today.

https://books.google.com/books?id=TUPtb ... ie&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This story is hilarious, and I can't believe it's real. Thompson gives his press pass to some aggressive alcoholic that gets on Muskie's train and causes a huge scene. Thompson finds out about in the paper the next day and was probably doped up and had no immediate recollection why the guy had his pass.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

Yes there are some exceptions like NO or historic district savannah, but most do not allow.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Grunthy wrote:Before I bash the guy, please provide a link where he said this.
It's being attributed to his speech at CPAC, but if you search the exact phrase in quotes like the 4th result on Google is this thread.

Hmm.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

After digging around more, it appears that quote from CPAC never happened and it was a hoax. That goodness because that was all kinds of scary.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Good
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/politics/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Glad to see him charged. They've dragged this thing out unnecessarily. There's been constant rumors that politicians wanted this to go away and be forgotten. There's a lot of sentiment that he shouldn't do prison time and that's okay with me.
But he should have no vet benefits, not receive the 300k+ backpay from his time in captivity and should receive a less than honorable discharge and be busted to buck private. They should offer him no jail time for some type of guilty plea as long as he's kicked out losing the pay, benefits etc. He should disappear back in Idaho or wherever he's from. He'll still get a million $ book deal and be set up for life.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Would a DD and this kind of reprimand put Bergdahl within the scope of a Son of Sam law?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Good thing we traded 5 jihadists for him. Best trade since Ponikarovsky.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Post by SoupOrSam »

Whoa whoa whoa, is this back?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

SoupOrSam wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, is this back?
Yes, we'll try it again.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great discussion on Ted Cruz. You can see where some of his views are a little over the top, but most of his positions are based on reasonable premises.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

Troy Loney wrote:

Great discussion on Ted Cruz. You can see where some of his views are a little over the top, but most of his positions are based on reasonable premises.
As a liberal, I couldnt be happier that Cruz is in the race. He'll definitely throw a monkey wrench into the republican debates and make things entertaining at a minimum. Some Republicans thought after the last Presidential election that the problem was that Romney wasnt conservative enough. If they want to go in that direction, I say have it...they'll get the same outcome. Their policies dont match up well with the demographic or cultural changes in this country. Women, African Americans, Latinos, LGBT people are large voting blocks that are growing and frankly whoever the Republican candidate is will have to do a lot of work to start to even rebuild the bridges they continue to burn with them.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Totally agree, BLL. Teabaggers may love guys like Cruz and Santorum, but those kind of candidates are not going to win in a general election.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

Tico Rick wrote:Totally agree, BLL. Teabaggers may love guys like Cruz and Santorum, but those kind of candidates are not going to win in a general election.
The Teabagging agenda only plays in segments and certain pockets of the country. It had success in past midterms because of low voting turnout and because a lot of districts are gerrymandered. But in general presidential elections, where turnout is higher, the Democrats have a natural advantage...especially now.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

Classy phrase by liberals often used by Pelosi. I'm not a tea party guy although I agree with anti-big government,anti drunken- sailor government spending views.
Ironic that Pelosi would use that term since she represents an area that celebrates gayness. For her to derisively use the term against political opponents is ironic to say the least. So much for progressive sensitivity.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Actually, in the early days of the Taxed Enough Already movement that phrase was used by a lot of the people at rallies as a self-descriptor. That's how the joke originated.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

What does "celebrating gayness" have to do with that act? The very picture on your link is a hetero representation.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

That link: Ummmmm...yeah. Uh, so, yeah.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote:Actually, in the early days of the Taxed Enough Already movement that phrase was used by a lot of the people at rallies as a self-descriptor. That's how the joke originated.
I went through this with EPP and even had to post a photo of some old geezer :pop: wearing a "I'm a Tea Bagger" button. That one's on the people who made and sold the button to him.....at an early Tea Party rally.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

slappybrown wrote:What does "celebrating gayness" have to do with that act? The very picture on your link is a hetero representation.
Maybe a better term would have been sexual adventurism or sexual depravity depending on your viewpoint. SF is one of the birth places of the LGT I- forget- the- rest movements. It's all good IMO ;whatever floats their boats. My point was that Pelosi / liberals should be the last people to use derisive sexual terms against political opponents. I have no idea whether teabagging is more popular among straights or gays (and please don't tell me cause I don't want any more info). The only thing I know about it was that was practiced at high school football camps as hazing freshman (in the face).
Liberals lecture others about about "inclusiveness, acceptance etc. Strikes me as typical hypocracy to use derisive sexual terms against others unless calling someone a teabagger is some kind of compliment.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

columbia wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Actually, in the early days of the Taxed Enough Already movement that phrase was used by a lot of the people at rallies as a self-descriptor. That's how the joke originated.
I went through this with EPP and even had to post a photo of some old geezer :pop: wearing a "I'm a Tea Bagger" button. That one's on the people who made and sold the button to him.....at an early Tea Party rally.
Never heard that so I learned something new. If they call themselves that others certainly could also call them teabaggers. I stand corrected.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I eill agree that it was quickly picked up on and used as a derogatory. But if you're going to willingly give someone that kind of source material....
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

columbia wrote:I eill agree that it was quickly picked up on and used as a derogatory. But if you're going to willingly give someone that kind of source material....
You're right, although it pains me to say so :)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

:fist: :lol: