Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

According to Matt Vensel of the PG, he states that Friedman said the on his 32 thoughts podcast recently that the Penguins have interest in Michael Bunting (which comes from Dubas connection). Not sure why Carolina would move him. Only way I could see that happen is if Carolina wasn't happy or Bunting was happy, and we could do a Reilly Smith for Bunting type of deal. Bunting is 4.5M for 2 more seasons, versus Smith being 5M for 1 more season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:08 am According to Matt Vensel of the PG, he states that Friedman said the on his 32 thoughts podcast recently that the Penguins have interest in Michael Bunting (which comes from Dubas connection). Not sure why Carolina would move him. Only way I could see that happen is if Carolina wasn't happy or Bunting was happy, and we could do a Reilly Smith for Bunting type of deal. Bunting is 4.5M for 2 more seasons, versus Smith being 5M for 1 more season.
I read somewhere that they may look to move out Bunting to bring in a goalie. Bunting for Jarry?? :wink:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:22 am
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:08 am According to Matt Vensel of the PG, he states that Friedman said the on his 32 thoughts podcast recently that the Penguins have interest in Michael Bunting (which comes from Dubas connection). Not sure why Carolina would move him. Only way I could see that happen is if Carolina wasn't happy or Bunting was happy, and we could do a Reilly Smith for Bunting type of deal. Bunting is 4.5M for 2 more seasons, versus Smith being 5M for 1 more season.
I read somewhere that they may look to move out Bunting to bring in a goalie. Bunting for Jarry?? :wink:
I don't really think Carolina needs a goalie any longer. Unless they are looking for backup - Kochetkov seems to be taking over and doing quite well.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pitts wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:28 am
I don't really think Carolina needs a goalie any longer. Unless they are looking for backup - Kochetkov seems to be taking over and doing quite well.
I could see a Bunting for Smith swap closer to the deadline—if rumors of Smith being unhappy are true. Maybe, it could be a bit larger with something like POJ thrown in and a prospect with AHL eligibility added on Carolina's end. Bunting is younger, cheaper and locked in for longer.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I would not be surprised if Smith was unhappy. I am sure he is being told how he needs to learn how to play his position by the expert coach that barely was an NHL player but seems to know how to rework every single players game. Smith was a career .62ppg player before coming here and a .68ppg over the previous 5 years, which actually includes a substandard 2021, where he only was a .47ppg that year in 53 game. He was also a .307gpg over those 5 years. Yet here, so far he is a .54ppg player mostly playing with Malkin, including a .216gpg. So, he has seen almost a 30% drop in goal production compared to his last 5 year average and 20% in points, playing on the second line.

Interestingly, EK is on pace for about 56 points over 82 games. One can look at his history and see that in seasons where he was injury limited to 55 or so games (there are a lot of those years, including literally the 4 consecutive seasons prior to last season), that was about normal. When he was injury limited for those 4 years, he produced .67ppg on a largely bad SJ team, until he played a full season last year for the first time in 5 years, and had 101 points in 82 games. Funny thing is, when you go back and look at his years in OTT before SJ, he put up 9 mostly low/no injury seasons, and averaged .826ppg. Even more interesting, over his career, in the 5 seasons where he played 81+ games (82 four times, 81 once), he scored an astonishing .98ppg. So far here, he has looked healthy and played every game, like last year, except now he is only putting up .70ppg. A pace that he last was at when he played 50 games for SJ in 21-22, and is still either lower than or about where most of his injury ravaged seasons in SJ fell, where while playing 50-56 games a year, he put up .70, .42, .714, .85ppg. Interesting that over his entire career, he has never scored less than .80ppg when playing a full season, and even that was only once.

Amazing how many players come here and are just total misses, mistakes, errors, supposedly overrated talents that get acquired because they look great elsewhere for years and then come here and are busts, fall off, miss their historical production, "don't fit" etc. Wonder when we will figure out the common link.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Do you remember when we were kids and there were trades in the NHL? I am not sure what happened exactly but the league is stale. Teams just seem stuck.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:57 pm Do you remember when we were kids and there were trades in the NHL? I am not sure what happened exactly but the league is stale. Teams just seem stuck.
I think a stagnant salary cap and a ton of overpaid players are the reasons. Once the cap has a significant increase I think we'll see more trades.

What team can actually make a trade without giving up substantial cap the other way or with a third team to complicate things even more?
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

No movement clauses should be eliminated next CBA
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Also good to see all those recent Penguins doing well for other clubs. Good to see washed up HOF Jim Rutherford and former assistant coach Rick Tocchet not only do a quick turnaround in Vancouver but have them in 1st place ahead of the current champions.

Good to know the current 6 year Penguins quagmire is all of their fault and not the person who was head coach that entire time. Good to know he's still the best in the world.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Maestro wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:34 pm No movement clauses should be eliminated next CBA
Two words: DUMB GMs. GMs have gotten the league to where we are paying 4th liners 2M. GMs are giving out NTCs and NMCs like candy as a way to beat out other teams for their services.

The Penguins have THIRTEEN PLAYERS with some form of no movement clause. That's in the top 5 of the league for most NTC/NMCs.

The stagnant cap has definitely had it's effect, but when the cap goes up 4M next year, if dumb GMs don't rein in the way they operate, all it means is blowing more money on guys who shouldn't be paid nearly that much.

Why pay a Nieto and Acciari and such so much money when you can pay DOC and Puustinen in your bottom 6 under 1M each, and have another 2M in extra cap space. The NHL has ALWAYS been short on talent. So many kids drafted each year with only 25-30% of them ever playing an NHL game. It doesn't help when guys with decent talent can't crack the lineup because coaches and GMs want to continually bring in aging retreads on overpaid contracts to do the job instead.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Maestro wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:34 pm No movement clauses should be eliminated next CBA
From a team's perspective, you offer this as an option to lower the expense of a true top-tier talent. Player is valued at $1k, but team can only offer $800, so they sweeten the pot with certainty. $800 per year + 7 years of knowing that your kids will grow up in the same community with the same friends, your spouse can plan family events with others familiar families. Easy to understand.

How about limit each team one full NMC. Only one player is eligible for the Diamond contract. Gold, one per team, 3 years NMC. Bronze, one per team, 2 years NMC. Diamond, player has veto power of being traded to 15 teams, Gold, veto power over 10 teams of being traded to, Bronze, veto power over 7 teams of being traded to.

One Luxury per team, at a direct team monetary expense.

Luxury tier, one per team, 1 year NMC, however, team must pay the NHLPA $500k to be used for former player's and ref's who need medical support after four years? post retirement.

Just some thoughts...
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

BigMcK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:16 pm
From a team's perspective, you offer this as an option to lower the expense of a true top-tier talent. Player is valued at $1k, but team can only offer $800, so they sweeten the pot with certainty. $800 per year + 7 years of knowing that your kids will grow up in the same community with the same friends, your spouse can plan family events with others familiar families. Easy to understand.

How about limit each team one full NMC. Only one player is eligible for the Diamond contract. Gold, one per team, 3 years NMC. Bronze, one per team, 2 years NMC. Diamond, player has veto power of being traded to 15 teams, Gold, veto power over 10 teams of being traded to, Bronze, veto power over 7 teams of being traded to.

One Luxury per team, at a direct team monetary expense.

Luxury tier, one per team, 1 year NMC, however, team must pay the NHLPA $500k to be used for former player's and ref's who need medical support after four years? post retirement.

Just some thoughts...
I like your ideas and terminology for those tiers of NMCs. I think the league needs to save some of these GMs from themselves.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Right on! The Penguins have way too many. Guentzel is next.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
As I mentioned earlier today on
@NHLNetwork
, as of today it sounds like Jake Guentzel is likely going to wait until the end of the season before getting into any serious contract discussions with the #LetsGoPens. He's eligible to become a UFA this July.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Pitts wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:28 am
They'd like a strong 1B behind Kochetkov and know Raanta isn't really the answer and Freddie's return ever is a real unknown, but they aren't going to overpay to get a Jake Allen type. They have Aaron Dell on a PTO at the moment.

Bunting aka Matthew Barnaby v2.0 minus the fighting is probably unhappy in Carolina and he's usually a 4th liner these days for them after being tried some in the top-6, though he's a fixture on PP#1. The Canes man-to-man system isn't a good fit because his two-way play is real suspect. Earlier when the Canes were struggling for some consistency, Brind'Amour and players in the post game mentioned a few times that not everyone on the team was buying into the system and the speculation was that they were talking about Bunting and also maybe Necas. Dunno....seems the rumor here was Dubas inquiring about Bunting and not Waddell shopping him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bunting did get moved later for a goaltender. not a forward.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:50 am David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
As I mentioned earlier today on
@NHLNetwork
, as of today it sounds like Jake Guentzel is likely going to wait until the end of the season before getting into any serious contract discussions with the #LetsGoPens. He's eligible to become a UFA this July.
Pagnotta talked to Guentzel's agent Ben Hankinson. Here's what he had to say:

“He's on the last year of a deal. The good news is I have a really good relationship with Kyle Dubas. Jake Guentzel is in a great spot. He started his career there. It's no secret the team is getting older. There are some Hall of Fame players on that team. What's going to happen, I don't know. But I'm going to lean on conversations I've already had with Kyle, including in the summer, including conversations with Jake. I think the good thing is we'll all be on the same page. Could it get ugly? Yes, it could. Kyle has to make decisions, too, which way the team is going and the investment he's going to make with Jake. Is it the same direction? It's going to come down to how they play and we'll put our heads together. And like we talked about a couple of minutes ago, all the things that go into trade deadlines, (Kyle) might look into what he can get for Jake or what it costs to sign him. There's a lot that will happen in two months, and I don't know the answers to that. But I do know Jake loves Pittsburgh. He's a hockey player. He's had some good success and fun in that city. We'll see.”

It sounds like the perfect scenario may be for the Penguins to try and "double/triple dip." If they are out of the playoffs, trade Guentzel for a 1st and a prospect. Then come back to Jake in the summer and sign him. Then in a few years, trade him away again when starting the rebuild. That would probably be best case scenario.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

I think if it gets to the offseason they lose him for nothing……
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Skatingpen wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:24 pm I think if it gets to the offseason they lose him for nothing……
I think you are right, and, I think there is another element that people may not be thinking of. For as much as Jake Guentzel may "love playing in Pittsburgh," maybe Jake wants to win another Cup, and Jake is a smart enough guy to see that doing so in Pittsburgh isn't going to happen.

Just another reason why moving Jake at the deadline is still the best option...playoffs or no playoffs. Move him at the deadline. Get your 1st and a prospect, and roll the dice that you can potentially bring him back this summer. If you can't, then you at least got assets for him.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Skatingpen wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:24 pm I think if it gets to the offseason they lose him for nothing……
That's my fear also. He has a M-NTC as it is now. Even if they traded him before the deadline, there's nothing stopping him from nixing a deal if it involves one of the 12 teams he won't accept.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I really don't see the Pens dealing Jake. They are still a win now team ( or at least they're suppose to be). I see them signing him. 40 goal scorers don't grow on trees. He fits like a glove with Sid ( who we want to retire a Pen). He's 29, not 36. He has plenty of years ahead of him. They had no problem giving Rakell a 6 year deal (who is 1 year older than Jake).

I get that the prospect cupboards are bare. But as long as Sid is here they owe it to him to remain competitive. Easier said than done also that we can just replace Jake in UFA. Pens window is all but shut, why would a strong UFA come here? I would sign Jake and kick the can down the road a few more seasons. Maybe look to move Rust in the off-season and replenish some assets.

Trade Smith for a different top 6 option or a pick and use that money to sign someone etc. Point is I don't see them blowing it up and moving their 2nd best forward.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:34 pm
I think you are right, and, I think there is another element that people may not be thinking of. For as much as Jake Guentzel may "love playing in Pittsburgh," maybe Jake wants to win another Cup, and Jake is a smart enough guy to see that doing so in Pittsburgh isn't going to happen.

Just another reason why moving Jake at the deadline is still the best option...playoffs or no playoffs. Move him at the deadline. Get your 1st and a prospect, and roll the dice that you can potentially bring him back this summer. If you can't, then you at least got assets for him.

Agree 💯
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Dubas in on Bunting is an all too familiar vibe. Remember when Hextall got Carter? On a side note, the Acciari signing is starting to look pretty solid. Being a GM is like being on the power play, if you get enough shots to the net, you may get one past the tender. One thing is for certain, the leadership that Crosby has provided this season may be his best career performance. He is willing this team to wins and his work ethic seems to be rubb8ng off on everyone. I may be overly optimistic, but I think this version of the Penguins has some intangibles we have not seen since the cup run. This team’s best hockey might be ahead of them. Consistency will be the next step. The second line had a terrible game in Boston. But thatnis how it works when you go on a run. One line has a bad game and the other dudes step up and get the job done.

Sorry for the ramble.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

pronovost19 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:24 pm Dubas in on Bunting is an all too familiar vibe. Remember when Hextall got Carter? On a side note, the Acciari signing is starting to look pretty solid. Being a GM is like being on the power play, if you get enough shots to the net, you may get one past the tender. One thing is for certain, the leadership that Crosby has provided this season may be his best career performance. He is willing this team to wins and his work ethic seems to be rubb8ng off on everyone. I may be overly optimistic, but I think this version of the Penguins has some intangibles we have not seen since the cup run. This team’s best hockey might be ahead of them. Consistency will be the next step. The second line had a terrible game in Boston. But that is how it works when you go on a run. One line has a bad game and the other dudes step up and get the job done. I expect Geno to come out with big energy tonight.

Sorry for the ramble.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Oops
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

stonewizard51 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:09 pm
That's my fear also. He has a M-NTC as it is now. Even if they traded him before the deadline, there's nothing stopping him from nixing a deal if it involves one of the 12 teams he won't accept.
I think IF he is traded at the deadline, with the intent of a strong intent to sign him this summer...he'd likely go to a playoff team where he's making a run for a Cup, not a team that he could likely nix a trade.