The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Malkamaniac wrote:What exactly does Paul Alexander even bring to the morning show? Aside form dominant conversation tactics and a completely annoying voice.
we get to hear about how cool he is and how he went to penn state and how he works for FSN and is really neat
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

i feel like i just described chris berman. doesnt bring anything to the table. real annoying. thinks he poops rainbows
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:What exactly does Paul Alexander even bring to the morning show? Aside form dominant conversation tactics and a completely annoying voice.
we get to hear about how cool he is and how he went to penn state and how he works for FSN and is really neat
Exactly why I no longer have desire to listen to the morning show. I love GG, and I liked it when it was -alexander. Now it's going to be garbage.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i feel like i just described chris berman. doesnt bring anything to the table. real annoying. thinks he poops rainbows
I need to hear about his SERIOUS dark roast every morning.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Troy Loney wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:i feel like i just described chris berman. doesnt bring anything to the table. real annoying. thinks he poops rainbows
I need to hear about his SERIOUS dark roast every morning.
sheetz. official coffee of the fan morning show.

i hate that he only drinks one type. get outside of your comfort zone. break the routine.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

IronDukes37 wrote:Changes at The Fan per Smizik
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... -show.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Giannotti to mornings with Alexander and Colony, Philiponi and Muller each move up one show time slot.
Burton to evening news reader!!!
Like Giannotti move to the morning. I really like him.

Wish they would have moved Alexander instead of Burton. I thought giannotti and burton worked well together.

It was only a matter of time before Bell was fired. She kept screwing up pretty much every time she read any updates.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I will admit though, Alexander has been tolerable lately. No more impromptu name dropping of people and places, no more emphases on having interviewed Barry Bonds before he took steroids....just the standard talking over of people and bringning little of relevance to the discussion.

But i haven't heard a guest on the air in a while....but i don't think he could be any worse than he was when jay mohr was on.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

hey paul alexander played some really nice golf courses

just ask him about it sometime!!!
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

IronDukes37 wrote:
I mean, The KillerChihuahua show aside, Sunday morning there was some guy actually screaming into the mic
Tom Grimm was on Sunday mid-morning (is he tKC?)
He mentioned to a caller that he had been fired from two previous jobs, one we probably never heard.
I assume he meant the WXDX HD2 Pens Radio gig, anyone know for sure? Any news on who will be on HD2?

Saturday morning, Wydo's cross-talk argument with Dunlap was classic, Wydo insisted bookies should be voters for the HOF.
He called Dunlap colon a few times, to which Dunlap replied curtly "umm, it's Colin by the way..." too funny.

Heard JB doing a news update after 11pm the other night. That's bull IMO, they did him wrong.
That is a shame. JB, from all accounts, is a great guy. I was happy to see him back in the Pittsburgh media after he was let go by Channel 4. Hopefully people write to station management to get JB back during the day.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Why Not Us »

Sent The Fan a text seeing if Alexander could butcher some NHL names to prepare for the season, so he texted back send a list. So I said: Marek Svatos, Ruslan Salei, Lukas Krajicek, Tuukka Rask, and Simyeon Varlamov. He then replied he could only read 3 of those names, with...

"Its a sight thing. I have the pronunciation guide and still screw it up."

and

"I don't watch enough hockey when the Pens aren't playing. Should probably watch more highlights instead of just reading on line."

Was good to see he can at least admit his problem.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

they never text me back
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Why Not Us »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:they never text me back
the morning show does more than the others
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Why Not Us »

IronDukes37 wrote:hahahaha, they read that on the air, they had fun with it, joked that he would read one a day until hockey season starts...he read Simyeon Varlamov today.
Funny part though, Giannati told a story about a guy he worked with in NYC that hated hockey because he could not pronounce any players names....I wanted to text "umm...Kalena Bell"
Damn, I wish I had been able to listen to that. I only texted in because everyone was discussing alexander on here and texting him that would relieve some boredom at work. Now I'll have to text him more names when I wake up in the morning.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

JB just tweeted: Again, I was not fired or demoted! I'm doing nightly sportscasts at the staion and I'll have an expanded role with Steelers coverage!
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

I always got annoyed at JB's stupid impressions and their lame attempts at trying to do skits like DVE, but I really like JB. It's a real shame that he got axed.

It was obvious that the three of them couldn't coexist on the same show, though. Way too often did the show descend into nothing but yelling over top of one another. I admit, I really did like the morning with GG and Alexander swapped.

In all, I like Paul, but I think he'd be best on his own or with only one other person, not two.

H-A-T-E Grimm, though. Hate. Stopped listening to Pens HD2 because of him and I will most definitely be changing the station on Sundays when in the car now, too.

At least I can go back to Pens HD2. :lol:
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:JB just tweeted: Again, I was not fired or demoted! I'm doing nightly sportscasts at the staion and I'll have an expanded role with Steelers coverage!
I'm not sure, but it seems like JB has the most ins with the Steelers, particularly the players. That's going to be a full time job right there.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

newarenanow wrote:
IronDukes37 wrote:Changes at The Fan per Smizik
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... -show.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Giannotti to mornings with Alexander and Colony, Philiponi and Muller each move up one show time slot.
Burton to evening news reader!!!
Like Giannotti move to the morning. I really like him.

Wish they would have moved Alexander instead of Burton. I thought giannotti and burton worked well together.

It was only a matter of time before Bell was fired. She kept screwing up pretty much every time she read any updates.
I didn't hear GG before he got here, but he seems like he could really open up the jets and show more personality but is playing it close to the vest with the newness of the job and station.

They really need to get Bruce Jacobs and/or Chuck Booms, while they're at it.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

IronDukes37 wrote:Steelers beat reporter maybe? Sounds good if so, they definitely need that and JB would be great, just don't use Bruce Arians as a source, a la Ken Laird....

Tunch Ilkin and Craig Wolfley are back on 970 11a-1pm
I hate Tunch. He's a moron and makes me want to die. Made some comment about headbutting his children last year and I haven't listened to anything with him since.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Paul Alexander is the biggest ahole in Pittsburgh. That is all.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I dislike skits in the am with the Fan. Just stick to what you promote yourself as doing.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Malkamaniac wrote:I dislike skits in the am with the Fan. Just stick to what you promote yourself as doing.
Paul Alexander was talking about how he was fired....sort of gloating about it. Just shut the **** up and pretend you know sports.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

So, how about they were doing construction in the building earlier this week that you could hear over the air?

Professional!