DiPietro to Bridgeport...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: DiPietro to Bridgeport...

Post by tfrizz »

DiPietro: I was 'kidding' about reported suicide remarks
Later in the afternoon, DiPietro told and ESPN.com's Katie Strang and The New York Post's Brett Cyrgalis respectively that he was "kidding" and being "100 per cent" facetious on his remarks about suicide.

"I'm just trying to bring light to the fact of how important my wife has been," DiPietro told The Post. "It's been a trying last couple years.

"There have been times that I've been depressed, and I don't know where I'd be without the support of my wife."

Islanders' general manager Garth Snow released a statement on Thursday saying the team would address the issue.

"We are aware of Rick's comments today and the severity of them. We will handle them internally as we do with all player matters," said Snow.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

mikey287 wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
DiPietro isn't like that at all. He loves the game so much, it's absolutely his first passion. He desperately wants to play and would give anything to make it happen. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for him. And I'm not one of those "oh won't somebody please think of the children!" types...DP is about as good of a guy as there is in the game, and my heart goes out to him...
he may be a good guy but he clearly doesn't live in the real world. it absolutely baffles me that he couldn't see this coming. perhaps he has too many people around him (agents, friends, family) blowing smoke up his a**. the Islanders have given him more than enough time to get his act together health-wise and it hasn't happened. smart move to cut him loose.
it would be a fantastic comeback story to have him come back in a year or two and win the Vezina &/or The Cup. if TT can do it why can't DiPietro?
Get his act together? The parallel between Thomas and DP doesn't make any sense to me...TT was just not good enough to play in the league, DiPietro is more than good enough, he just suffers freak, debilitating injuries a lot. It's not like he's sitting there drinking beers on the bench wondering why they don't put him in...
Elaborate on Thomas being "not good enough" to play in the league. Because the man is a two time Vezina Trophy award winner, a one time Jennings Trophy award winner and was a big part of the Bruins winning the cup in 2011.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_ ... de-comment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm, so I was right.
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
DiPietro told me that he was trying to be funny. "I've used that exact quote before... Obviously it's not something you joke about."
Retweeted by Greg Wyshynski
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Elaborate on Thomas being "not good enough" to play in the league. Because the man is a two time Vezina Trophy award winner, a one time Jennings Trophy award winner and was a big part of the Bruins winning the cup in 2011.
Tim Thomas was drafted in 1994. He didn't play in the NHL until he got just 4 games in 02-03, with a 3.00 GAA. He didn't get a starting job in the NHL until 06-07.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

That's pretty bad, DP...I'm glad that he's not serious about that, because he didn't seem like the type...but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

And re: Thomas. I've been over this a thousand times. Nobody wanted him, he sucked in Boston badly, and then Julien and Chara showed up and all of a sudden he's the best goalie ever...well, now second best goalie ever now that Tuukka Rask plays there too...lolstats.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

MRandall25 wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Tim Thomas was drafted in 1994. He didn't play in the NHL until he got just 4 games in 02-03, with a 3.00 GAA. He didn't get a starting job in the NHL until 06-07.
Okay fair enough.

Anyways it's a shame about what happened to DP. Even though he was lucky enough that he was drafted into a Mickey Mouse organization that threw him a boatload of money to the point where he doesn't have to worry financially, as a player you want to play and earn your paycheck and he was unlucky enough he really couldn't do that because he had a body made of glass.
Last edited by Tim Thomasen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Why didn't NYI use their amnesty buyout on him this past summer?

I can't wait until next year when he gets a chance somewhere else - I've always liked the guy
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Tim Thomasen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
DiPietro isn't like that at all. He loves the game so much, it's absolutely his first passion. He desperately wants to play and would give anything to make it happen. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for him. And I'm not one of those "oh won't somebody please think of the children!" types...DP is about as good of a guy as there is in the game, and my heart goes out to him...
he may be a good guy but he clearly doesn't live in the real world. it absolutely baffles me that he couldn't see this coming. perhaps he has too many people around him (agents, friends, family) blowing smoke up his a**. the Islanders have given him more than enough time to get his act together health-wise and it hasn't happened. smart move to cut him loose.
it would be a fantastic comeback story to have him come back in a year or two and win the Vezina &/or The Cup. if TT can do it why can't DiPietro?
Get his act together? The parallel between Thomas and DP doesn't make any sense to me...TT was just not good enough to play in the league, DiPietro is more than good enough, he just suffers freak, debilitating injuries a lot. It's not like he's sitting there drinking beers on the bench wondering why they don't put him in...

Are you high?
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Fire0nice228 wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Are you high?
No i'm not. I just asked a question.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Mr. Colby wrote:Why didn't NYI use their amnesty buyout on him this past summer?

I can't wait until next year when he gets a chance somewhere else - I've always liked the guy
That's a lot of real cash to pay up front, no?
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

mikey287 wrote:That's pretty bad, DP...I'm glad that he's not serious about that, because he didn't seem like the type...but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

And re: Thomas. I've been over this a thousand times. Nobody wanted him, he sucked in Boston badly, and then Julien and Chara showed up and all of a sudden he's the best goalie ever...well, now second best goalie ever now that Tuukka Rask plays there too...lolstats.
And he really don't deal with all the questions asked by the media on why he didn't show up at the WH to meet the President as well, That was a story of itself.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

And then he quit on his team. He's a good guy...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

mikey287 wrote:That's pretty bad, DP...I'm glad that he's not serious about that, because he didn't seem like the type...but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

He was so bad, they were going to have Hannu Toivinen (probably spelled that wrong) start over him.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Wasn't it obvious that for the first 10 years of his pro career he wasn't good enough to play in the NHL..ya know..because he wasn't playing in the NHL?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

mikey287 wrote:And re: Thomas. I've been over this a thousand times. Nobody wanted him, he sucked in Boston badly, and then Julien and Chara showed up and all of a sudden he's the best goalie ever...well, now second best goalie ever now that Tuukka Rask plays there too...lolstats.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

There's a reason both Thomas & Rask look(ed) good in Boston, Rinne & Backup-X look good in Nashville, Anderson/Bishop/Lehner look good in Ottawa, etc... and it's because they play good defensive hockey. None of this run-and-gun pond hockey garbage the Penguins have played over the past 13-14 months.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Wait...so we shouldn't read anything into the fact that Tuukka Rask is the NHL's all-time leader in save pct.? I figured that meant he was the best goalie of all-time...no? Well now I just don't know what to think...
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Fire0nice228 wrote:Wasn't it obvious that for the first 10 years of his pro career he wasn't good enough to play in the NHL..ya know..because he wasn't playing in the NHL?
And late in his career he was able to find a place in the NHL and that's why I asked the question about Thomas and MRandall and Mikey answered it.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

mikey287 wrote:Wait...so we shouldn't read anything into the fact that Tuukka Rask is the NHL's all-time leader in save pct.? I figured that meant he was the best goalie of all-time...no? Well now I just don't know what to think...
HOF :pop:
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

tfrizz wrote:
mikey287 wrote:And re: Thomas. I've been over this a thousand times. Nobody wanted him, he sucked in Boston badly, and then Julien and Chara showed up and all of a sudden he's the best goalie ever...well, now second best goalie ever now that Tuukka Rask plays there too...lolstats.

There's a reason both Thomas & Rask look(ed) good in Boston, Rinne & Backup-X look good in Nashville, Anderson/Bishop/Lehner look good in Ottawa, etc... and it's because they play good defensive hockey. None of this run-and-gun pond hockey garbage the Penguins have played over the past 13-14 months.
And why any goalie can play for the Coyotes and look like a Vezina winner.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

tfrizz wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa. Rinne would look good in net for just about any team.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

mikey287 wrote:And then he quit on his team. He's a good guy...
And it still getting paid to do so. There is no defending TT.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Thomas is not getting paid.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

jeez people! the only reason I mentioned TT was because he had success fairly late in his career when most people had written him off. my point, apparently missed was that DP can still come back even if he's not 25 years old. TT is considered a great comeback story because he was so unwanted until he got his chance at the age of 33 and now he has 4 All-Star Games, a Jennings trophy, 2 Vezinas, a Conn Smythe and a Stanley Cup.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Apparently DiPietro was pulled after giving up 5 for Bridgeport tonight.