Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shafnutz05 »

I have a confession to make.....my wife is CrossIcePass...FOOLED YOU SUCKAS
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

All the stupid little municipalities in Allegheny Cahny. I think I remember actually reading somewhere that there's an apartment complex or condo development over near Robinson somewhere that's actually its own borough.

When I come into town on 65 from Beaver I go through: Leetsdale, Sewickley Hts, Sewickley, Emsworth, Ohio Twp, Kilbuck, Ben Avon, Avonworth, Belleview, Pittsburgh.... just off the top of my head in like a 15 mile stretch.
CrossIcePass
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by CrossIcePass »

PghSkins wrote:All the stupid little municipalities in Allegheny Cahny. I think I remember actually reading somewhere that there's an apartment complex or condo development over near Robinson somewhere that's actually its own borough.
Pennsbury
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

661 residents as of 2010 census
Pennsbury is a unique borough in that it is entirely a municipality of condo-style houses, having been built in 1973. In 1976 there was a disagreement with Robinson Township over proposed sewage treatment fees, which triggered the self-government attempt. In 1977 it separated from the surrounding township and became an Allegheny County borough. The words of the Declaration of Secession included "that we can govern our affairs more effectively and equitable than a distant and disinterested authority". The first council of officials and a mayor were elected and took office in January, 1977.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsbury_ ... nnsylvania" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Speaking of rugby, I can't stand when commentators use "rugby scrum" to describe a gathering of players in another sport (Doc Emerick uses it a lot).
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

People do that? I've heard "scrum" but not "rugby scrum" in other sports.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

In Canada it's just called scrum... /P_G
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

PensFanInDC wrote:People do that? I've heard "scrum" but not "rugby scrum" in other sports.
I know (er, I think) I've heard Doc say "rugby scrum" many times.

If they just say "scrum" then that's fine but a rugby scrum is different. A scrum is defined by disorder and chaos while a rugby scrum is extremely ordered and lawful.
Spoiler:
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

I'm not old enough to have one kid in high school and one in middle school.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

the people who execute the 'pittsburgh left' when there are no cars behind me. for example - driving through wilkinsburg at 6AM, there is no need to execute the pittsburgh left as we are the only 2 motorists on the road. you will be able to turn left behind me in 3 seconds.

additionally - driving through wilkinsburg. its like the wild west. stop signs seem to be optional
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:the people who execute the 'pittsburgh left' when there are no cars behind me. for example - driving through wilkinsburg at 6AM, there is no need to execute the pittsburgh left as we are the only 2 motorists on the road. you will be able to turn left behind me in 3 seconds.

additionally - driving through wilkinsburg. its like the wild west. stop signs seem to be optional
Agreed. To piggy back, the cars that goose it and it appears they are going to make the Pittsburgh left, but never turn their wheel. They sorta sit in the middle of the intersection.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Why is it a Pittsburgh left?

It's way more prevalent in Boston and New York. You just figure the person opposite is going to do it. Sometimes the person behind them, too.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

When people don't turn on their headlights, but stop one click short so that just the yellow lights are on.
1) It's harder to stop short and do this.
2) In fog or rain I still can't see you.

Turn on the lights the whole way.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

yubb wrote:When people don't turn on their headlights, but stop one click short so that just the yellow lights are on.
1) It's harder to stop short and do this.
2) In fog or rain I still can't see you.

Turn on the lights the whole way.
And if your vehicle is equipped with foglights, turn those on too.

It was some of the worst fog I have ever seen this morning and some people flat out didn't even have any lights on at all. I think a lot of people whose cars have foglights don't even know they have them.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

seeing NHL abbreviated as N.H.L. in newspapers and magazines.

I realize it's technically correct as it is an abbreviation, but more often than not it is listed as NHL. Seeing it with the .'s between letters looks wrong.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

PghSkins wrote:Why is it a Pittsburgh left?

It's way more prevalent in Boston and New York. You just figure the person opposite is going to do it. Sometimes the person behind them, too.
They call it the "wherever left" other places too.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

On the traffic issue, people that dont coorperate with me when im trying to box someone out that is passing on the right.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Idoit40fans wrote:
PghSkins wrote:Why is it a Pittsburgh left?

They call it the "wherever left" other places too.
There are dbags everywhere. Call it a dbag left.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Some would call it maximizing the utility of the intersection. Which it is if you don't have to slow your progress for them. In my dumpy little town we have lots of timed lights that stay green for 20 seconds, and often the person at the head of the line is texting, putting on lipstick, or beating their kid in the back seat and won't notice the green light until 12 seconds in, screwing everyone behind them. I don't blame the driver on the opposite side for executing a Pittsburgh left in the meantime.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Ive been given a ticket for going left when the c-bomb across from me waited 5 or 6 seconds after the light turned green and then decided to lay on her horn when i went. Thinking about that actually makes me pretty furious again.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

For as much as I loathe everything I probably use my horn about 2 times a year. My wife uses it about once per round trip, I think she thinks it's magic, as if it can turn stupidity into common sense if applied heavily enough.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

It has been a while since i used it. I think the last time was because someone realized they had been doing something stupid and wouldnt look at me. I needed them to so they could see the hand gesture i was using.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

:lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Maybe I missed where it is explained but what is a Pittsburgh left?
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

The entire Boston student population and their parallel parking inabilitites. The big influx of students happened on Monday and with them comes parking issues again. The streets in Boston neighborhoods are normally one ways with no room to go around someone parking. It is infuriating to wait five minutes for someone to park, because they couldn't get into a spot after multiple tries.
My favorite one was yesterday, where after 7 tries at parking, a student just parked three feet from the curb, got out and headed for their apartment. They parked it so far that I couldn't actually get around them. I had to yell at them to come back and move the car more. They gave up after the next attempt and drove away. I swooped in and took the enormous spot in one try. I miss the Boston summer already, its been 2 days...