Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by count2infinity »

cars at opposing red lights, car 1 is making a left, car 2 is going straight or right. when the light turns green in most places (and by the letter of the law) car 2 has the right of way, but usually in Pittsburgh, it's customary that car 1 proceeds first as to not have to wait for the long line of cars behind car 2 to make the left turn.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

count2infinity wrote:cars at opposing red lights, car 1 is making a left, car 2 is going straight or right. when the light turns green in most places (and by the letter of the law) car 2 has the right of way, but usually in Pittsburgh, it's customary that car 1 proceeds first as to not have to wait for the long line of cars behind car 2 to make the left turn.
And when I am car #2 it's customary that I floor it to increase their fear of being t-boned.

'Cause I'm that type of guy.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

count2infinity wrote:cars at opposing red lights, car 1 is making a left, car 2 is going straight or right. when the light turns green in most places (and by the letter of the law) car 2 has the right of way, but usually in Pittsburgh, it's customary that car 1 proceeds first as to not have to wait for the long line of cars behind car 2 to make the left turn.
Is it customary for car #2 to allow car #1 to go? What if there is a line of cars behind #1?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:the people who execute the 'pittsburgh left' when there are no cars behind me. for example - driving through wilkinsburg at 6AM, there is no need to execute the pittsburgh left as we are the only 2 motorists on the road. you will be able to turn left behind me in 3 seconds.

additionally - driving through wilkinsburg. its like the wild west. stop signs seem to be optional
key in wilkinsburg is to utilize the parallel side streets to penn
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i react immediately on green, so if someone tries a [city] left, they aren't beating me through the intersection. and if they do, i tip the hat to them. i enjoy those rare times when they try it, and are stuck in the middle of everything because i blocked their turn.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Is it customary for car #2 to allow car #1 to go? What if there is a line of cars behind #1?
A person doing the pittsburgh left doesnt care if theyre allowed, they just go. When car 2 flashes the lights or waves them on, i just consider it courtesy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shmenguin wrote:i react immediately on green, so if someone tries a [city] left, they aren't beating me through the intersection. and if they do, i tip the hat to them. i enjoy those rare times when they try it, and are stuck in the middle of everything because i blocked their turn.
Yeah i usually watch the other light and am moving when my light turns green. I love blocking them.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

If that is common in [city] I would probably wave car #1 through if I was car #2. Probably depends on the day I am having though.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

slappybrown wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:the people who execute the 'pittsburgh left' when there are no cars behind me. for example - driving through wilkinsburg at 6AM, there is no need to execute the pittsburgh left as we are the only 2 motorists on the road. you will be able to turn left behind me in 3 seconds.

additionally - driving through wilkinsburg. its like the wild west. stop signs seem to be optional
key in wilkinsburg is to utilize the parallel side streets to penn
That early in the AM penn is the way to go. Coming home I always take south street. However this is when the stop sign incidents occur. People traveling south from penn just blow right through then
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

car #2 needs to let things run their course naturally. people designed the timing of these lights in the most effective way possible. if you let them in, it's possible someone behind you doesn't get through the light. in which case - you, car #2, are the problem.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

PensFanInDC wrote:If that is common in [city] I would probably wave car #1 through if I was car #2. Probably depends on the day I am having though.
If there is a line behind me i usually will wave someone on. You can usually get a feel for whether theyre going to try to jump the light though and if thats the case ill get out in the intersection as fast as possible. If they dont go as soon as the light changes though, i go.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

right...with all this being said, there are still times when i'm human and will allow the guy to make a turn. i just don't run into any of those scenarios in my day-to-day driving.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

MIMH in summer: "ugh, it's so hot. I can't until the winter; the cold is so much more bearable than the heat"
MIMH in winter: "ugh, it's so cold. I can't until the summer; the heat is so much more bearable than the cold"
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shmenguin wrote:right...with all this being said, there are still times when i'm human and will allow the guy to make a turn. i just don't run into any of those scenarios in my day-to-day driving.
The intersection right near my mom's house calls for it sometimes because of the way the light works, but I agree.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I am annoyed by the lack of a hockey related thread that would be active and involve a lot of people... When does regular camp start? When is the first preseason game? I am almost considering spending $9.99 a month...

(WWE Network comment...)
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

This may have been mentioned but:

People who write emails in the subject line.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

PensFanInDC wrote:This may have been mentioned but:

People who write emails in the subject line.

RockApplause.gif

I ended up telling one lady in the office that if I'm viewing my email on a company issued phone, the subject line will cut off after 50 characters.

It worked for a few months. 8-)
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

The subject line for our internal message system only allows so many characters in the subject line. There is the mental midget that uses the entire subject line, then moves into the body part...mid word!
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

David muir
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle)

EITHER IT'S ZERO OR NOT!!!!
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Partial could imply that it runs on electricity (and thus, 0 emissions) under a certain speed?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

PZEV parking gets me close to the bottom of the garage when I visit the hofbrauhaus.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My 2003 accord is a PZEV. It has 205k on the clock, a check engine light, and rotten egg smell coming from the cat. I doubt it's partial, or zero. Lol
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

From google...

A partial zero emissions vehicle is a vehicle that has zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system, has a 15-year (or at least 150,000-mile) warranty on its emission-control components, and meets SULEV tailpipe-emission standards.

My forester is PZEV, but honestly never really paid attention to what it meant.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

But "partial" and "zero" together make no sense...that's why it's my irrational peeve.

Don't try to rationalize it!!!

Dammit.