Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by tifosi77 »

All suspending the football program does is create about 100 new victims in this case. Certainly not on the scale of those who were involved in the Sandusky case, and I don't mean to imply any sort of equivalency. But this just doesn't seem like a problem that's solvable by forcing 100 kids who had absolutely eff all to do with this nonsense to sit out a year, some of whom undoubtedly have career aspirations in the sport, many (most?) of whom chose Penn State specifically because of the opportunities afforded by the football program.

The primary actors involved in the cover up have, for the most part, already been purged from the University. One has since died, and the others await their fate in the judicial system. The University is likely already facing a massive civil liability in these matters. Suspending the football program does not communicate that the University is interested in justice, it communicates it is interested in acting indiscriminately so that it appears they are out for justice.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

tifosi77 wrote:All suspending the football program does is create about 100 new victims in this case. Certainly not on the scale of those who were involved in the Sandusky case, and I don't mean to imply any sort of equivalency. But this just doesn't seem like a problem that's solvable by forcing 100 kids who had absolutely eff all to do with this nonsense to sit out a year, some of whom undoubtedly have career aspirations in the sport, many (most?) of whom chose Penn State specifically because of the opportunities afforded by the football program.

The primary actors involved in the cover up have, for the most part, already been purged from the University. One has since died, and the others await their fate in the judicial system. The University is likely already facing a massive civil liability in these matters. Suspending the football program does not communicate that the University is interested in justice, it communicates it is interested in acting indiscriminately so that it appears they are out for justice.
that's what I tried to say, but not anywhere near as well as you tif. well done. :thumb:
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

penny lane wrote: To be crude; In sandusky's world, jail means more sex.
I think that's an overly simplistic view of a pedophile. I don't think sex is really the main factor; control, thriving on other's vulnerabilities, and being put on a pedestal are probably more gratifying to them. If it was just sex then normal people find other outlets for that.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

ulf wrote:
steve784 wrote:
jimjom wrote:Sports by Brooks who I've been depending on for info on the trial via twitter is reporting that prosecutors have a new group of accusers ready to testify should JS be acquitted
Can't stand him. Could be good reporting of this if he didn't constantly mix it with whatever personal axe it is he has to grind. His assault on Dick Vitale on twitter was embarassing.
That was my initial opinion on him, but it's not like he's just a jerk when it comes to PSU, he's like that on every topic. Which I think is good reporting. Clogs my twitter feed sometimes though :thumbdown:
He confidently tweeted in November that anyone who thought a jury with PSU ties wouldn't acquit Sandusky was "dead, flat wrong". He issued a half-arsed retraction yesterday. He's a clown who got his start talking about gambling and hot women and is now impossible to take seriously. It's like trying to take Green Day seriously as a band with social causes when you think about what "Longview" (their first big hit) was about.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

MWB wrote:I think that's an overly simplistic view of a pedophile. I don't think sex is really the main factor; control, thriving on other's vulnerabilities, and being put on a pedestal are probably more gratifying to them. If it was just sex then normal people find other outlets for that.
What you are describing is the mindset of a rapist, not a pedophile. Because rape is not about sex, it is about those elements you describe.

Pedophilia is a sexual condition. The mechanisms you describe are more tools of the trade, so to speak, the means to an end for a pedophile. For a rapist, those things are the end, and the act of forcible sex is the method.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I was thinking the same thing as I typed that. However, I think there are a lot of similarities between the rapist and pedophile, especially in Sandusky's case where there were forced aspects.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

tifosi77 wrote:
MWB wrote:I think that's an overly simplistic view of a pedophile. I don't think sex is really the main factor; control, thriving on other's vulnerabilities, and being put on a pedestal are probably more gratifying to them. If it was just sex then normal people find other outlets for that.
What you are describing is the mindset of a rapist, not a pedophile. Because rape is not about sex, it is about those elements you describe.

Pedophilia is a sexual condition. The mechanisms you describe are more tools of the trade, so to speak, the means to an end for a pedophile. For a rapist, those things are the end, and the act of forcible sex is the method.
The way I understand it, a true pedophile doesn't 'understand' that what he's doing is wrong. It a sexual and psychological condition. In his mind, the sexual aspect of the 'relationship' is normal...it's a progression of the feeling of 'love' for the child. It's really twisted.

Having said that...I don't think Jerry's going to be experiencing feelings of 'love' in prison, which is to the original point of this topic. In his mind, he was not a predator...but he will most certainly be the prey behind bars.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

malkinshair wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

The way I understand it, a true pedophile doesn't 'understand' that what he's doing is wrong. It a sexual and psychological condition. In his mind, the sexual aspect of the 'relationship' is normal...it's a progression of the feeling of 'love' for the child. It's really twisted.

Having said that...I don't think Jerry's going to be experiencing feelings of 'love' in prison, which is to the original point of this topic. In his mind, he was not a predator...but he will most certainly be the prey behind bars.
You are totally right, here. And I didn't mean to imply that the sexual expression was somehow exclusive of the psychological malfunction.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

malkinshair wrote:Having said that...I don't think Jerry's going to be experiencing feelings of 'love' in prison, which is to the original point of this topic. In his mind, he was not a predator...but he will most certainly be the prey behind bars.
Jailed thugs locked up alongside serial child molester Jerry Sandusky ridiculed him during his first stint at Centre County Correctional Facility in December, singing lyrics from a Pink Floyd song: "Hey, teacher! Leave those kids alone!" according to a report.

A former inmate told tablet newspaper The Daily that the disgraced ex-Penn State coach had his own cell in the sex offenders’ unit when he spent a night at the jail following his initial arrest.

The 22-year-old former prisoner, identified only as Josh, said the other inmates were barred from talking to Sandusky.

But, as soon as the lights went out, they taunted him with a few famous bars from Pink Floyd's 1979 album, "The Wall."

"At night, we were singing 'Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone,' " Josh said, quoting the lyrics.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1101791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

I'm doubting Sandusky is put in general population
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Sandusky on suicide watch
http://www.canada.com/sports/Sandusky+s ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

IanMoran wrote:I'm doubting Sandusky is put in general population
No, but they probably arent putting him in solitary either. He will be protected from physical harm. Verbal? Doubtful.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:Sandusky on suicide watch
http://www.canada.com/sports/Sandusky+s ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While I don't doubt that he poses a higher-than-normal risk of offing himself, it is actually fairly common practice to put new inmates on suicide watch for their first couple days in the hoosegow. That's the time when the new ward of the state is likely to be the most despondent and of the mindset to put their humiliation to an end.

That said, he apparently sat motionless while the verdicts - all 48 of them - were read. At the conclusion of the reading, he looked to his wife and shrugged.
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SirMario66 »

Wow anyone just see the report by CNN with those emails. Confirms coverup between Paterno, Curley, Schultz, and spanner.

Basically, after the 2001 shower incident that mcquery reported, Curley, Schultz, and spanner were going to notify second mile and department of child welfare. The next day, Curley sends an email saying "after talking it over with Joe, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps."

You know the rest of the story. They never report it. Sandusky rapes kids for 10 more years. And Joe pa was one of the main contributors to the coverup. Tear down his statue.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

link anyone?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Wow. Crazy.

Link to a picture of the email...

http://yfrog.com/kfezuyavj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

screen cap of someone capping it off CNN on tv obviously...
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

obviously not good for the people that are involved in that e-mail.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Can't find it on the CNN site though which I guess is a bit odd.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

skullman80 wrote:Can't find it on the CNN site though which I guess is a bit odd.
I found that weird too. I also find it odd that Joe is not on the e-mail list, just the other 3.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

count2infinity wrote:obviously not good for the people that are involved in that e-mail.
Yeah I would say so.
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SirMario66 »

count2infinity wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Can't find it on the CNN site though which I guess is a bit odd.
I found that weird too. I also find it odd that Joe is not on the e-mail list, just the other 3.
He doesn't use e mail. As far as the three in the email chain, wow. Serious jailtime for all of them.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Is that pic a screencap of the actual email? The quotation marks around the wording don't make sense for it to be a real email. Or is this just a mock up/graphic created by CNN to accompany the story?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I'm honestly not sure. I didn't see the story on CNN, I guess it ran around 8PM, I just saw the screen cap someone posted.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Hockeynut! wrote:Is that pic a screencap of the actual email? The quotation marks around the wording don't make sense for it to be a real email. Or is this just a mock up/graphic created by CNN to accompany the story?
i'd say the latter.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Is it still taboo to bash Paterno for his role in this now? Is he still bullet proof to those who love him and could only talk about the good he did when this came down? Gross.