30 min waits for entry into CEC

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 30 min waits for entry into CEC

Post by ffemtreed »

Jim wrote:
Fat Old Frank wrote:
BurghThing wrote:"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
- B. Franklin
You can say that again.
What liberty are you giving up by going through a metal detector to go to a sporting event?
The god given right to protect yourself from others who wish to do harm.

Maybe we should all be implanted with chips that the govt can scan and track you, I mean really what liberty are you giving up? :face:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

ffemtreed wrote:
Jim wrote:
Fat Old Frank wrote:
BurghThing wrote:"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
- B. Franklin
You can say that again.
What liberty are you giving up by going through a metal detector to go to a sporting event?

Maybe we should all be implanted with chips that the govt can scan and track you, I mean really what liberty are you giving up? :face:
So, what you are saying, is that you want to carry a firearm and/or knives with you to your seats at the hockey game, right?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Realist wrote:
penny lane wrote:Realist, have you been sleeping since September 11, 2001? The concept of all freedom changed.
Someone last year took a gun to a game, Fla? Maybe Colorado?
I know many legal CCW who carry at sporting events where no policy is in effect. Again, Im still waiting for the last time a shooting occured at one.....ever.
Are you forgetting the shootout that happened in our very own city during a sporting event? I believe it was in 1995.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Realist wrote:
penny lane wrote:Realist, have you been sleeping since September 11, 2001? The concept of all freedom changed.
Someone last year took a gun to a game, Fla? Maybe Colorado?
I know many legal CCW who carry at sporting events where no policy is in effect. Again, Im still waiting for the last time a shooting occured at one.....ever.
Yeah... so then why would someone need a firearm to protect themselves if there are no occurrences in which protection would be needed?

The platform of, "You can not come up with a single time where a firearm was actually needed so I should be allowed to carry one" does not make sense.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Maybe we should all be implanted with chips that the govt can scan and track you
depends if the chip sets off the medal detector??? Then we would be in a world of crap.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Jim wrote: Yeah... so then why would someone need a firearm to protect themselves if there are no occurrences in which protection would be needed? .
I have never had my house robbed either, but I still lock the doors when I leave home....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

Realist wrote:
Jim wrote: Yeah... so then why would someone need a firearm to protect themselves if there are no occurrences in which protection would be needed? .
I have never had my house robbed either, but I still lock the doors when I leave home....
I don't see why. Wouldn't it be better if you came home and got to shoot someone?
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Jim wrote: So, what you are saying, is that you want to carry a firearm and/or knives with you to your seats at the hockey game, right?
I believe, per the 2nd amendment of the Constitution, that I and others have the right to bear arms to protect myself. If someone has private property and does not want patrons to carry guns/knives/pepper spray, etc....fine.

But, when my OWN TAX DOLLARS are paying for their said stadium....it isn't right. First we had wands, now metal detectors....next it will be body cavity searches....

CEC is in the middle of the Hill District....being unarmed in that area of town (particularly on your way to your own car in an unsecured parking lot..let alone into the arena) is b.s.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

ffemtreed wrote:
Jim wrote:
Fat Old Frank wrote:
- B. Franklin
You can say that again.

right, metal detectors at a sporting event and government implanted chips are on the same level.......

I bet you wont fly either, that darn government trying to stop people from crashing planes into buildings and/or blowing the plane up.

There is a line for sure, but metal detectors are not it.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

The Snapshot wrote:
Realist wrote:
I don't see why. Wouldn't it be better if you came home and got to shoot someone?
Who are you? BOOM Castle Law!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Realist wrote:
Jim wrote: So, what you are saying, is that you want to carry a firearm and/or knives with you to your seats at the hockey game, right?
I believe, per the 2nd amendment of the Constitution, that I and others have the right to bear arms to protect myself. If someone has private property and does not want patrons to carry guns/knives/pepper spray, etc....fine.
Lets not get into a debate about what the second amendment actually means. That will take a long time, and your interpretation will lose. Just so you know, I have a carry permit and more than an average number of shooters, and carry blades. I have had a gun pulled on me twice and a knife once (and I have never handed over any possessions). Just saying so that you know my situation.

Realist wrote:But, when my OWN TAX DOLLARS are paying for their said stadium....it isn't right. First we had wands, now metal detectors....next it will be body cavity searches....
Tax dollars built the courthouse too. Schools are built with public funding. The zoo...

Realist wrote:CEC is in the middle of the Hill District....
No, it really isn't. At all.

Realist wrote:being unarmed in that area of town (particularly on your way to your own car in an unsecured parking lot..let alone into the arena) is b.s.
No, it really isn't. At all. Going to your car after the game is probably one of the "safest" situations you would be in that day (and I don't even know what you do before the average game, but the comment stands).
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Skatingpen wrote:There is a line for sure, but metal detectors are not it.
One red line, two blue... and two goal lines.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Jim wrote:
Realist wrote:
Lets not get into a debate about what the second amendment actually means. That will take a long time, and your interpretation will lose. Just so you know, I have a carry permit and more than an average number of shooters, and carry blades. I have had a gun pulled on me twice and a knife once (and I have never handed over any possessions). Just saying so that you know my situation.

Realist wrote:But, when my OWN TAX DOLLARS are paying for their said stadium....it isn't right. First we had wands, now metal detectors....next it will be body cavity searches....
Tax dollars built the courthouse too. Schools are built with public funding. The zoo...

Realist wrote:CEC is in the middle of the Hill District....
No, it really isn't. At all.

Realist wrote:being unarmed in that area of town (particularly on your way to your own car in an unsecured parking lot..let alone into the arena) is b.s.
No, it really isn't. At all. Going to your car after the game is probably one of the "safest" situations you would be in that day (and I don't even know what you do before the average game, but the comment stands).

What the heck do you do to get a gun pulled on you not once but twice? That is scary stuff.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

he's had some really heated debates about Fleury.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Skatingpen wrote:What the heck do you do to get a gun pulled on you not once but twice? That is scary stuff.
There are people out there that really REALLY liked Orpik!

HA!
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Jim wrote: Lets not get into a debate about what the second amendment actually means. That will take a long time, and your interpretation will lose.
Ummm...no it isn't...maybe your reading the statutes that are differerent than precident in the U.S. I have had training in exactly what this is by the way....here endith the lesson. The fact that you carry a gun and don't know....scares me actually. But, I respect your 2nd amendment rights.
Jim wrote: No, it really isn't. At all. Going to your car after the game is probably one of the "safest" situations you would be in that day
So, your stating that one of the "safest situations" I could be in is return to my car, unarmed, at 11 pm at night in the Hill District after a Pens game? Compared to returning to my car at say....South Hills Village? Wow...

Jim, just in case you need a refresher course on what happens in the Hill District...you must not know, so I'll provide this link to help you out...just keep scrolling down: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/tag/hill-district/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim wrote: Tax dollars built the courthouse too. Schools are built with public funding. The zoo...
Follow the bouncing ball....a PRIVATE company that we paid taxes to build their facility.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

All right guys. Settle down and rip a bong load.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Realist wrote:
Jim wrote: Lets not get into a debate about what the second amendment actually means. That will take a long time, and your interpretation will lose.
Ummm...no it isn't...maybe your reading the statutes that are differerent than precident in the U.S. I have had training in exactly what this is by the way....here endith the lesson. The fact that you carry a gun and don't know....scares me actually. But, I respect your 2nd amendment rights.
I am glad that the lesson endith, because it would have been about as factual, and correct, as teaching creation instead of evolution in school. ie: incorrect. I also respect your 2nd amendment rights, even though you are somewhat confused as to what they actually are.

Realist wrote:
Jim wrote: No, it really isn't. At all. Going to your car after the game is probably one of the "safest" situations you would be in that day
So, your stating that one of the "safest situations" I could be in is return to my car, unarmed, at 11 pm at night in the Hill District after a Pens game? Compared to returning to my car at say....South Hills Village? Wow...
Yes, I am... The fact that you carry a gun and don't know....scares me actually. (not really, but it fits)

Realist wrote:Jim, just in case you need a refresher course on what happens in the Hill District...you must not know, so I'll provide this link to help you out...just keep scrolling down: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/tag/hill-district/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do not need to be reminded of what happens in the Hill.

Realist wrote:
Jim wrote: Tax dollars built the courthouse too. Schools are built with public funding. The zoo...
Follow the bouncing ball....a PRIVATE company that we paid taxes to build their facility.
Eh... it's a stretch as a reason to have different rules, but I will give you that one.
King Kessel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by King Kessel »

ffemtreed wrote:
Jim wrote:
Fat Old Frank wrote:
- B. Franklin
You can say that again.

Let me be clear, I really don't care one way or another other than to say that yes, People will start being ''branded'' or implanted with microchips. Look at children who are abducted and never found (for example). They have these sorts of things implanted in dogs, humans aren't gonna be far behind. Like it or not, it's inevitable. Maybe five years or ten years down the road but it's coming. Learn to accept it or live in the woods with DA Bears.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

dark_forces wrote:All right guys. Settle down and rip a bong load.
Yeah, additional paranoia is exactly what is needed HA!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

King Kessel wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:
Jim wrote:
Fat Old Frank wrote:
- B. Franklin
You can say that again.

Let me be clear, I really don't care one way or another other than to say that yes, People will start being ''branded'' or implanted with microchips. Look at children who are abducted and never found (for example). They have these sorts of things implanted in dogs, humans aren't gonna be far behind. Like it or not, it's inevitable. Maybe five years or ten years down the road but it's coming. Learn to accept it or live in the woods with DA Bears.
Technically already happening: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31042477" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

I don't have the freedom to carry my personal effects on me. I always have a pocket knife on me. Except when I go to the games (or the airport) I usually have my .380 on me, again, except when I go certain places. I have a permit. The Constitution guarantees my right to own it, but society has deemed that the freedom of owning and possessing items that you own is overridden by some temporary safety concerns.

Ben Franklin was a very smart man.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

Not that this thread is about the long waits any more (if it ever was), but I was at last night's game, and again, no issue getting in at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯