Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by dodint »

tifosi77 wrote:Things like that tend to be what Alton Brown calls 'uni-taskers'. The only uni-tasker you should have in your kitchen is a fire extinguisher.

Unless you also like to make custards and melt chocolate, that is.
But then how else would you do it? The only other thing I've seen is an insert that goes over a regular pot. Won't I have to buy something to poach eggs with to keep them together whether it be a complete item like that, an insert, or even poaching cups? I could just make over-easy eggs and call it a day but that's not the same.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I could be way off base here, but what's wrong with a pot of simmering water for poaching eggs?
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Hmm...never heard of Kewpie Mayo.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

count2infinity wrote:I could be way off base here, but what's wrong with a pot of simmering water for poaching eggs?
I'm way off base, not you. Didn't know this was possible. I assumed the white would just feather into a gross egg broth. Interesting. I like to cook but am surely not a chef, I learn as I go.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

tifosi77 wrote:Things like that tend to be what Alton Brown calls 'uni-taskers'. The only uni-tasker you should have in your kitchen is a fire extinguisher.

I have a giant ice cream maker as a permanent fixture in my tiny kitchen. It's worth it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Did the frozen steak thing again. This time with a nice thick tenderloin. It was beautiful. I skipped the 2nd sear. I think that was a mistake. That extra textural bump goes a long way.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Hmm...never heard of Kewpie Mayo.
Seek it out, available in Japanese markets or perhaps the Asian food section of a really good grocer. It's like a super savory version of mayo.

Honestly, I consider it to be one of the 3 or 4 greatest condiments in the world.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I could be way off base here, but what's wrong with a pot of simmering water for poaching eggs?
I'm way off base, not you. Didn't know this was possible. I assumed the white would just feather into a gross egg broth. Interesting. I like to cook but am surely not a chef, I learn as I go.
My bad, I thought you wanted the poaching pot so the eggs would come out a certain size/shape for presentation.

Yeah, that's the traditional way to poach an egg. The vinegar keeps the white from threadding off into nothing. Now that I'm Mr Sous Vide, I just slow poach whole eggs in the shell. You can do it on the stove top, but you'll need to rig up a way to keep the eggs off the bottom of the pan. Or you could do the famous Arzak egg, which is a very simple technique.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Mayo is Satan's seed.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Marzettis all day for potato salad and Cole slaw.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

shmenguin wrote:

I have a giant ice cream maker as a permanent fixture in my tiny kitchen. It's worth it.
I do, too. It's called my stand mixer + dry ice. 8-)
shmenguin wrote:Did the frozen steak thing again. This time with a nice thick tenderloin. It was beautiful. I skipped the 2nd sear. I think that was a mistake. That extra textural bump goes a long way.
Yes, if you want to skip a sear, skip the initial one. But it's really best if you do both.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

tifosi77 wrote:
dodint wrote:
My bad, I thought you wanted the poaching pot so the eggs would come out a certain size/shape for presentation.

Yeah, that's the traditional way to poach an egg. The vinegar keeps the white from threadding off into nothing. Now that I'm Mr Sous Vide, I just slow poach whole eggs in the shell. You can do it on the stove top, but you'll need to rig up a way to keep the eggs off the bottom of the pan. Or you could do the famous Arzak egg, which is a very simple technique.
Cool.

I ended up buying a similar pan to the one I posted. Worst case it can also be used as a shallow 8" pan for other things when the insert isn't being used for poaching eggs. I did want a particular shape, but didn't know there was a way to poach an egg using just a shallow pot. I'll try it soon just to see if I have the knack for it. Sorry to cloud up your cool thread with my short order level of competence. ;)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Made Chicken Divan tonight...really liked it, but definitely some tweaks I want to make for next time. The broccoli in particular came out great.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

tifosi77 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I do, too. It's called my stand mixer + dry ice. 8-)
shmenguin wrote:Did the frozen steak thing again. This time with a nice thick tenderloin. It was beautiful. I skipped the 2nd sear. I think that was a mistake. That extra textural bump goes a long way.
Yes, if you want to skip a sear, skip the initial one. But it's really best if you do both.
No liquid nitrogen? Not impress.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:Sorry to cloud up your cool thread with my short order level of competence. ;)
As long as you're cooking, it's all good.

Post pics.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

made BBQ pork meatball hoagies from the meatball shop cookbook recipe. so good, can't wait to make more stuff from this. can't remember who mentioned it in here, but thanks for the heads up. great book!
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I made ribs yesterday, made 3 racks and my wife decided to not eat them. Sooo I have a rack left over.. no seasoning on them at all. Pork carnitas?
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

I wouldn't eat them either. Who in the hell makes ribs without seasoning? WTF mac? :lol: :lol: ;)
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

You ate 2 full rack of ribs in a sitting? Not sure if disgusted or impressed...
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

lol... no. I ate like 3/4 of a rack yesterday, then took 3/4 of a rack today for lunch, and she took the other 1/2 for her lunch.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

ville5 wrote:I wouldn't eat them either. Who in the hell makes ribs without seasoning? WTF mac? :lol: :lol: ;)
Haha. My wife doesn't like BBQ sauce. I made mine with sauce.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Ribs reminds me I have a question for those with electric smokers. If you do a brisket in the electric smokers can you get burnt ends? Thinking of buying one but if I can't get some burnt ends up in here, then I have to reconsider.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

ville5 wrote:Ribs reminds me I have a question for those with electric smokers. If you do a brisket in the electric smokers can you get burnt ends? Thinking of buying one but if I can't get some burnt ends up in here, then I have to reconsider.
it's basically just an oven, so i wouldn't think so
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I see no point in an electric smoker, but that's just me.

IIRC Shyster has a smoker/roaster oven that he highly recommends.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I have news for you: You’re gonna die. Stop treating food as if it’s medicine and you might just be able to enjoy life before the inevitable catastrophe that awaits us all.
:thumb:

http://ruhlman.com/2015/02/is-the-gover ... this-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;