Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by The U »

Pitts wrote:Could score 50 on CrOZbeEs wing!
Who said Crosby is playing next year? :pop:
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

The U wrote:
Pitts wrote:Could score 50 on CrOZbeEs wing!
Who said Crosby is playing next year? :pop:
Then he is a winger for the tube.
Moe Wanchuk

Post by Moe Wanchuk »

Luckybreak wrote:I thought he was the Rangers best player in the 08 playoffs, he really took a strong leadership role and appeared gutted when they were eliminated. He was a force on the ice and didn't have anything like the talent available here now, BUT that was 3 years ago...

I would LOVE to see him in a Pens jersey for league min, though I struggle to pick him over a dependable, penalty killing Talbot/Dupuis etc
Talbot isn't a 2nd line RW, and Duper only is top 6 because we have no other choice on that side. Jags wouldn't be penalty killing. If we could learn to not be one of the most penalized teams in the league, the PK wouldn't have to bail us out every game.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

pittsports87 wrote:
Doogs wrote:The Pens employed Goddard this season, they could throw that same money at Jagr for godness sake. Even if Jagr is a bust he'll still be more useful.
Then who will protect BJ from the Islanders? :scared:

Better question, who's gonna protect the Islanders from BJ in the October meeting?
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

Doogs wrote:
pittsports87 wrote:
Doogs wrote:The Pens employed Goddard this season, they could throw that same money at Jagr for godness sake. Even if Jagr is a bust he'll still be more useful.
Then who will protect BJ from the Islanders? :scared:

Better question, who's gonna protect the Islanders from BJ in the October meeting?
And an even better question, how do you know we play the Islanders in October? :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

And an even better question, why did I bring helium instead of air?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

It would be awesome if he would retire a Pen and get his number retired IMO. Second greatest player the Pens have had. (Crosby will be up there with him in a few years).

Would be great if he would come back for that golf outing and reunite with everyone.

I honestly can't believe some people seriously got that the Pens are offering Jagr a contract to play out of that.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

shafnutz05 wrote:Trade Neal for picks, resign Kovalev, and sign Jagr at league minimum. Cup.
And build a time machine to go back 10 years.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

newarenanow wrote:It would be awesome if he would retire a Pen and get his number retired IMO. Second greatest player the Pens have had. (Crosby will be up there with him in a few years).
:thumb:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

newarenanow wrote:It would be awesome if he would retire a Pen and get his number retired IMO. Second greatest player the Pens have had. (Crosby will be up there with him in a few years).

Would be great if he would come back for that golf outing and reunite with everyone.

I honestly can't believe some people seriously got that the Pens are offering Jagr a contract to play out of that.
If they are going to continue to bring in aging wingers in the mold of Roberts, Recchi, Guerin, Kovy, etc...why wouldn't Jags be considered and welcomed?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Jagr works twice as hard on the ice for the Czech Republic. If he had put in that effort on both offense and defense with the Penguins people would not hate him as much as they do now!

Jagr could have had 7-8 Art ross trophys if he had stayed in Pittsburgh. Such a shame a talent like that wasted 5 years of his career in the KHL :thumbdown:

And Glen Sather rather gave Chris Drury 6-7 million instead of Jagr who led the playoffs in scoring when the Rangers were eliminated :pop:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Doogs wrote:If they are going to continue to bring in aging wingers in the mold of Roberts, Recchi, Guerin, Kovy, etc...why wouldn't Jags be considered and welcomed?
If Malkin and Crosby aren't hurt, I don't think Kovy would have been here. They got him on the cheap and in a desperate move for offense.

I think as the 'core' gets older, and become the leaders in the lockerroom, you won't be seeing as many aging players coming in.

Honestly, I personally would love to see Jagr come back for one more season and experience it. He was one of my favorite players.

But in a realistic evaluation of what the Pens need to replace, and what they need to move forward, as long as Crosby and Malkin are healthy and return back to their world class levels, I don't think this team needs Jagr. I'd rather bring someone else in that is younger, and could have a chance to gell with crosby and/or Malkin longer term than just on a one year contract.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

shafnutz05 wrote:And an even better question, why did I bring helium instead of air?
That wasn't helium, that was Tony Danza's breath.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Lesky wrote:Jagr works twice as hard on the ice for the Czech Republic. If he had put in that effort on both offense and defense with the Penguins people would not hate him as much as they do now!

Jagr could have had 7-8 Art ross trophys if he had stayed in Pittsburgh. Such a shame a talent like that wasted 5 years of his career in the KHL :thumbdown:

And Glen Sather rather gave Chris Drury 6-7 million instead of Jagr who led the playoffs in scoring when the Rangers were eliminated :pop:
I don't think people hated him because of his effort. I think it was more the off ice stuff that turned people sour.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:And an even better question, why did I bring helium instead of air?
That wasn't helium, that was Tony Danza's breath.
I was making a Hot Shots 2 reference.....albeit an obscure one :lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This was news to me:
The Penguins have experienced difficulty getting in touch with Jagr. They are not sure if he received invitations sent to his KHL team, Omsk Avangard, to return for the final regular-season game at Civic Arena last year or the Winter Classic alumni game in December.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

columbia wrote:This was news to me:
The Penguins have experienced difficulty getting in touch with Jagr. They are not sure if he received invitations sent to his KHL team, Omsk Avangard, to return for the final regular-season game at Civic Arena last year or the Winter Classic alumni game in December.
Nobody has the guy's cell number! Sounds like they tried real hard.

I bet Madden can call the guy up from his double-wide, but the Pens are having trouble contacting him.

Whatever.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Don't want.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

newarenanow wrote:
Doogs wrote:If they are going to continue to bring in aging wingers in the mold of Roberts, Recchi, Guerin, Kovy, etc...why wouldn't Jags be considered and welcomed?
If Malkin and Crosby aren't hurt, I don't think Kovy would have been here. They got him on the cheap and in a desperate move for offense.

I think as the 'core' gets older, and become the leaders in the lockerroom, you won't be seeing as many aging players coming in.

Honestly, I personally would love to see Jagr come back for one more season and experience it. He was one of my favorite players.

But in a realistic evaluation of what the Pens need to replace, and what they need to move forward, as long as Crosby and Malkin are healthy and return back to their world class levels, I don't think this team needs Jagr. I'd rather bring someone else in that is younger, and could have a chance to gell with crosby and/or Malkin longer term than just on a one year contract.
new, I wasn't questioning you on this. More the Pens and if Jagr would be a thought. I agree on letting the youth in the orginazation step up and allowing some of the older move on, but if Jagr wants to return to the NHL for a victory lap, then I can think of worse players to wind up on Sid's wing. I actually wanted them to stand pat at the deadline. Although I like the Neal aquisition.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

I'd take him for Dupuis salary.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

tonysoprano wrote:
columbia wrote:This was news to me:
Nobody has the guy's cell number! Sounds like they tried real hard.

I bet Madden can call the guy up from his double-wide, but the Pens are having trouble contacting him.

Whatever.
My sister mis-dialed when trying to call me back in the day (that'd be a Wednesday) and got Marty Straka.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

:thumb:

I got it! Just chimed in a little too late. I miss Lloyd Bridges.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Lesky wrote:Jagr could have had 7-8 Art ross trophys if he had stayed in Pittsburgh. Such a shame a talent like that wasted 5 years of his career in the KHL :thumbdown:
I'd like to see Jagr back, but with him it's always been about the money, and that's why he's spent the past 5 years in the KHL. I just can't see him signing for what Shero would be willing to offer him.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by jprolley »

there's what jaromir says and there's what jaromir does. he'll play for whoever offers him the most $$$$.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

When Jagr left the Pens lo those many years ago, I said at that time (on the Igloo Report) that he would come back later in his career and retire as a Penguin. For selfish reasons I'd like to see 68 back in a Pens jersey. That reason being that I never saw him play live. I'd like to fix that like I fixed never seeing Mario play live back in '03. At a reasonable salary, I say what have the Pens got to lose. No draft choices involved. Low risk and possible high reward. Hell if he culd get 25/50 it would be reward enough. Let's take the puck & skate.

BEPF