2014-15 Non-Pens Transactions

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2014-15 Non-Pens Transactions

Post by BleuLineLady »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e22938348/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting story...Leafs are blowing it up entirely. What an ugly situation for them. Some fans and teams have always looked down on the Penguins, the Blackhawks etc for stinking for a few years and rebuilding through the draft. Yes, its not a guarantee. Pens got lucky with Sid and most of their top draft picks turned out well...Malkin, Staal, Fleury. There's instances where it doesnt work...see Edmonton, but it was above the Leafs and some of their fans to "tank"...they tried to rebuild on the fly by making some questionable trades and signed some high priced players to long contracts. They did that to avoid being terrible...well it turned theyre terrible anyways...theyre a higher priced bad team. I guess its never too late to start, but Leaf fans better be ready for this...its going get alot worse before it gets better for them. Literally 75% of that team needs to be dumped and traded if they want to get better.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

It will mean a new philosophy on building slowly through the draft and long-term projects, rather than quick fixes via trades for established players. It will mean at least three more years of pain for fans, and as many as five.
I wonder if Toronto could really be this patient.

Also, as an aside (re: Kane)...
as per @DarrenDreger Kane was playing through broken bone in his foot and broken bone in his hand in addition to shoulder injury
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Maybe a landing spot for the other Kane... who I still would not be surprised to see traded this summer.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Patrick?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Yeah but I didn't realize Toronto was actually being serious about rebuilding until I read some articles. I figured it would be the kind of rebuild like when they acquired Giguere, Phaneuf, and Kessel and traded the #2 overall pick.

Not sure why but I have it stuck in my head that Patrick Kane isn't going to be a Hawk next year. If the cap doesn't make a decent jump, 21 million on two guys is going to complicate things over there. Resigning Saad would sure be a challenge.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Then you dump saad and others if needed. Dude just got signed and is leading the league in scoring. Trading him would be....odd
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Sharp has two years left at $5.9M cap hit...so he'll likely be gone.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Sharp is also currently on their third line most nights. That's a lot of cheddar for a third line guy.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, Patrick Kane has a beat on the Hart Trophy this year. He generates all this offense with the second line. He's had Shaw and Handzus and now Richards as his center. He's not with Toews and Sharp or Toews and Hossa. He's about as valuable to the Hawks as you can get.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I hear ya but man... youre taking a cap team and basically adding two more guys at 4.2 million... thats a huge hit. if the cap goes up 2 million or so, youre stuck finding about 6 million somewhere. There will be casualties... sharp, saad, bickell... plus they have 2 defensemen to sign still.

They made it work after their first cup. There's no reason they can't do it again. But it won't be easy.

I'm just thinking about the haul of cheap young stars and high draft picks they could get. Unprecedented
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Bickell is very dump-able...he's a very lazy player for most of the regular season...so, that's found money right there...Oduya isn't that good really, so they could lose whatever he makes...I think they'll be fine without losing their mulleted administrator of offensive magic...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

BleuLineLady wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e22938348/

Interesting story...Leafs are blowing it up entirely. What an ugly situation for them. Some fans and teams have always looked down on the Penguins, the Blackhawks etc for stinking for a few years and rebuilding through the draft. Yes, its not a guarantee. Pens got lucky with Sid and most of their top draft picks turned out well...Malkin, Staal, Fleury. There's instances where it doesnt work...see Edmonton, but it was above the Leafs and some of their fans to "tank"...they tried to rebuild on the fly by making some questionable trades and signed some high priced players to long contracts. They did that to avoid being terrible...well it turned theyre terrible anyways...theyre a higher priced bad team. I guess its never too late to start, but Leaf fans better be ready for this...its going get alot worse before it gets better for them. Literally 75% of that team needs to be dumped and traded if they want to get better.
That's the mistake Flyers continue to make. And I still can't get over the press conference they had when they signed the 3 old guys and their GM looked so proud like these were the pieces to win the Cup and I could just see the WTF on the 3 players' faces. Talking about Lacavalier, Streit and I forget the 3rd guy.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Ray Emery for the lolz.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

mikey287 wrote:Ray Emery for the lolz.
You saw that lol.... the whole thing was so creepy.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

Sarcastic wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e22938348/

That's the mistake Flyers continue to make. And I still can't get over the press conference they had when they signed the 3 old guys and their GM looked so proud like these were the pieces to win the Cup and I could just see the WTF on the 3 players' faces. Talking about Lacavalier, Streit and I forget the 3rd guy.
The Leafs interim coach is livid with his players, he's scratched Clarkson and Kessel is on the 4th line...but Leafs management, Shanahan etc...theyre totally fine with the team flopping. Winning games right now will only hurt the Leafs...losing games is what they want. The Flyers to their own detriment refuse to accept or do that for whatever reason...they keep thinking the window is open for them, instead of taking a year or 2 off to reset the team. The Flyers are winning games right now and I for one am loving it. They stunk bad enough at the start that winning games isnt going to get them back in it...its too late. The top 4 teams are playing too well, so all theyre doing is hurting their draft position...only making it hard on themselves to retool.

Although I'm sure theyre going to keep making trades in hopes that will work...its gotten them into the playoffs, but they havent been a true contender to win the cup since 2010.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Nashville acquires: Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli
Toronto acquires: Olli Jokinen, Brendan Leipsic and a 2015 1st...
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Cody Franson returns home.

I was hearing Nashville was talking to TO...but Kessel's name was being thrown around.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Poor Olli.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Beveridge wrote:Poor Olli.
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6m6 minutes ago
Let's just say Olli Jokinen was less than thrilled to hear he had been traded to the Leafs.

I wonder why? :slug:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Kovy27 wrote:Cody Franson returns home.
Actually, Kovy, they're both former Preds as luck with have it...

OJ will likely be dealt again by the Leafs in the not too distant future...he probably shouldn't unpack...
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the riddler »

If the price for Franson is a first rounder, Bozak should be able to net at least that much. Finally, the Maple Leafs are doing the right thing. Good trade for Nashville too, their defense looks pretty formidable and they have have a ton of depth at forward.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Well, that's tough to slice the pie. If Franson is worth a first, that means Santorelli is worth Leipsic (a B/B-/C+ prospect, depending on who you ask) minus Olli Jokinen's salary also coming back. So, if Santorelli is worth that little, than Bozak can't be worth a ton. It's pretty clear that Bozak is just along for the ride with JVR and Kessel...which is fine, but it's tough for another team to match that situation where the center is the complementary piece and the wingers dominate the play...otherwise, you're looking at more of a third line center in Bozak...

You're looking at needs to...who needs Bozak with term? That's a question that will go a long way to deciding his value I feel...
Chirpin' Grinder
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chirpin' Grinder »

mikey287 wrote:Bickell is very dump-able...he's a very lazy player for most of the regular season...so, that's found money right there...Oduya isn't that good really, so they could lose whatever he makes...I think they'll be fine without losing their mulleted administrator of offensive magic...
Tremendous 8-)
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

mikey287 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Cody Franson returns home.
Actually, Kovy, they're both former Preds as luck with have it...

OJ will likely be dealt again by the Leafs in the not too distant future...he probably shouldn't unpack...
Yeah, I forgot about Santorelli being on the Preds. I like what the Preds are doing.

Yes, OJ will be moved again.

Leafs fire sale begins today, I guess.
Chirpin' Grinder
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chirpin' Grinder »

mikey287 wrote:Nashville acquires: Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli
Toronto acquires: Olli Jokinen, Brendan Leipsic and a 2015 1st...
Was any salary retained by either side???

Appears to be a pretty fair deal for both sides.