Closing the book on 06-07....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Senka »

Ogie wrote:Thorburn did what? three goals? Lost every fight, he had a good forcheck, but to say he was an A- and Malkin was a D is laughable.
And did he not tie up one of the other teams palyers for 5 mins? He was called a grinder for a reason. Even though he sucked, he played fearless. I would gladly give him a B or so ... i thought he was something special... I'd love to see him back sometime.
edog

Post by edog »

pfim wrote:
Whitney had knocks against him in college & couldn't play defense at BU...in fact, he got hammered his sophomore season after getting drafted by the Pens for having a big head....he also cost his team the Hockey East title with poor play that resulted in a 1-0 win for UNH that year...
Wow, someone can read Wikipedia. Nevermind he basically played on one leg the entire season because of an ankle injury.
and his excuse for getting owned by Comrie this series was....
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Closing the book on 06-07....

Post by malkinshair »

edog wrote:
malkinshair wrote: ...And there, my friend, is where you lose this arguement...and prove that it's not about 'objective observation' (which you claim it is), but all about your preconceived notions of what a player "should" be.

Speaking that everyone's expectations were that Staal would be returned to Juniors, it is improper to state he was a pleasant surprise....

Your grades are a joke. Your rationale is a joke. Your bias against Malkin and Whitney is a joke...too bad no one's laughing. :(

Whitney had knocks against him in college & couldn't play defense at BU...in fact, he got hammered his sophomore season after getting drafted by the Pens for having a big head....he also cost his team the Hockey East title with poor play that resulted in a 1-0 win for UNH that year...
Thanks, because you just went out of your way to prove my point. Seriously, Thank you. :lol:

Staal had a great season using any method of observation. His improvement, his stats, his level of play...all good...but you just mentioned everyone's expectations of Staal and how he overacheived this year. Jordan Staal didn't overacheive this year. It was just our preconceived notion of what Staal should be that makes it look this way.

You just used examples of Whitney's college career to support a point that he's not a good player now!!! You mention the preseason expectations of Malkin, and use them to denounce his season as 'below average' this year.

You, along with others, had preconceived notions of these players before they ever put on a Pens uniform.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

edog wrote:
pfim wrote:
Wow, someone can read Wikipedia. Nevermind he basically played on one leg the entire season because of an ankle injury.
Way to change the subject.
edog

Post by edog »

Senka wrote: Not very well man. Yur grades were strictly like favoritism.
The statsheet doesnt lie, and Malkin was the most clutch man we had for most of the season. if anything just for that he should be upgraded from his stupid D.

Then why was he ripped off the shootout....apparently, MT wasn't convinced he could perform in the clutch....

...and Eaton is our best D-Dman. Id rather him take out the man in front than block a slapshot... Thats the point of having a glowing yellow man in the bluepaint...Unlike Scuderi, Eaton doesnt try to play goalie 100% of the time.

Eaton didn't take the man out in front any more than Melichar & Scuderi did.....
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Senka »

edog wrote:
Senka wrote: Not very well man. Yur grades were strictly like favoritism.
The statsheet doesnt lie, and Malkin was the most clutch man we had for most of the season. if anything just for that he should be upgraded from his stupid D.

Then why was he ripped off the shootout....apparently, MT wasn't convinced he could perform in the clutch....

...and Eaton is our best D-Dman. Id rather him take out the man in front than block a slapshot... Thats the point of having a glowing yellow man in the bluepaint...Unlike Scuderi, Eaton doesnt try to play goalie 100% of the time.

Eaton didn't take the man out in front any more than Melichar & Scuderi did.....
In responce to #1...
Should he have taken Crosby off when he went like 0-11?
I know you'll say no, because Sid is god to you... But Whoa. last i checked Malkin wasnt too far behind Sid. And he only got dismissed from 2 shootouts at the end.

as for #2... I don't care if thats truth or not? Eaton is more valiable than Scudichar anyday of the week, and hes the best D-Dman we have. Who can yu replace him with?? exactly. No one in our system.

PS: the way you respond, makes this really confusing...
edog

Post by edog »

pfim wrote:
edog wrote:
pfim wrote:
Way to change the subject.
How so? He was never a defensive presence in college & he hasn't been here, even though some believe he is Norris Trophy worthy....on top of that, some believe him to have taken great leaps & bounds, yet I saw nothing to support that claim....therefore, if we excuse him for injury his sophomore season, what was his excuse for getting owned by Comrie this series?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

How so? He was never a defensive presence in college & he hasn't been here, even though some believe he is Norris Trophy worthy....on top of that, some believe him to have taken great leaps & bounds, yet I saw nothing to support that claim....therefore, if we excuse him for injury his sophomore season, what was his excuse for getting owned by Comrie this series?
How would you know he wasn't a presense in college? You get your info from wikipedia for crying out loud, which was the point.
edog

Post by edog »

pfim wrote:
How would you know he wasn't a presense in college? You get your info from wikipedia for crying out loud, which was the point.
re-read any scouting reports & you will note he wasn't a defensive defensemen....that's my point.....
gigz51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by gigz51 »

Ogie wrote:
gigz51 wrote:
edog wrote:
Ogie wrote:
Do you understand that Malkin can't speak English, this was a great year from him, the only people who are disappointed are those who thought he would come in and break 212 points this year.

Malkin had 3 years to learn English since he was drafted....

BTW, Thorburn A- is where you are going to get ripped.

I didn't give Thorburn a grade....
I think he's confusing me and you, I gave Thorburn an A-, and I'll stand by that, even though I'll be "getting ripped" for it. I can't wait to hear why.
Thorburn did what? three goals? Lost every fight, he had a good forcheck, but to say he was an A- and Malkin was a D is laughable.
A.) He isn't expected to score, especially with short playing time. That's more ridiculous than judging a defenseman soley on the numbers he puts up. They have different roles. What do you want a fourth liner to score? He was on the same pace as Ruutu, and everyone seems to be quite fond of him.
B.) Saying he lost every fight is laughable. Especially since he was taking on a lot of heavyweights. Look him up on hockeyfights.com and see for yourself.
C.) I CLEARLY specified A- given his role that was expected, which is to play physical, and cycle/forecheck.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

edog wrote:
pfim wrote:
re-read any scouting reports & you will note he wasn't a defensive defensemen....that's my point.....
So he gets an F for living up to everyone's expectations? I think we've come full circle here.

What else has Wiki told you?
edog

Post by edog »

Senka wrote: In responce to #1...
Should he have taken Crosby off when he went like 0-11?
I know you'll say no, because Sid is god to you... But Whoa. last i checked Malkin wasnt too far behind Sid. And he only got dismissed from 2 shootouts at the end.

Remember MT's words. He said he would stick with Sid regardless, since he would rather take his chances with his best player....he did no such thing for Malkin...in fact, he ripped Malkin in the press for lax play....

as for #2... I don't care if thats truth or not? Eaton is more valiable than Scudichar anyday of the week, and hes the best D-Dman we have. Who can yu replace him with?? exactly. No one in our system.

I never suggested otherwise. But by the same token, Eaton isn't Norris-worthy either. He's a good #5 defenseman at best....yet we have him at #2...

PS: the way you respond, makes this really confusing...

If you think this is bad, try reading through garbage that makes up the original post....
edog

Post by edog »

pfim wrote:
edog wrote:
pfim wrote:
So he gets an F for living up to everyone's expectations? I think we've come full circle here.

What else has Wiki told you?
He didn't live up to any expectations. He is supposed to be this offensive guru, but had only 14 goals (9 of which were on the PP---or should I say, 9 of which were his one-dimensional back door pass from Sid). That leaves only 5 even strength goals...that's hardly going to make anyone forget Paul Coffey around here....in fact, that only puts him one ahead of Joel Kwiatkowski....
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

During the regular season, however, Malkin led the team with 6 game winning goals...meaning he played well when in the clutch, and scored goals that mattered.

how many of those were at the beginning of the year versus towards the end? I'll bet you the numbers will be surprising & telling....
He had 3 in 2006, and 3 in 2007. Is that what you were expecting?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

He didn't live up to any expectations. He is supposed to be this offensive guru, but had only 14 goals (9 of which were on the PP---or should I say, 9 of which were his one-dimensional back door pass from Sid).
This would be a great point if goals were the only measure of offensive production.
veach55

Post by veach55 »

i'm gonna get fired cause i'm laughing so hard right now. 4 teams had multiple players in the top 20 in scoring (G + A). We were one of them. Malkin is 18th in the league at age 19. Yeah D+. HAHAHA! Trade him to Philly for Umberger! HAHA!
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Senka »

Rocco wrote:

During the regular season, however, Malkin led the team with 6 game winning goals...meaning he played well when in the clutch, and scored goals that mattered.

how many of those were at the beginning of the year versus towards the end? I'll bet you the numbers will be surprising & telling....
Gottttt Himmmm
edog

Post by edog »

veach55 wrote:i'm gonna get fired cause i'm laughing so hard right now. 4 teams had multiple players in the top 20 in scoring (G + A). We were one of them. Malkin is 18th in the league at age 19. Yeah D+. HAHAHA! Trade him to Philly for Umberger! HAHA!
First off, Malkin is 20, not 19....

Second, trade him to Calgary for Phaneuff....
veach55

Post by veach55 »

we should've dumped jagr after his rookie season too. he only had 57 pts in the regular season and three goals in 24 playoff games. what a bum. no wonder he never panned out.
edog

Post by edog »

Rocco wrote:

So, he's a pure goal scorer & he only manages 6 game winners....that's living up to expectations....
edog

Post by edog »

veach55 wrote:we should've dumped jagr after his rookie season too. he only had 57 pts in the regular season and three goals in 24 playoff games. what a bum. no wonder he never panned out.
at least he was over here at 18 & didn't cherry pick so he could win the Calder....
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:

So, he's a pure goal scorer & he only manages 6 game winners....that's living up to expectations....
Wow, way to ignore your point going up in smoke right in front of your face. You're quite good at changing the subject. I guess the sound of a grinding ax makes it difficult for you to concentrate.
veach55

Post by veach55 »

edog, you are HI-larious! You should call up Daryl Sutter and make that Pfaneuf trade happen. Cheers bud.
veach55

Post by veach55 »

LOLercoaster
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

edog wrote:
veach55 wrote:we should've dumped jagr after his rookie season too. he only had 57 pts in the regular season and three goals in 24 playoff games. what a bum. no wonder he never panned out.
at least he was over here at 18 & didn't cherry pick so he could win the Calder....
ROFL...Jagr is the king of cherry picking. :lol: