The Battle of Gettysburg **Dead Thread**

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: The Battle of Gettysburg **Dead Thread**

Post by columbia »

The dead are more present than the living.
Go figure.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Kind of like clue wars.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

It might legitimately be time for another break, at least for involved games anyway. It's no fun when people just go through the motions.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Definitely frustrating. If it's part of a red game plan, that's one thing (and maybe that's the case this game). But when blues just don't participate, it sucks.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Two days without power, I come back, check the Gettysburg thread and find out - I DIDN'T MISS ANYTTHING.

you people should be ashamed of yourself. I may have stick my own musket in my mouth and pulled the trigger, but at least I fired a shot! :)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

the wicked child wrote:It might legitimately be time for another break, at least for involved games anyway. It's no fun when people just go through the motions.
It just sucks for the mods b/c they put a lot of time and effort into coming up with rules and twists.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

bhaw wrote:It just sucks for the mods b/c they put a lot of time and effort into coming up with rules and twists.
Agreed.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

If we do the Rock n Roll Warz game, I have a proposal for how to solve the problem of players who don't post.

If you don't post at least once in a 48 hour period, it's akin to being found dead in your hotel room with a needle stuck in your arm.

Making that clear up front should keep slugs from signing up. :)
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

ExPatriatePen wrote:If we do the Rock n Roll Warz game, I have a proposal for how to solve the problem of players who don't post.

If you don't post at least once in a 48 hour period, it's akin to being found dead in your hotel room with a needle stuck in your arm.

Making that clear up front should keep slugs from signing up. :)
:thumb:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

That is why I pick people like Rylan at the beginning, he posted last Tuesday and has posted just once since then. :pop:

It kills the game later and helps the reds.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Despite the lack of participation, this is shaping up to be a good end game. I haven't got a clue and am really looking forward to seeing it play out.

Now, if it just would...
Benny Fitz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Benny Fitz »

newarenanow wrote:That is why I pick people like Rylan at the beginning, he posted last Tuesday and has posted just once since then. :pop:

It kills the game later and helps the reds.
I'm with you 100% on this. Not necessarily against Rylan per se, but just any of the non-talkers. It's garbage and so are any of the excuses (national weather disasters notwithstanding). I don't care for the strategy of not talking either. To me, it's just not how I'd want to win a game. That goes for being Red, Green, Blue, or any other color. I've said it before and I think it's worth repeating. This essence of this game is dialogue. If you sign up and don't talk, you only hurt the rest of us and water down the game. I echo the thoughts of the others that said they feel bad for the Mods that come up with these creative games in an attempt to shake things up keep us supplied with new and innovative challenges only to have their creativity dashed on the rocks of torpidity.

I love being blue. I've actually PM'd mods and asked to be blue in games (shameless I know). B/c that's where you don't know anything and get to try to crack the case with no help at all. To you, everyone is a liar and everyone is up to something. You can only rely on deductive reasoning, "tells", or anything else you may use to build your case. And quite honestly I'm fascinated by how often I'm wrong. Ala columbia when Krafster and MWB were Red and Kraft came out as the Angel after I did. All game I was gunning for columbia, but some how at the end, he saw through all the bs and still sided with me. I was blown away by his read. THAT's what I sign up for. And that's what Kraftster and I had in mind when we designed Clue Warz. Power to the blues.

I'm gonna get off my mini-soap box now but that's been buggin me for a while now. I can't stand quiet players who sign up and only ruin the game for the rest of us who do want to figure out whodunit.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

There is a growing faction of players who will remain quiet for the first 2-3 sometimes even more days so they aren't voted off early and then start participating out of nowhere.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

What Benny said.

It's even frustrating to be dead and watch a game stall out because people disappear.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

columbia wrote:What Benny said.

It's even frustrating to be dead and watch a game stall out because people disappear.
This. I often feel like I'm bothered as a deadie more than players left in the game. :?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Kraftster wrote:
columbia wrote:What Benny said.

This. I often feel like I'm bothered as a deadie more than players left in the game. :?
Yeah... it's like I want to just scream out... Godric is the red! Or Tifosi77 is the last remaining Green or something. Just to keep the game rolling. Or at least to get it over with so the suspense isn't killing me anymore :)

Of course it's a lot harder when you're a dead red cause you know what's what. :)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I wish that tifosi played Warz....he'd sear everyone. ;)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

thehockeyguru wrote:There is a growing faction of players who will remain quiet for the first 2-3 sometimes even more days so they aren't voted off early and then start participating out of nowhere.
I got tired of being in this boat (most times by accident), and made an effort to have a greater presence throughout the game. Doesn't always keep one in the game though. :pop:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I don't mind people using quiet as a strategy, especially at the beginning. Especially if they post a couple of times to show they are paying attention.

The issue I have is when it's about half way through, or the numbers are dwindling, and they still do not participate. So votes get hung up, the game can't move forward, and when they do come, they have no idea what the hell is happening.

You don't have to follow the game and make it your life. People have lives and can't spend 100% of the time playing. But unless there is some crazy circumstance, or something pops up that you can't control, if you are going to sign up, at least be respectful and pay some attention, and participate when you need to instead of letting the game get held up, or come in and make an uninformed vote that screws up the game and ruins it for the people that have paid attention the entire time.

I screwed over one game at the end, but it was because may baby was born 4 weeks early and came out of nowhere!
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

thehockeyguru wrote:There is a growing faction of players who will remain quiet for the first 2-3 sometimes even more days so they aren't voted off early and then start participating out of nowhere.
I can't start putting any pieces together until some reds start getting picked off. Add that to the fact that the village usually just ends up picking off the people that are talking more for subconscious reasons...people that are quiet are just out of people's consciousness.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

And PS - if doublem ever signs up again, I think he should immediately be mod killed.

The one game he played, he was the vig, and about half way through, he decided to shoot all of the revealed green players, the cleared players and ruined the game for everyone.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Well said, Benny.

Part of the problem, though, is mods design games for 20+ players and there really are only about a dozen of us out here that get fully engaged. The others sign up and either forget or never really wanted to play in the first place. I'm not sure how to handle that.

Oh, and
Benny Fitz wrote:I don't care for the strategy of not talking either. To me, it's just not how I'd want to win a game.
This happened with me in Clue. I didn't expect to be away early on, and I REALLY felt bad. I PM'd nan and obhave that I should probably just lay low and not participate. But I couldn't do it. Like you said, I wouldn't want to win that way.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

newarenanow wrote:And PS - if doublem ever signs up again, I think he should immediately be mod killed.

The one game he played, he was the vig, and about half way through, he decided to shoot all of the revealed green players, the cleared players and ruined the game for everyone.
But he played a good game in 1776 as an ISK. He shouldn't be completely thrown away because of one bad game. Granted, him in Beer Wars was a doozie of a fail...
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

redwill wrote:
newarenanow wrote:And PS - if doublem ever signs up again, I think he should immediately be mod killed.

But he played a good game in 1776 as an ISK. He shouldn't be completely thrown away because of one bad game. Granted, him in Beer Wars was a doozie of a fail...
It wasn't a fail, it was on purpose.
Benny Fitz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Benny Fitz »

red - i think you did a fantastic job in clue warz. arguably saving the day because no one was listening to PS87 or MWB just yet. And obhave did the right thing too. She PM'd us and asked what we wanted her to do about being away for that week. That's how it's done.

and i get it that people have lives and things come up, but it's not like there is a LGP warz military draft and people get selected to play against their will. you signed up to play. so play.