AHL rule changes include 7 min. OT

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: AHL rule changes include 7 min. OT

Post by Jim »

no name wrote:My only point is a shootout doesn't make me say at the end of the night, "We beat that team we were better than them" we just won a penalty shot competition. That doesn't help you during the playoffs. I would just like the NHL to find a way to have the games decided in a hockey way.
Going 4-4 or 3-3 is not less "not real playoff hockey" like than a shootout.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Jim wrote:
no name wrote:My only point is a shootout doesn't make me say at the end of the night, "We beat that team we were better than them" we just won a penalty shot competition. That doesn't help you during the playoffs. I would just like the NHL to find a way to have the games decided in a hockey way.
Going 4-4 or 3-3 is not less "not real playoff hockey" like than a shootout.
I never said 4-4 or 3-3 was "not real playoff hockey." i want to see the regular season ending in a hockey goal by a 4-4 or a 3-3. I don't want shootouts. Its getting the 4-4 or 3-3 to produce the results of helping minimizing the shootouts from happening.

If a game goes to 3 on 3 i can see alot more conclussions of games happening before a shootout. If you think about it players point totals will go up which would be a great bi-product of the 3 on 3. Players like Sid, Ovi, Stamkos could get 10 extra points a year playing in those 3 on 3. I wonder if the AHL will count 3 on 3 goals to players point totals?? I don't see why not.

I also think on any 3 on 3 a penalty should be a penalty shot. There is a problem Mikey brought up, once the NHL coaches get hold of the 3 on 3 they will find a way to shut it down and make it a snooze fest.
Last edited by no name on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I am just saying that "x" is not very hockey like really doesn't matter. Frankly, you already played 60 minutes of your style of hockey. Your style didn't win. If the sport is going to do some sort of OT... and regular hockey didn't get it done... then it is time to change it up. As long as it is hockey related (ie: not shooting basketball hoops) then it really doesn't matter. Get it done in 60 or go home.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Jim wrote:I am just saying that "x" is not very hockey like really doesn't matter. Frankly, you already played 60 minutes of your style of hockey. Your style didn't win. If the sport is going to do some sort of OT... and regular hockey didn't get it done... then it is time to change it up. As long as it is hockey related (ie: not shooting basketball hoops) then it really doesn't matter. Get it done in 60 or go home.
I understand more what you mean now and i can't argue what you said. If the NHL could fix the game and just get more goals during the first 60 minutes that would get you results and less OT games. Besdies calling more penalties i don't know what the NHL could do to get more goals.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Equipment: skaters and goalies. Reduce roster sizes to slow the pace of the game. Both would yield an increase in goals, almost instantly.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I always thought if they enforced line changes on the fly that once a guy got to the boards the other could jump on. That side of the ice would remain a little more open.

Goalie equipment.... look at pictures of how equipment changed over the years and how much it grew. Its unreal. When the goalie equipment actually fit the players. Hell Fleury is a string bean and looks like he is hugh in net.

Another rule change would be players can't leave their skates to block shots. Sure seeing a player give up his body is kinda exciting but seeing a goal scored is more exciting.

Also remove the trapazoid, for no other reason than i don't care for it.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'd rather just lose hard-capped equipment. Lose the linebackers on skates so you're actually sacrificing the body...I don't want to see players get hurt or anything, but a few bumps and bruises and laying down to a block a shot won't seem so fun anymore...neither will be a guided missile on skates who just tries to splatter defensemen against the end boards...

You run around with invincibility and that's what happens...look at the college game, it's not a high quality game really...you got the hard-capped equipment, you got the stupid cage on and you don't have to (well, not allowed to) answer for your shenanigans because there's no fighting...it's not pretty...

When you're not invincible, you're a little more cautious about what you do...slow the game down a tick, let skill blossom...
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

One thing i am sick of and really wish it would change is that during the playoffs the game wasn't called differently. I mean just call the game like it was during the regular season. Byt not calling peanlties you are hurting the skilled teams who use the power play to win games. Force the unskilled teams to not take penalties to win. The cup finals doesn't showcase the best skill it focuses on the teams who can trap and shutdown their oppenenets. Maybe that might explain why the Pens do terrible in the playoffs when other teams can goon it up vs us and we fall off our game.

The different playoffs games is almost as bad as the OT fomat during the regular season. No more shootouts don't change the game.