2014 NHL Trade Rumors/Trades/Signing Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: 2014 NHL Trade Rumor Thread

Post by Crankshaft »

I think Vokoun is going to retire at the end of this contract.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

pcm wrote:I could also see Edmonton dumping dollars on him, thiking he's the answer. Say they trade Eberle for a #1 dman, then sign Callahan to be their Patton, and pick up a veteran backup to go with Scrivens...maybe Vokoun?
Trade Vokoun to Edmonton? Way to kick a guy when he's down.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

slappybrown wrote:I don't think there's much doubt Callahan could get between 6.5-7 on the open market. 7 is hardly an outrageous ask on his part IMO given the market.

I wouldn't give it to him, but someone would.
$6.5 to $7 million for what? Is he a brain surgeon during the offseason and I'm unaware of it?

29 goals 25 assists for 54 points is his career best and that's with a lot of power play time. This is his 8th NHL season. The guy is a 55 point player in this league and that's only if he gets to play on the number one power play and picks up 20 points. If he goes to a team where he doesn't get power play time he's basically something between Pascal Dupuis and Matt Cooke. If you want to pay for his leadership you might be able to convince yourself he's worth $4.5 million a year, but I wouldn't go higher than that.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

David Clarkson makes $5.25MM a year for the next bazillion years. Callahan is a much better player then Clarkson. $6.5MM multi-year deal on the UFA open market for Callahan isn't far fetched at all.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

KG wrote:David Clarkson makes $5.25MM a year for the next bazillion years. Callahan is a much better player then Clarkson. $6.5MM multi-year deal on the UFA open market for Callahan isn't far fetched at all.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Jim wrote:
KG wrote:David Clarkson makes $5.25MM a year for the next bazillion years. Callahan is a much better player then Clarkson. $6.5MM multi-year deal on the UFA open market for Callahan isn't far fetched at all.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
I'm not saying I'd do it, but he will get his money. Especially with the cap going up....
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

I'd pay Callahan $6.5m for 4 years max. I think he could be worth it to a young up and coming team. Every year thereafter I'd go for $4m max. So if he wants 7 years, that'd be $38m, or 5.4 annual cap hit.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I don't think Callahan has hit 30 goals. For some reason thats magical.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I usually try to look for comparables when thinking about player contracts. This one seemed rather easy - Mike Richards. The fact that Holmgren signed Richards to that re-dic deal clouds it a bit, but $5.75AAV is pretty fair to both parties. Callahan should be looking for similar numbers.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

meow wrote:I usually try to look for comparables when thinking about player contracts. This one seemed rather easy - Mike Richards. The fact that Holmgren signed Richards to that re-dic deal clouds it a bit, but $5.75AAV is pretty fair to both parties. Callahan should be looking for similar numbers.
I agree that Richards is a solid comp for Callhan, but Richards was not a UFA when he signed that deal, as Callahan is set to be. Bump up that annual. He will probably get $6issshhhh....
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

That's a good point. Perhaps Holmgren's insanity will wash the difference out.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Richards wasn't worth his deal and still isn't. His best is still far better than Callahan. Callahan isn't worth anywhere near $6M let alone $7. What has he done to deserve that? Seriously 29 goals is the most he's ever scored and 54 points. His career high in points was in 11-12. He was tied for 73 in the league in scoring. He has 24 points in 40 games played this year. 16 at even strength. That's 5 more even strength points than Tanner Glass in 1 less game played.

Why are his comparisons only to other bad contracts? There are a lot more fair value ones. How about Zetterburg at a little over $6M a year? Bergeron at $6.5M, M. Koivu $6.75M, Pavelski $6M, Marleau $6.6M, Thornton $6.75M, D. Sedin $7M. Those are all guys around his age who make what he wants to make and most have just recently signed. All are far superior players. It's not even close.

Here are the cap hit comparables for next year of guys making around $7M.

http://capgeek.com/comparables/?player_ ... ar_id=2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is for $6.5M

http://capgeek.com/comparables/?player_ ... ar_id=2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is for $6M

Here is for $5M

Filppula age 29 with career high of 66 pionts signed last year at $5M
Weiss age 30 with career high of 61 points signed last year at $4.9M
Hartnell age 31 with career high of 67 points signed last year at $4.75M
Horten age 28 with a career high of 62 points signed last year at $5.3M

And this is where I think he belongs at $4.5M.

http://capgeek.com/comparables/?player_id=241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purcell age 28 with career high 65 points at $4.5 million signed last year.
Backes age 29 with career high 62 points at $4.5 million signed 2011.
Laich age 30 with career high 59 points at $4.5 million signed in 2011.
Burrows age 32 with career high 67 pints at $4.5 million signed in 2013.

Notice the last guy on that list is Ryan Callahan with a career high 54 points. He's making what he should right now.
Last edited by sniper on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7036 ... l:topheads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They gave Tim Thomas a no-movement clause?!!?!??!
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I don't think thats going to come in to play.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

I'd say Pavelski is the best comparable out there. Then guys like J. Staal and Lucic. All signed for $6m, and the latter two as RFA's. Callahan is captain of his team. Tack on $500k. Whomever offers 7 years wins.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

pcm wrote:I'd say Pavelski is the best comparable out there. Then guys like J. Staal and Lucic. All signed for $6m, and the latter two as RFA's. Callahan is captain of his team. Tack on $500k. Whomever offers 7 years wins.
Those are two over paid players. Again why is he compared to only other overpaid players? Pavelski is actually earning his money this year and looks to be worth $6M moving forward.

Callahan is a 55 point player with roughly 20 of those points coming on the power play. His worth is $4.5 a year. Maybe $5 if you feel the need to add for leadership. At even strength he's around the Dupuis, Sutter, Cooke territory in point production. That's it.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

sniper wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I don't think there's much doubt Callahan could get between 6.5-7 on the open market. 7 is hardly an outrageous ask on his part IMO given the market.

I wouldn't give it to him, but someone would.
$6.5 to $7 million for what? Is he a brain surgeon during the offseason and I'm unaware of it?

29 goals 25 assists for 54 points is his career best and that's with a lot of power play time. This is his 8th NHL season. The guy is a 55 point player in this league and that's only if he gets to play on the number one power play and picks up 20 points. If he goes to a team where he doesn't get power play time he's basically something between Pascal Dupuis and Matt Cooke. If you want to pay for his leadership you might be able to convince yourself he's worth $4.5 million a year, but I wouldn't go higher than that.
Again, would I do it? No.

Will someone? Yes. That's reality.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

sniper wrote:
pcm wrote:I'd say Pavelski is the best comparable out there. Then guys like J. Staal and Lucic. All signed for $6m, and the latter two as RFA's. Callahan is captain of his team. Tack on $500k. Whomever offers 7 years wins.
Those are two over paid players. Again why is he compared to only other overpaid players? Pavelski is actually earning his money this year and looks to be worth $6M moving forward.

Callahan is a 55 point player with roughly 20 of those points coming on the power play. His worth is $4.5 a year. Maybe $5 if you feel the need to add for leadership. At even strength he's around the Dupuis, Sutter, Cooke territory in point production. That's it.
Who are you arguing with? No one in this thread has said he's "worth" 6-7mm. Only that the market -- and those contracts you keep refusing to use as comparables because they are "overpaid" -- reflects that he's going to likely get 6-7.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

lol, good stuff in here.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I'm going to have a nice little giggle when Callahan signs for $7+/7years
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

meow wrote:I'm going to have a nice little giggle when Callahan signs for $7+/7years
Its not out of the realm of possibility. Top line RW, captain, heart and soul guy. If Clarkson, a 2nd line wing, gets 6.25 in a year when the cap is at its lowest it will be for ever after, with the market ballooning the way it is, Callahan could very well giggle all the way to the bank.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'm starting to see a Sam Gagner for Kyle Clifford rumour, with EDM picking up salary.

I have no idea how accurate it is, but The Royal Half (Kings blog) picked up on it.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

MRandall25 wrote:I'm starting to see a Sam Gagner for Kyle Clifford rumour, with EDM picking up salary.

I have no idea how accurate it is, but The Royal Half (Kings blog) picked up on it.
Kings would need to dump a little more salary for this to happen. Saw Martinez being thrown around and then the Kings picking up another D-man somewhere.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Kyle Clifford is a good, meat and potatoes guy, but he doesn't have a big upside. Unlike Toffoli, who Edmonton really wants...and they aren't alone. If it's Clifford and a 2nd for Gagner, it's fairly underwhelming return for a guy who had looked like he had turned the corner...but right now, he's still just Dave's kid...the Oilers might start sending off long-time losers there and freshen up that culture...

Clifford is better and younger than Hendricks, so it's good to see the Oilers addressing the fact that they have a junior team playing a pro game...but until these men are inserted into effective scoring roles, the results can't change all that much...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Ya know, also, if the Oilers are keeping salary...the feeling around the league is that that is worth its weight in gold, at least right now...if they retain salary and only get back Clifford, a pick (a 2nd? a 3rd?) and a prospect (Deslauriers?), I think that's a pretty limp return...

If we're talking Toffoli straight across, you got something...if we're talking Clifford and 1st, I think that's even tipping the scale...if we're talking Clifford, a 2nd, and Hudson Fasching or Derek Forbort, I think you have a better fit for the Oilers long-term...I mean, this is a 2nd line center here, the Oilers don't have an heir apparent on that right this second (Arcobello will stop gap it, I suppose)...it's easy for me to say you got to get a quality piece...but the idea of a re-tooling here after going through a 5, 6 year rebuild isn't to a) go backwards and trade off these guys for futures and/or b) not get back quality.

Clifford is a 4th line player on most teams I believe, maybe becomes a fringe 3rd...ok that's great, there's nothing wrong with that...but that needs to be paired with something of better quality...

But maybe my feeling on Gagner's value is off...but let me put it this way, I'd rather have Gagner+$500,000 raise than Clifford and a 3rd for him...