GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Troy Loney »

Dr. J wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Sierra and Dogfish head are interchangeable to me. I like that you can get a Sierra Pale ale or Dogfishead Head 60 minute at most places these days. Which is great when your at some dive with no artisan beers, but i'll always opt for something different when I got to a bar with a nice selection on tap.
Going to have to disagree with you there Troy, I am a much bigger fan of Dogfish than Sierra. Sierra never has done it for me.

By the way, going to East End today if you are interested. Beer selection at East End is great right now. Also are selling Bigger hop by the swingtop.

Heading up to Erie this weekend so no can do. But will be around next weekend if you want to hit up either east end or church brew works.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

:pop:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Dr. J wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Sierra and Dogfish head are interchangeable to me. I like that you can get a Sierra Pale ale or Dogfishead Head 60 minute at most places these days. Which is great when your at some dive with no artisan beers, but i'll always opt for something different when I got to a bar with a nice selection on tap.
Going to have to disagree with you there Troy, I am a much bigger fan of Dogfish than Sierra. Sierra never has done it for me.

By the way, going to East End today if you are interested. Beer selection at East End is great right now. Also are selling Bigger hop by the swingtop.
Yeah, Sierra has some good stuff, and their Pale Ale is definitely a great "standard" beer, but I find I prefer more of Dogfish Head's other offerings to Sierra's.

I can see where the similarties like between the Pale Ale and 60 minute are drawn though.
Last edited by meecrofilm on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

I like pretty much all beer and as a homebrewer I like what dogfish aspires to be. Their 60 minute is a great IPA and I do like that it's available in a lot of places that lack quality beer. Where I think dogfish goes astray is with all of the boutique stuff they brew, ie Chateau jiahu, fort, red and white, etc. Many times it just seems like a mess. That said, Palo Santo Marron is incredible, probably a top 10 beer for me.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Gonna try Ommegang Aphrodite at Mad Mex tonight.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Kraftster wrote:Gonna try Ommegang Aphrodite at Mad Mex tonight.
Is that a lambic?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

UVM2003 wrote:
Is that a lambic?
Nah, just a fruit beer.

http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat= ... 4&spclty=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Kraftster wrote:
UVM2003 wrote:
Is that a lambic?
Leave it to ommegang to make a fruit beer coming in at 9% ABV. May have to try it.

Nah, just a fruit beer.

http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat= ... 4&spclty=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I know, I was really surprised to see 9% ABV. I will report back on how I like it.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Dr. J wrote:

I have the opposite reaction. Sierra IPA is one of my favorite "standard" beers. Also really like the Sierra Porter. I like some of the Dogfish stuff, but nothing that I really love.

If anyone ever makes it to Vermont, they have a great microbrew selection. Magic Hat hit it big, which is kind of too bad because they really have gone off their microbrew roots and the quality has suffered.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I'm in Wiesbaden, Germany. Just had some Original Munich Dark Beer, which was awesome.
Tasted like New Castle but with not as strong of a bite, but a higher alcohol content.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I'm in Wiesbaden, Germany. Just had some Original Munich Dark Beer, which was awesome.
Tasted like New Castle but with not as strong of a bite, but a higher alcohol content.
Mmmmm, Paulaner does a good non-wheat dark that's only available over there.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Yeah the place I ate at tonight had 3 different types of Paulaner on their menu. They were all bottles though. I am here over the weekend so I am hoping I'll come across some on tap.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

MWB wrote:
I have the opposite reaction. Sierra IPA is one of my favorite "standard" beers. Also really like the Sierra Porter. I like some of the Dogfish stuff, but nothing that I really love.

If anyone ever makes it to Vermont, they have a great microbrew selection. Magic Hat hit it big, which is kind of too bad because they really have gone off their microbrew roots and the quality has suffered.
:thumb: Magic hat blows. It was definitely a higher quality brew 10 years ago. I still will drink it on occasion for nostalgia reasons but I don't seek it out, and it was huge when I lived in Burlington.

There's a place by Stowe that we used to get growlers at after skiing - Shed mountain ale. It's a strong brown ale in the English variety, very good stuff. Wish I got up to VT more often as I always loved that beer.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Yeah the place I ate at tonight had 3 different types of Paulaner on their menu. They were all bottles though. I am here over the weekend so I am hoping I'll come across some on tap.
Cool - there are so many good biers over there that you almost can't go wrong. I'd recommend off tap choice over bottle, but the bottled Paulaner dark was good too. Paulaner stopped importing their dark hefeweizen back in 2002, so we've gotten by with Franziskaner and Hacker-Pschorr, all Munich brews.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

:guzzle:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Last new German I tried was Köstritzer schwarzbier. Liked it a lot.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

UVM2003 wrote:
MWB wrote:

:thumb: Magic hat blows. It was definitely a higher quality brew 10 years ago. I still will drink it on occasion for nostalgia reasons but I don't seek it out, and it was huge when I lived in Burlington.

There's a place by Stowe that we used to get growlers at after skiing - Shed mountain ale. It's a strong brown ale in the English variety, very good stuff. Wish I got up to VT more often as I always loved that beer.
Big thumbs up to Shed. Awesome beer. McNeals is another good one. Of the "bigger" ones, Long Trail is my favorite. Still have a bomber of LT coffee stout my parents brought last visit that I haven't tried yet. They succeeded where Magic Hat failed. Didn't expand too much and maintained great quality. I really miss Magic Hat red ale.

Grew up in Vt and worked at a beverage store through HS and college. Really miss being able to take home a different beer every night and trying all the good stuff.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

My wife and I are going to go to lunch at the Victory Brewing Company brewpub in Downingtown, PA tomorrow. I will report in, although I have heard awesome things about that place.

They had a beer sampling at our local Wegman's tonight, and I tried their Storm King Stout. So, so good.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I <3 Victory. Golden Monkey and Whirlwind are my favorites. I like Hopdevil, but it's better in the soup @ Sharpedge.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

UVM2003 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
UVM2003 wrote:
Is that a lambic?
Leave it to ommegang to make a fruit beer coming in at 9% ABV. May have to try it.

Nah, just a fruit beer.

The Aphrodite is really good. Its like a good sipper beer. Can't believe its 9% ABV. Pear and raspberry/cherry taste, strong carbonation. Yum.

Also purchased Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin and Southern Tier Creme Brule.

LLSS is good, about the top end of my hop tolerance (not a big ipa guy).

The Creme Brule is too sweet. Way too much butterscotch taste. I commmented the foregoing to the bartender and she said she'd "fix me up." Mixed the second half of my stout with Guinness, put it in a shaker, back into my glass and that was just right, took the edge off the sweetness.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Dogfishhead >>>>>>>> sierra nevada
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Kraftster wrote:
The Aphrodite is really good. Its like a good sipper beer. Can't believe its 9% ABV. Pear and raspberry/cherry taste, strong carbonation. Yum.

Also purchased Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin and Southern Tier Creme Brule.

LLSS is good, about the top end of my hop tolerance (not a big ipa guy).

The Creme Brule is too sweet. Way too much butterscotch taste. I commmented the foregoing to the bartender and she said she'd "fix me up." Mixed the second half of my stout with Guinness, put it in a shaker, back into my glass and that was just right, took the edge off the sweetness.
I too was at NH Mad Mex and I sampled the Aphrodite. Really good, seemed like it's made with a champagne yeast that contributed to the crisp taste and the development of the fruit. At $10, it's a little pricey but certainly worth a shot.

I'm a big hop guy so I always enjoy Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin, but I can see how non hop-heads find it rather aggressive.

Creme Brule is my GF's favorite ST offering. I hear you on the sweetness, and it's not the best beer to have when you're having numerous in a sitting. Very interesting to mix with Guiness, I imagine that was pretty awesome. It's obviously a desert type beer, and surprisingly goes well over vanilla ice cream.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

count2infinity wrote:Dogfishhead >>>>>>>> sierra nevada
To each his own, I just find the comparison a tad bizarre. Outside of 60 Minute IPA Dogfish makes no 'standard' beer. If this is a dogfish 60 versus sierra pale I would agree with you, but I do find I enjoy SN Torpedo more than 60 minute. My proclivity for Sierra is based on what they've done for craft beer - they basically ushered in the movement and are often looked at as the benchmarks of a certain style. I'm also a hop head so Sierra's brews satisfy that moreso than anything Dogfish brews outside of the 60-90-120 IPAs.

Like I said I do appreciate what Dogfish does with very non-standard beers and some of it works well (Palo Santo Marron) while others (Fort or World Wide Stout) border on undrinkable.

Now, I do think that everyone should try a 120 minute at some point. Where Sam Adams Utopias is more of a brandy-like drink, 120 comes in around 21% but you always know you're drinking beer.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

yes UVM, i was comparing 60 minute vs sierra pale ale. as far as other stuff that dogfishhead does, it's hit or miss for me.