What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by Maestro »

Yeah Eller has been 1 shining light.
Trade the coach.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:55 pm
KG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:27 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:20 pm Carter is off books next year, Jake re-signed, insert some youth into lineup with Poulin and Yager.. Make a hockey trade with Smith for another winger and lets move on, I wouldnt want to give up on Rakell yet.. he could bounce back next year! Nieto gets traded for 4/5th rounder..

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
RS swap - Malkin - Rakell
DOC - Eller - Puustinen/Bemsberg (whoever is better for remainder of season)
Poulin - Yager - Acciari
x - Puljujarvi

Thats still very decent lineup.. but without new coach, I dont know..
I think Yager is a couple years away. You also don't want him playing 4th line minutes with how this coach implements his 4th line. Defense only, offensive blackhole.

I would look to move Eller at the deadline as well. Get a younger 3C.
Why move Eller? Moving overachieving guys is a mistake..
He's having a good year but he's going to be 35 in a couple of months. We need less 35 year olds. I wouldn't give him away, but I think we could get a 2nd round pick or a younger player for him. Contenders always look for Eller types at the deadline.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Eller has been a great pick up...I would move him in a heart beat for a decent pick. I would move him for a 3rd no question...for a 2nd, I would pack his bag myself. He is not a long term anything here, so getting even a low % chance to get another asset (like turning a 3rd into another Jake) would be a win win.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Antonio wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:04 pm Eller has been a great pick up...I would move him in a heart beat for a decent pick. I would move him for a 3rd no question...for a 2nd, I would pack his bag myself. He is not a long term anything here, so getting even a low % chance to get another asset (like turning a 3rd into another Jake) would be a win win.
I'm 100% on board.
I think you have to seriously look at what you can get for:
- Eller
- R. Smith
- Guentzel
- Nedeljkovic
- Nieto
- Ruhwedel

Even if most of these players (probably other than Guentzel) return only picks or prospects, I could see Dubas repackaging them for other assets, perhaps players close to NHL ready.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

dark_forces wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:43 pm
Antonio wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:04 pm Eller has been a great pick up...I would move him in a heart beat for a decent pick. I would move him for a 3rd no question...for a 2nd, I would pack his bag myself. He is not a long term anything here, so getting even a low % chance to get another asset (like turning a 3rd into another Jake) would be a win win.
I'm 100% on board.
- Eller
- R. Smith
- Guentzel
- Nedeljkovic
- Nieto
- Ruhwedel

Even if most of these players (probably other than Guentzel) return only picks or prospects, I could see Dubas repackaging them for other assets, perhaps players close to NHL ready.
I would add Carter to the list. Ask him to waive his trade restrictions if a playoff contender enquires about his eligibility, pay his salary for the duration of the season in return for a 3 round pick. Penguins get a pick, Carter gets gone, and Sullivan has to play a younger player - no choice.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

BigMcK wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:15 pm
I'm 100% on board.
- Eller
- R. Smith
- Guentzel
- Nedeljkovic
- Nieto
- Ruhwedel

I would add Carter to the list. Ask him to waive his trade restrictions if a playoff contender enquires about his eligibility, pay his salary for the duration of the season in return for a 3 round pick. Penguins get a pick, Carter gets gone, and Sullivan has to play a younger player - no choice.
I would keep Ned and move Jarry.

I'd be curious if Detroit would be interested in Jarry if we took Husso off their hands
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I'm 100% on board.
- Eller
- R. Smith
- Guentzel
- Nedeljkovic
- Nieto
- Ruhwedel

If any other teams uses analytics to any degree...nobody is going to come calling for Carter.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

How much of a *** move would it be if some team wanted Carter, the Pens asked him to waive his NTC and he declined? The team put up with his crappy play for two years and the coach played him way more than he deserved. And the team paid him WAY too much.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:24 pm
I'm 100% on board.
- Eller
- R. Smith
- Guentzel
- Nedeljkovic
- Nieto
- Ruhwedel

If any other teams uses analytics to any degree...nobody is going to come calling for Carter.
If someone would take Carter for even a 7th rounder, I'd take it. He's gone anyway, and doesn't factor into anything.
Just for kicks, I've gone below and added beside each player what I think their estimated trade values are. BTW, I think Jarry stays. He's still young enough and makes a reasonable wage for his stats. I also think that—if you believe Yohe—he and Dubas had a long talk before he signed the last contract and it was a "we believe in you if you believe in us" type of contract. For that reason, I think he sticks around and possibly Nedeljkovic goes elsewhere. I would only deal him for a draft pick in 2024 and no less than a 3rd rounder.

- Eller - 3rd round pick. It seems as though a contending team would easily give up a 3rd for what he brings.
- R. Smith - 2nd round pick, or a B level prospect (bottom pair defenseman, 3rd line forward type).
I think, given the deadline, he could fetch more than the 3rd rounder it took to acquire him.
- Guentzel - this is the toughest. I'd say a 1st round pick in either '24 or '25, an on the cusp, legit NHL player, and a top 5 prospect. That type of package
seems to be the going rate, but this type of trade is most difficult to navigate.
- Nedeljkovic - 3rd round pick. It seems he's good insurance if a starter struggles, or a team wants to attempt a platoon scenario.
- Nieto - 6th round pick. He's good 4th line depth and is a proven penalty killer. They'll always be a buyer for a player like him.
- Ruhwedel - 5th round pick (See above. He's a proven no frills, depth defenseman, and some team will give up a later pick for him.)
HellsKitchen7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by HellsKitchen7 »

I don't think Guentzel will yield as large a bounty as some in Pittsburgh are thinking. He's a great winger who puts up good numbers, yes, but without a future hall of fame player as his center? I don't think he comes close to what he's done thus far.

How often do you see him take over a game or will a goal on his own out of nothing? I'm sure other GMs see that and the fact that he frequently gets the rag doll treatment against more physical teams doesn't bode well for any playoff contenders.

Not trying to dump all over Jake, because I do think he's good where he's at. I just don't see him being as good without a great center and I feel like expectations should be tempered on any return.

My prediction is that he stays and we probably over pay him.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

HellsKitchen7 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:55 pm I don't think Guentzel will yield as large a bounty as some in Pittsburgh are thinking. He's a great winger who puts up good numbers, yes, but without a future hall of fame player as his center? I don't think he comes close to what he's done thus far.

How often do you see him take over a game or will a goal on his own out of nothing? I'm sure other GMs see that and the fact that he frequently gets the rag doll treatment against more physical teams doesn't bode well for any playoff contenders.

Not trying to dump all over Jake, because I do think he's good where he's at. I just don't see him being as good without a great center and I feel like expectations should be tempered on any return.

My prediction is that he stays and we probably over pay him.
You are correct on Guentzel in terms of his style of play. He doesn't drive play on his own. He doesn't muscle his way into the zone and just rip off a deadly shot.

But, I'm not certain he NEEDS a HOF center like Sid. Would I expect him to go to Nashville and have ROR or Sissons as his center and put up the same numbers? Absolutely not. But I think if he has a quality center, he's fine. If he went to Edmonton, for example, he'd likely do really well with McDavid...but I think he'd do just fine on a wing with RNH. As long as your top 6 centers aren't below average, stretches to be there, I think Jake will do well.

I still don't see Jake staying here. It doesn't make sense from either side:
--Jake's young enough that he could move to a strong contending team and make a run at another Cup or two.
--Jake and his agent should be well aware that he likely gets more money outside Pittsburgh, and likely has far greater chances of playoff success.

The Penguins can want to re-sign him till their hearts content, but if Jake is dead set on going to market, there's nothing else they can do.

I think one way or another, Jake is going to get a good return. He's in the top 5-7 playoff goal scorers over the last several years...better than a goal every other game.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Nothing thrilling in that offer. Foegele is a UFA, d prospect, 1st and 3rd. There will be much better offers out there.
HellsKitchen7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by HellsKitchen7 »

Yes, with either McDavid or Mackinnon you'd probably see the same numbers, but not many else, in my opinion. Not to say he wouldn't be good, just not as good.

Playoff numbers may be misleading. In 21-22 he had 8 goals which was outstanding despite the Pens blowing a 3-1 series lead. The three previous seasons he managed 6 points in 14 games with only one goal each year. Not exactly a great showing, though you could say that about the entire team. His best year was '18 with 21 points in 12 games. He was only 23 or 24 years old at the time so that might as well be a lifetime ago.

TBH, I'd rather see him go and get paid and let the Pens get assets to attempt their micro fast track rebuild. Nostalgia reigns supreme in Pittsburgh unfortunately.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Freidman was just on HNIC. Said Vancouver, Vegas, Edmonton, Carolina, Florida (among others) are interested in Jake. He also mentioned the Pens could move one of their goalies.

Nothing we didn't really know, but...

I think Van has some solid young pieces that would definitely interest the Pens. Wonder how "all in" Allvin/JR will go?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:36 pm

Nothing thrilling in that offer. Foegele is a UFA, d prospect, 1st and 3rd. There will be much better offers out there.
I don't know, Beau Akey kinda reads like Kris Letang to be honest with you. Not that I think the Penguins should make this trade, but I can see an argument for accepting this deal.

19 years old, 6' 185 pounds, RH defensemen.

From SI Prospects:

https://sportsillustratedprospects.com/ ... ive%20zone.

Beau is an excellent skater with high-quality offensive instincts. Beau has a high hockey sense and strong shot, which allow him to be creative when in the offensive zone so that he can either score goals or make successful plays. Beau is very strong offensively, but could become stronger in the defensive zone.

Hockey Writers is kinda the same: https://thehockeywriters.com/beau-akey- ... t-profile/
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

We have had BAD luck with players named Beau.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:10 pm
KG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:36 pm

I don't know, Beau Akey kinda reads like Kris Letang to be honest with you. Not that I think the Penguins should make this trade, but I can see an argument for accepting this deal.

19 years old, 6' 185 pounds, RH defensemen.

From SI Prospects:

https://sportsillustratedprospects.com/ ... ive%20zone.

Beau is an excellent skater with high-quality offensive instincts. Beau has a high hockey sense and strong shot, which allow him to be creative when in the offensive zone so that he can either score goals or make successful plays. Beau is very strong offensively, but could become stronger in the defensive zone.

Hockey Writers is kinda the same: https://thehockeywriters.com/beau-akey- ... t-profile/
Akey is good. I've mentioned him a few pages ago, but...he's like 4/5 in their prospect rankings. Holloway, Broberg, and Bourgault are considered their top 3. Seeing that Edmonton's prospect pool isn't much better than ours (ranked 25th by the Athletic), I need one of those top guys, or I need a better roster player.

Now, if they did 1st, 3rd, Akey, and McLeod, I may be tempted. But Foegle is nothing. He's a slightly below average output 3rd liner, 27, and a UFA. That's not what we need on this roster.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens had scouts at both the Vegas/Sens and Kings/Ducks games tonight.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:52 pm Freidman was just on HNIC. Said Vancouver, Vegas, Edmonton, Carolina, Florida (among others) are interested in Jake. He also mentioned the Pens could move one of their goalies.

Nothing we didn't really know, but...

I think Van has some solid young pieces that would definitely interest the Pens. Wonder how "all in" Allvin/JR will go?
I could see each of these teams. This would be my ask

1) Vancouver - rental - Guentzel (50% retained) for 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Podkolzin and Elias Pettersson (no, not that one)
Vancouver - extension - Guentzel (50% retained this season) for 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Lekkerimaki and Podkolzin
I've soured a bit on Hoglander simply because of his size. He's another sub-5'10" guy, and we don't want a large collection of them.

2) Vegas - rental - Guentzel (50% retained) for 2025 1st, 2024 3rd, Brendan Brisson and Mathew Cataford
Vegas - extension - Quite simply, I don't think they have anything that makes me say this is enough for Guentzel with an extension.

3) Edmonton - rental - Guentzel (50% retained) for 2025 1st, 2026 3rd, McLeod and Akey
Edmonton - extension - Guentzel (50% retained for 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Holloway and Broberg

4) Carolina - rental - Guentzel (50% retained) for 2025 1st, 2024 3rd, Bunting, and Bradley Nadeau
Carolina - extension - Guentzel (50% retained for 2025 1st, 2024 3rd, Bunting and Alexander Nikishin

5) Florida - rental - Guentzel (50% retained) for 2026 1st, 2025 3rd for Luostarinen and Mackie Samoskevich
Florida - extension - Quite simply, I don't think they have anything that makes me say this is enough for Guentzel with an extension.

Just some quick points here:

--Carolina (13th), Vancouver (18th) and Edmonton (25th) seem to have the most flexibility in what they can offer. There are a few different pieces I would take, whereas Vegas (23rd) and Florida (24th) have very limited pieces, and almost nothing high end that even excites me to want to trade with them.

--I don't really think Florida is going to trade Luostarinen, but, even with retention I believe they need to move a contract of some significance off their roster.

--If all of these trades were acceptable, I'd probably want the Edmonton deal as a rental player, and Carolina deal as a long term extension

Nikishin might be the best pure prospect of any listed above. This is his full scout report from the Athletic prospect pool rankings. He has a contract in Russia through next season, I believe. The KHL/Ukraine situation makes this a bit dicey...which is why Carolina may not want to wait on him, while the Penguins may have more luxury. If he came over for the 2025 season, the Penguins could likely deal Marcus Petterson at the trade deadline next year to get some more good futures.

1. Alexander Nikishin, LHD, 22 (SKA St. Petersburg)
One of the most impressive young players outside the NHL at his position over the last couple of years, Nikishin now has the two most productive U23 seasons in KHL history by a defenseman. Last year, he broke Kirill Kaprizov’s U22 points record. This year, he leads SKA in scoring and is the youngest captain in the league. In both seasons, he led the league’s D in scoring. He has done it while playing huge minutes on one of the better teams in the league in each season.

Nikishin’s a physically advanced (6-foot-4, 216-pound) defender whose strength is evident in his blistering point shot, his ability to win board battles and his net-front boxouts. I like the way he reads the play, closes off the wall and gets into passing lanes. He’s strong defensively at five-on-five and on the penalty kill. He plays the game with presence and command. He moves pucks confidently. He can skate. He manages the point effectively and has shown an ability to beat the first layer. I’ve believed in his offensive game since his draft year and it is now well-established at the pro level, with the tools and instincts to do damage, and a trigger-happy eagerness to put pucks low and hard on net. He checks a lot of the boxes that coaches look for and should be a two-way top-four stud with some real offense when he comes over.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cojac »

Here’s what I’d ask for:

Guntzel 1st, 2nd, Top prospect, NHL roster player
Jarry 1st, top 3 prospect, NHL G
Smith 3rd or 4th, younger prospect
Rakell 3rd or 4th, younger prospect
Rust 2nd, 3rd, top 3 prospect
Eller 3rd, younger prospect
Graves 5th
Carter 7th
Nieto 4th
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Sams_Dog wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:28 pm How much of a *** move would it be if some team wanted Carter, the Pens asked him to waive his NTC and he declined? The team put up with his crappy play for two years and the coach played him way more than he deserved. And the team paid him WAY too much.
The team signed the contract just like he did.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

cojac wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:22 am Here’s what I’d ask for:

Graves 5th
Carter 7th
Nieto 4th
Too much for Jarry and too little for Graves, despite that he is having a bad year..
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pens4Life wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:05 am
cojac wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:22 am Here’s what I’d ask for:

Graves 5th
Carter 7th
Nieto 4th
Too much for Jarry and too little for Graves, despite that he is having a bad year..
I really don't think Jarry or Rust are going anywhere. And I doubt Rakell is dealt either.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I agree.. Rakell maybe small chance he is moved,if he has wish for change of scenery,but otherwise I think he stays.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Pens4Life wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:09 pm I agree.. Rakell maybe small chance he is moved,if he has wish for change of scenery,but otherwise I think he stays.
Good, wouldn't want to lose his production :roll: