Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by tifosi77 »

PensFanInDC wrote:People who root for international sports based on ancestry and not nationality.
I root for teams based on food. :D
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote:People who root for international sports based on ancestry and not nationality.
I root for both
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So I'm supposed to root for US, England, Scotland and Germany?
That's not very exciting.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I do this. For proof, look who created the Slovak Olympic team thread. My first LGP thread.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

blackjack68 wrote:All caps posts.

:pop:
Brooks Orpik wrote:I can't see this post. My pile of Caps money is blocking my monitor
Matt Niskanen wrote:Me too.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I laughed
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Jim wrote:When weather people say that it is going to rain, storm even, and not a drop falls.
On the other hand, the cheesy LULZ blaming the weather man for the cold/rain/snow/heat that his fellow anchors do.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

To counter, when people irrationally blame the weather man for a forecast that doesn't pan out. Meteorologists rely on interpreting models....if the models go way out to lunch, it is what it is.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i think the thing with meterologists is that a robot could and does their job, they just flap their gums about it
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

If you're talking about the weather person on TV news, most of them are not meteorologists.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I do hate the weather hype-mongering that media outlets do. For example, this NBC News tweet from yesterday, showing a picture of a major hurricane in a tweet about a relatively middling tropical storm that could make landfall in NC on Friday:

Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

the parking situation at rochester inn on rochester road in the north hills. well maybe just rochester inn in general. the parking lot is a death trap. it is too small in terms of volume and the lanes arent wide enough for 2 cars. people drive around like terrorists and then when they cant find a spot, they either try to squeeze along a very narrow gap between the rochester road and the parked cars. if youre lucky enough, there will be a car parked in this narrow lane and said motorist will then pull out on to rochester road willy nilly as they must get inside to see RHUBARB or the all you can eat ribs paying no mind to the motorists on the road. furthermore, when people are leaving the bar, they just pull out. at least 2x a month i have to slam on my brakes as some chuckle head will just drive right out on to rochester road and not look to see what traffic is doing. also, when people walk to and fro the bar, they are usually dressed in all black and an under armour ninja mask and do so under the cover of the darkest night and cross right as you are approaching the bar. its a miracle that someone doesnt die there every weekend.

oh and their new neon sign is an abomination
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i think the thing with meterologists is that a robot could and does their job, they just flap their gums about it
Actually no they couldn't. You have to be really sharp to get a degree in meteorology. I've know 2 people with such degrees they also had degrees in physics. What you have to study to get a degree without even specializing in any one branch is pretty in depth. The meteorologist doing your forecast are the smartest person in the news room
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

stopper40 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:i think the thing with meterologists is that a robot could and does their job, they just flap their gums about it
Actually no they couldn't. You have to be really sharp to get a degree in meteorology. I've know 2 people with such degrees they also had degrees in physics. What you have to study to get a degree without even specializing in any one branch is pretty in depth. The meteorologist doing your forecast are the smartest person in the news room
Agree 100%. People don't realize the level of knowledge meteorologists have to have, especially in terms of physics, etc. And you can't just rely on models alone either. During the winter, one model might indicate the possibility of 30" of snow, while the other has the storm missing entirely. And this is like 48 hours out. There are a lot of fine details and intricacies that go into forecasting.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:the parking situation at rochester inn on rochester road in the north hills. well maybe just rochester inn in general. the parking lot is a death trap. it is too small in terms of volume and the lanes arent wide enough for 2 cars. people drive around like terrorists and then when they cant find a spot, they either try to squeeze along a very narrow gap between the rochester road and the parked cars. if youre lucky enough, there will be a car parked in this narrow lane and said motorist will then pull out on to rochester road willy nilly as they must get inside to see RHUBARB or the all you can eat ribs paying no mind to the motorists on the road. furthermore, when people are leaving the bar, they just pull out. at least 2x a month i have to slam on my brakes as some chuckle head will just drive right out on to rochester road and not look to see what traffic is doing. also, when people walk to and fro the bar, they are usually dressed in all black and an under armour ninja mask and do so under the cover of the darkest night and cross right as you are approaching the bar. its a miracle that someone doesnt die there every weekend.

their kereoke is fun though.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
Agree 100%. People don't realize the level of knowledge meteorologists have to have, especially in terms of physics, etc. And you can't just rely on models alone either. During the winter, one model might indicate the possibility of 30" of snow, while the other has the storm missing entirely. And this is like 48 hours out. There are a lot of fine details and intricacies that go into forecasting.
Exactly, the two I worked with were pretty sharp. And from what they told me getting a degree in physics along with a meteorology degree isn't uncommon
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

stopper40 wrote: The meteorologist doing your forecast are the smartest person in the news room
NOT WHEN FEDKO IS THERE!
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

At least with the local TV stations, weather = big ratings. So their weather stuff is all about marketing, hype, and branding (StormTeam 11, Severe Weather Center, etc) Weather will lead their forecasts and commercials throughout the day even if it will be clear and sunny for the next three days.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:the parking situation at rochester inn on rochester road in the north hills. well maybe just rochester inn in general. the parking lot is a death trap. it is too small in terms of volume and the lanes arent wide enough for 2 cars. people drive around like terrorists and then when they cant find a spot, they either try to squeeze along a very narrow gap between the rochester road and the parked cars. if youre lucky enough, there will be a car parked in this narrow lane and said motorist will then pull out on to rochester road willy nilly as they must get inside to see RHUBARB or the all you can eat ribs paying no mind to the motorists on the road. furthermore, when people are leaving the bar, they just pull out. at least 2x a month i have to slam on my brakes as some chuckle head will just drive right out on to rochester road and not look to see what traffic is doing. also, when people walk to and fro the bar, they are usually dressed in all black and an under armour ninja mask and do so under the cover of the darkest night and cross right as you are approaching the bar. its a miracle that someone doesnt die there every weekend.

Lets be clear here, Rochester Inn is beat as a whole, let alone the parking lot. Overrated wings.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

ive never been there and plan to never go there as i curse it every single night
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

People who markup documents using actual text formatting instead of the handy dandy Track Changes feature that has been a part of Word since ever can collectively die of ....
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

The fact that the barcode on the GetGo/Giant Eagle advantage card app, which I installed solely so I wouldn't have to carry around the stupid card, won't scan on the cash registers or gas pumps. That means I can't handle my checkout by myself and I have to have the cashier input the card number manually. Great work, Giant Eagle. I hate that place so much.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

Hockeynut! wrote:The fact that the barcode on the GetGo/Giant Eagle advantage card app, which I installed solely so I wouldn't have to carry around the stupid card, won't scan on the cash registers or gas pumps. That means I can't handle my checkout by myself and I have to have the cashier input the card number manually. Great work, Giant Eagle. I hate that place so much.
I wonder why Sheetz doesn't have barcode readers on their pumps? Their Sheetz card has a magnetic strip and a barcode. When you use the main card in the store they just scan the barcode. There have been times where I do not have the main card and only the keychain one and curse because you can't use your keychain card at the pump. Yeah, I know I can just go inside and pay but pfffft, ain't nobody got time for that.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

PghSkins wrote:
stopper40 wrote: The meteorologist doing your forecast are the smartest person in the news room
NOT WHEN FEDKO IS THERE!
Who knew that Fedko posted here 8-)
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

stopper40 wrote:

I've said this for a long time, but for a totally different reason. In college 6 of us lived in a duplex.

1 Engineer - I screw up, the bus crashes, people die
2 Nurses - They screw up, a patient dies
1 Accountant - He screws up they get audited
1 Teacher - She screws up and the kids are jacked for life
1 Meteorologist - She screws up, and everybody expects it.

The Meteorologist was obviously the smartest of us.
(Actually she's very intelligent, but we all gave her hard time because of the weather girl stereotype)