GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

Budweiser American Ale ain't exactly all that bad...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Is there anywhere in the Pittsburgh area that sells life and limb?
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

I've been to numerous places looking for this years life and limb and have been unable to find it. It was released three weeks ago so I'm thinking pittsburgh may not get any.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

that is disheartening
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

just tried the "Troubadour Obscura" stout. a fantastic belgian beer.

plus i just got some of the hard-to-find Founders - Old Curmudgeon.

good week for beer in the shmenguin household.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

UVM2003 wrote:I've been to numerous places looking for this years life and limb and have been unable to find it. It was released three weeks ago so I'm thinking pittsburgh may not get any.
It may be sold out already. Case in point. My brother really wanted a case of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. It’s always a limited release, and it hadn’t been out in ages because Dogfish Head actually had to dump a batch that didn’t work out. He politely but persistently kept calling our favorite distributor (Save on Beer on McKnight Road) to see when they might be getting any in. Due to the high demand, SoB ended up getting exactly one case. And because he’d been really nice about it (and promised to pay SoB whatever they would charge for it), they held it for my brother. It never hit the shelf.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Shyster wrote:
UVM2003 wrote:I've been to numerous places looking for this years life and limb and have been unable to find it. It was released three weeks ago so I'm thinking pittsburgh may not get any.
It may be sold out already. Case in point. My brother really wanted a case of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. It’s always a limited release, and it hadn’t been out in ages because Dogfish Head actually had to dump a batch that didn’t work out. He politely but persistently kept calling our favorite distributor (Save on Beer on McKnight Road) to see when they might be getting any in. Due to the high demand, SoB ended up getting exactly one case. And because he’d been really nice about it (and promised to pay SoB whatever they would charge for it), they held it for my brother. It never hit the shelf.
Perhaps - I do know of the popularity of a beer like 120. I do a similar task, usually with bottle shops or with the folks that actually bring in the beer (like Vecinie). I pester the hell out of them regarding rare, exciting beers (like Dogfish/Sierra Life and Limb, or Stone 15) just so I can grab a bottle.

But, you could be right. Life and limb is of such little quantity that it may have come in and sold out in a day. Places like Fatheads are almost guaranteed to a get a few of the 28 oz bottles and those would move fast at a place like that.

I have a four year old bottle of 120 - waiting for the right time to open that. Interestingly, the first year the Pens played the Wings in the finals I went to Fatheads after one of the games for 120 on draft. They poured it in 8 oz glasses and I still had to share it.

On another note - sipping a slightly aged Sierra 30th Anniversary Black Barleywine. Only had it once fresh back in January. Amazing stuff.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

count2infinity wrote:yes UVM, i was comparing 60 minute vs sierra pale ale. as far as other stuff that dogfishhead does, it's hit or miss for me.
there are a lot of dogfishhead's that i really enjoy one of. they're fun to sample at their tavern or brewery, but a 4-pack is always enough. i forget which one i generally enjoy - raison or midas touch. the 90 minute is always tempting. i'm looking forward to getting my annual punkin ale soon.

sierra pale ale is ok, but i usually find a better option. i feel like 60 minute has such a distinct taste that it's hard to compare to any other beer.

continuing general dogfishhead talk, their cask 75 that you can occasionally get has a great flavor but then makes me want to puke. it's too smooth.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

pens2005 wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned but Boddington's Pub Ale is amazing tasting from that bright yellow can.
truly. it's been too long since i've bought some.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

picked up a 30 rack of Duquesne Pilsner, anyone have yet? It was either that or OX 45 Talls, but that's fictional, so I couldn't find any.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

for altoona folk, i'm sure if you're in this thread you've noticed that champs has a very good selection on tap. i tried multiple new beers the other day. and i was surprised to find 90 minute at the hollidaysburg 6pack
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

eddysnake wrote:picked up a 30 rack of Duquesne Pilsner, anyone have yet? It was either that or OX 45 Talls, but that's fictional, so I couldn't find any.
I bought a sixer at Giant Eagle a while back. I wouldn’t say it’s great beer, but it’s not a bad example of the mainstream American lager genre (what I call “generic American beer”). I’d take it over a Budmillercoors.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

UVM2003 wrote:On another note - sipping a slightly aged Sierra 30th Anniversary Black Barleywine. Only had it once fresh back in January. Amazing stuff.
Is that the one they did in conjunction with Anchor Brewing and Fritz Maytag? I think I have a bottle of that on my wine rack (which contains no wine, only beer).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

If I am going to drink something from BMC, I still like to go with Killian's. High carbonation, more of a malty flavor, I really don't mind it.
Pavement
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pavement »

dunno if you guys get can buy it but I enjoy a pint of Greene King IPA from time time. saw bottles of it at my local supermarket so picked up a few. it was only after a few that I realised the bottles were 7.5% - the draft stuff is only 4.6% or something. Drink those those bad boys with a couple of whiskys and you think it's your birthday!
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Shyster wrote:
UVM2003 wrote:On another note - sipping a slightly aged Sierra 30th Anniversary Black Barleywine. Only had it once fresh back in January. Amazing stuff.
Is that the one they did in conjunction with Anchor Brewing and Fritz Maytag? I think I have a bottle of that on my wine rack (which contains no wine, only beer).
That's the one. Sierra did four beers for the 30th anniversary, a grand cru, a black barleywine, a stout, and a bock. All were excellent, but the barleywine and the grand cru really stood out.

As someone that also cellars beer, how do you store your bottles in your wine rack? I ask because I know there exists a big debate between laying flat versus standing up. I don't feel strongly about one method versus the other, save for belgians which are bottle conditioned and probably should be stored vertically because of the sediment. My GF has a wine rack that I could take over with all of my beer. :D
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Pavement wrote:dunno if you guys get can buy it but I enjoy a pint of Greene King IPA from time time. saw bottles of it at my local supermarket so picked up a few. it was only after a few that I realised the bottles were 7.5% - the draft stuff is only 4.6% or something. Drink those those bad boys with a couple of whiskys and you think it's your birthday!
I haven't seen that in Pittsburgh, but I do like sampling IPAs with English hops which give it much more of an earthier taste rather than the typical piney/citrus American IPA.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

troegs flying mouflan, had this a few weeks back, it was awesome, something like 9.3% alc. too :lol:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

UVM2003 wrote:As someone that also cellars beer, how do you store your bottles in your wine rack? I ask because I know there exists a big debate between laying flat versus standing up. I don't feel strongly about one method versus the other, save for belgians which are bottle conditioned and probably should be stored vertically because of the sediment. My GF has a wine rack that I could take over with all of my beer. :D
I must admit that I never thought of it much, but I store them sideways. Some of them are corked, and I’ve always been taught that sideways storage is needed to keep the cork from drying out and becoming unsealed. Also, I drink the sediment in my Belgian beers anyway.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

For those in PGH interested in Life and Limb, I found a few bottles at Beer Nutz in Fox Chapel - so it should be available around the city now.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

Leviathan Uber-Bock takes the Geman Bock tradition to its limits; a deep copper color, mighty backbone, heroic malty character. Uber-delicious.
Pavement
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pavement »

ILikeTurtles wrote:Image
Leviathan Uber-Bock takes the Geman Bock tradition to its limits; a deep copper color, mighty backbone, heroic malty character. Uber-delicious.
Anything with Uber in the name has to be good :D
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

IMO, the best pumpkin beer available (am I the only one who doesn't like DFH's "Punkin'"?)

I picked up a 6-er yesterday.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Pumking is the only pumpkin beer for me anymore.
topshelf wrote: am I the only one who doesn't like DFH's "Punkin'"?
No.
Last edited by Kraftster on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

BTW... I can't believe I completely missed this thread. I guess I spend too much time in the "Pens Related" forum. I just left a job as an account manager for the Florida Distributing Company (a huge distributor out of Orlando) to teach, but I love talking beer.

I just opened my DFH Namaste last week. Awesome beer.