George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by jaysmiter »

I like the 4th book. I don't think it was nearly as engaging as the other 3...but, keep in mind, it's really only 3.5. The next one and the "fourth" were supposed to be one book, originally.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Glad to see fellow ASoIaF fans here on LGP.

And to those who hasn's read the series: Don't shy away because it's fantasy. It's a delicious mix of political intrigue, war, blood and gore, awesome dialogue and language (modern language, cursing and so on), brilliantly evil and entertaining characters that one really gets to know, and so on. It's raw, brutal, fun and pretty much everything. Martin's kind of challenging too, giving details that gives clues about some other minor details like a 1000 pages later. I discovered things I hadn't before the third time I re-read the books. He makes some things come together in beautifully skilled ways. Things that were there in front of your face all along without you noticing it and then blam! Some things are turned upside down just like that, but not in a bad way.

I don't know anyone who's started the books that hasn't liked them and read them quickly.

Agree the first one's great, the second part better than the first and then the third even better than the second. Fourth book is very good but might've stretched out too far from some of the main characters and happenings.

Check out http://www.georgerrmartin.com/ and click "Not A Blog" for Martin's own words about the casting of the HBO series and on other things related to ASoIaF. He's been kind of in the open about the fifth book lately, mentioning he's on page 1200 something with finished material and just need another 200 or so. It is weird though how long it's taken. There have been hints of it being nearly finished since 07 :P
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

jaysmiter wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
jaysmiter wrote: The Name of the Wind would be a good change of pace. It's a fairly quick read (I knocked it out in a week or so) and doesn't make you wanna throw the book at a wall like Ice and Fire does sometimes.
Thanks for the recommendation, I have about 80 pages left, I really like this book. I got hooked fast. looking forward to the sequels. Any other suggestions of something similiar?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

couple new previews from last night.. even though I just finished the 1st 3 books, I kinda want to go back and read again

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/13/tea ... f-thrones/

here you go

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?au ... &view=null" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HO LEE SCHNIKES
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Saw the shorter new teaser trailer last night but read there'd be a new one right away on Martin's blog.

That was pretty awesome!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

[youtube][/youtube]

10 minute behind the scenes
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Hah, Mayor Carcetti from The Wire is Littlefinger.....that's awesome.
Killiecrankie

Post by Killiecrankie »

I just bought Game of Thrones, plan on reading it over Christmas as I'm about done with the third dark tower book and I need a one book break from that series.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Killiecrankie wrote:I just bought Game of Thrones, plan on reading it over Christmas as I'm about done with the third dark tower book and I need a one book break from that series.
LOL at you thinking you can stop after the 3rd one ends...
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

[youtube][/youtube]

12 min version.

Looks absolutely amazing. I'm so happy it's becoming an HBO series and not a movie where they'd want a lower age limit for ticket sales. Also, as a fan of the series I must say the creators have said/written all the right things so far. Very, very excited.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

daenerys is lookin good
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:daenerys is lookin good
Is she 15?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Is she 15?
Please get you mind out of the gutter, I meant she was lookin good as a casting decision for Daenerys... :pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Is she 15?
Please get you mind out of the gutter, I meant she was lookin good as a casting decision for Daenerys... :pop:
lol, it was a legit question. One thing I thought would be tough for this as a film or cable series is the rather graphic sex and violence with girls and boys under 16 years old.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

that's very true, and I still forget they are that young in the books, my mind pictures them much older as I'm reading.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:that's very true, and I still forget they are that young in the books, my mind pictures them much older as I'm reading.
Me too. When I read...
Spoiler:
about Danerys and Kahl Drogo I almost stopped reading. I mean, he's a huge barbarian and she's a small and shy 15 year old girl. That's not right....
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

I'm pretty sure they aged the characters up a bit for the series.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

jaysmiter wrote:I'm pretty sure they aged the characters up a bit for the series.
And I'm fine with that. If they take it further than the first book then....
Spoiler:
....It would be hard to take people like Jon and Robb seriously if they were 16 years old.
I wonder if Joffery will be aged up. I think his character can remain his age (12?) and still be effective. Heck, it's better that he's that young.
Killiecrankie

Post by Killiecrankie »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Killiecrankie wrote:I just bought Game of Thrones, plan on reading it over Christmas as I'm about done with the third dark tower book and I need a one book break from that series.

Your right, I'll just have to read both then ha
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Killiecrankie wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

Your right, I'll just have to read both then ha
Seriously....finish Waste Lands and try to not pick up Wizard and Glass. I will tell you that once you finish Waste Lands you can do with the first 100-150 pages of Wizard and Glass and then put it down for Game of Thrones, no problem.
Killiecrankie

Post by Killiecrankie »

PensFanInDC wrote:

Seriously....finish Waste Lands and try to not pick up Wizard and Glass. I will tell you that once you finish Waste Lands you can do with the first 100-150 pages of Wizard and Glass and then put it down for Game of Thrones, no problem.
I'm just going to blow throw them, I had two non fiction books I am working on-I'll pause with one and rapidly finish the other before I start Game of Thrones.

I've already ordered book two, so hopefully it fulfills my expectations.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Age wise they look like I've pictured them. Altough that is older than the book sais, true there.

And yeah HBO Daenerys is gorgeous =)
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

ONE MONTH TO GO

So HBO released a little mini game to unlock some scenes. http://www.themaesterspath.com/#/intro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spoiler:
If you don't want to bother:
[youtube][/youtube]
I really like the actress they got to play Arya Stark. She looks the part perfect. Cannot wait for this, I'm almost done with the 3rd book for my re-read.

HBO is selling some t-shirts, but they are pretty nerdy. They need to ditch the slogans and just go with the logos.
http://store.hbo.com//?v=hbo_shows_game ... 8&pa=affcj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

looks like I gotta order HBO again, I went back and reread Name of the wind preparing for Wise Man's fear that I got yesterday. I gotta get back into Fire and Ice mode...