Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Post by Avyran »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Avyran wrote:Hoping that my other two choices for this pick fall through to me in the next two rounds. Was a little worried about Marleau's age, but then I saw that he has played all 82 games in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Also scored 30 or more goals those same 4 seasons. Forgot how important he was to San Jose's penalty-killing and power-play as well.

Only knock on him is the fact that many claim he chokes in the playoffs, and I'm gonna work through that.
Marleau was the guy I was mentioning standing out to me. If this weren't listed as a redraft league, maybe not, but I think he and Thornton should ahve gone a lot earlier. I've also never bought the playoff choking thing. He's streaky in general, which is why some years he isn't there in the playoffs. But looking at him from a production standpoint, you're looking at basically the same production rate in the playoffs as you see in the regular season. Last I checked, I'm pretty sure the point rate drops slightly with the goal rate going up slightly. He was 3+4 against the Kings this year in the playoffs. Of course if you look at the distribution of those points throughout the series, maybe that feeds into the choking narrative. Thats still a point a game against the Kings though.
I definitely agree; I would actually put Thornton as a top 10 pure center in the league. However, the problem is that everyone remembers their playoffs failures, and no one has better flameouts in the playoffs than the Sharks too. It really skews how good they can be; they have possibly the most talented top 9 on paper, with Couture, Pavelski, Thornton, Marleau, and Burns (though Chicago & Colorado'd definitely want a word in that debate, and I'd say they're more talented in actuality).

Marleau actually wasn't my choice for that pick leading up to it. However, after looking over all of the different stats, I felt that Marleau was a can't-pass pick, like how Chara was in my 4th pick. I think that having a more physical team around him (as I am currently trying to build, in case people couldn't tell, haha) would open up more space for Marleau & kick him back up into that 40-goal zone, although his age might keep him from attaining that.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

I appreciate the drunk pick
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Yeah thanks, hope you dont regret it in the morning.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Im pretty sure st louis pairing with stamkos isnt something that hes going to regret.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

That depends on whether team loyalty and the duty of captaincy are factors in the voting.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Ugh, I was gonna take Sane Loueeee.

Unfortunately, I'm drunk too.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Like the Jeff Carter pick. Player is tracking up big time.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

mikey287 wrote:Like the Jeff Carter pick. Player is tracking up big time.
Thanks. He's like wine, getting better with age. I completely forgot about him. I needed another C, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Love the Jeff Carter pick this late. IMO he's found the maturity he's needed to be a dominant goal scorer and just plain dominant at times. He's really blossomed the last 2-3 years... I don't know quite how to put it because him a a center piece I don't think is dominant, but as a compliment has stretches of absolute dominance.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Damn you Staggy...damn you.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Pavel Bure wrote:Love the Jeff Carter pick this late. IMO he's found the maturity he's needed to be a dominant goal scorer and just plain dominant at times. He's really blossomed the last 2-3 years... I don't know quite how to put it because him a a center piece I don't think is dominant, but as a compliment has stretches of absolute dominance.
If I could only draft his line mates and recreate that's 70's line. 8-)
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Had to go with who I thought was the top player on the board. Kronwall brings phiscality, leadership and experience and leads my second pairing.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Kovy27 wrote:Damn you Staggy...damn you.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Was hoping kronwall would fill out my top 4. Oh well. Needed to pick a winger this round anyways.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

SolidSnake wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Like the Jeff Carter pick. Player is tracking up big time.
He's like whine
Fxt
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

oh ****, I pciked MSL?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Hahaha. No big deal
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I thought about MSL at my next pick. The age thing is a bit of a problem, but the dude is a great hockey player. I would imagine next year he'll have a bit of a drop off from his past production, but we'll see.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Was waiting to see when Koivu would be chosen. Like Thornton, I was really surprised to see how far he had slipped down the draft. So many good centers in the league at the moment. Carter & Kronwall are also two quality picks, especially with how good Carter has become offensively for the Kings. My only knock toward Carter is he's injury-prone; Kronwall, meanwhile, can take stupid penalties. But both're very, very good depth.

Have had my eye on Kesler for a while. He's played on the wing multiple times now, first with the Sedins & more recently under Tortorella. Former Selke winner, lots of intangibles, but has also shown that he can score when asked - scored 40 a few years ago & an average of 25 the past seven years (two years ago taken out; he only played 17 games that year). Also injury-prone like Carter, I think, but can do a whole lot. Gives me a 2nd front-man presence for power plays, and another great shutdown forward. Averaged over 110 hits & about 70 blocked shots per year (again, 2012-13 taken out). Lots of big-game experience, both in the playoffs & internationally. I guessed that he would probably slip down pretty far in the draft due to the utter wealth of centers, and thankfully, I was right. The plan (for now) is to play him on the wing with Bergeron, but I'll look at it again when I'm done drafting.
Last edited by Avyran on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

more centers!
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

i blame crankshaft for that pick
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i blame crankshaft for that pick
you can if you want. I was just as mad when I saw him post that as I was planning on taking him here and there were still 11 picks until I was up.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Kovalchuk is the guy I had in mind earlier. I understand why people shied away from him, but whatever. I'd just move my imaginary team to his imaginary hometown. Based on on-ice ability alone he's surely a 3rd round pick at worst, no?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

count2infinity wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:i blame crankshaft for that pick
you can if you want. I was just as mad when I saw him post that as I was planning on taking him here and there were still 11 picks until I was up.
i call bs. if you think no one else was thinking about it, you let it slide. but whats done is done. nice ipck
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Gaucho wrote:Kovalchuk is the guy I had in mind earlier. I understand why people shied away from him, but whatever. I'd just move my imaginary team to his imaginary hometown. Based on on-ice ability alone he's surely a 3rd round pick at worst, no?
Going forward, it's unclear. Last year he was not particularly strong. Has a bad back and almost certainly wasn't one of the five best forwards in the KHL last season...a league, which based on his NHL dominance, should be a cakewalk for him...

On pure talent, you can make the claim he's a top-20 player in the world. But, that introduces a lot of interesting characters to the mix...in a situation where Alexander Ovechkin fell out of the 10, it's hard to fathom that Kovalchuk could be viewed too highly...

I'm a big Kovalchuk fan...but this isn't theft, nor is it a reach really...it's an NHL proven track record who is doing well - not great - in a second-tier league...it's really up to interpretation...

Crankshaft, as it were, had nothing to do with that selection, I know that much.