Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pens4Life »

If Puljujarvi is kept, I would waive Nieto, Zohorna.. Call up Poulin up soon, let him get 5 games in AHL, then get him with big boys.

When all healthy my preffered lineup :

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Smith - Malkin - Puustinen
Rakell - Eller - Puljujarvi
DOC - Poulin - Acciari (he should play wing, not center)
x - Carter

Play Carter every second or third game..
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

It would be amazing if Puus can stick with the team. I remember last season getting my hopes up when Nylander had a little spurt playing with Geno and Zucker, and we all know how that ended. Similar to Big Z this year. Started out solid, then fell off.

I guess my expectations are tempered, but he doesn't look out of place.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:09 pm It would be amazing if Puus can stick with the team. I remember last season getting my hopes up when Nylander had a little spurt playing with Geno and Zucker, and we all know how that ended. Similar to Big Z this year. Started out solid, then fell off.

I guess my expectations are tempered, but he doesn't look out of place.
If Sullivan lets him work through a slump he'll be fine. Problem is he's under 30 and doesn't have a big contract so Sullivan won't let him work through something.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

DelPen wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:33 am We started seeing some bottom 6 scoring when everyone was healthy and then injuries had Kapanen and Gruden playing. It’s not great but it could still come around. I think the bottom 6 being garbage for the last 5 years is more on the coaches than the probably 2 dozen players we have seen come through.
when did we reacquire Kapanen?? what did we give up?
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Totally random thought…
I am not saying he is as good as or going to be as good as these players, but I see a little Daniel Briere/Stu Barnes type mannerisms in Puustinen’s game. I actually think he needs to be more confident in himself, because he seems to process things quickly.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Shea cleared waivers and has been re-assigned to WBS. Hinostroza sent back down as well.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Hmm.. Pens either are in a hurry to get back under the cap as soon as Rust comes off LTIR.

.. or room is made for Pool Party signing?
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:13 am Hmm.. Pens either are in a hurry to get back under the cap as soon as Rust comes off LTIR.

He hasn't made it on the ice for a practice yet (Puljujärvi). I'm pretty sure making cap room for him is not even on the radar at this point.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sigwolf wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:48 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:13 am Hmm.. Pens either are in a hurry to get back under the cap as soon as Rust comes off LTIR.

He hasn't made it on the ice for a practice yet (Puljujärvi). I'm pretty sure making cap room for him is not even on the radar at this point.
He was on the ice the first day we announced his signing. I don't recall if he's been on the ice with the full team since then.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Yeah I guess it's that I really can't follow why Pens are moving roster pieces these days. Hinostroza has a pulse, Harkins is just kinda there, Zohorna is struggling, so we send down Vinnie.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:02 pm

He was on the ice the first day we announced his signing. I don't recall if he's been on the ice with the full team since then.
He may have been on the ice to work with strength and conditioning, but I don't believe he ever participated in a full practice. I could be wrong there, but I also have seen nothing to indicate he has worked with the team on the ice recently. He's a ways off from a signing, if at all, and I certainly don't believe they are doing cap maneuvers on his account.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Sigwolf wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:57 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:02 pm

He may have been on the ice to work with strength and conditioning, but I don't believe he ever participated in a full practice. I could be wrong there, but I also have seen nothing to indicate he has worked with the team on the ice recently. He's a ways off from a signing, if at all, and I certainly don't believe they are doing cap maneuvers on his account.
Only thing that I can think of is signing him to an NHL contract then send him to WBS to continue the rehab. I think after X amount of days he’ll have to pay for his own expenses so this might be a way to make sure that doesn’t happen and keep him with the team after he’s healthy.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ned first goalie off at practice today. Looks to be starting back to back games.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:59 am If Puljujarvi is kept, I would waive Nieto, Zohorna.. Call up Poulin up soon, let him get 5 games in AHL, then get him with big boys.

When all healthy my preffered lineup :

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Smith - Malkin - Puustinen
Rakell - Eller - Puljujarvi
DOC - Poulin - Acciari (he should play wing, not center)
x - Carter

Play Carter every second or third game..
My prediction is that Puljujarvi doesn't receive a contract. Puustinen's emergence has helped this decision.
I would go with:
Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Smith - Malkin - Puustinen (*if he slows, drop him a line and promote Rust)
DOC - Eller - Rust
Nieto - Poulin - Acciari
x - Carter
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Read something a couple days ago that GMKD is going to gauge the team based off results in January. It said that if the results are bad, he would approach EK and others and ask if they would want to waive the no-trade clause in their contract to be possibly get moved to a contender.

I think it's a Kingerski article?

Since he isn't touching the coaching staff, it seems accountability is only to be borne by the players.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SteelCityFan »

The organization talks about “extending the window” for our core players. They sign Malkin and Letang to ridiculous contracts, bring in EK and reshuffle our 3rd and 4th lines with “experienced” guys. Malkin looks completely disinterested in playing the sport of hockey, Letang continues to make head scratching turnovers and mistakes and our 3rd and 4th lines look like they belong in the AHL. Throw in the fact that our Powerless Play is laughable and we have empty sweaters on the second line and it’s a recipe for disaster.

I’m not sure what Dubas needs to see to make significant changes. What we trot out on the ice night to night isn’t going to make the playoffs. And, if by some miracle they sneak into the playoffs, they’re going to get smoked.

But that seems to be the standard these days. Try to struggle your way into the playoffs, and if you make it you get thumped.

You can’t fire the whole team, but you can change the coaching staff. Or are we content with another below average season with no playoffs or an embarrassing first round loss?

The Core are here to stay. They haven’t won a playoff series since 2018. Is it time for a coaching change?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

WBS on a 4 game win streak. Pitlick on a 9 game point streak. Wonder if we will recall him if he have the cap space.

Also Elliotte Friedman said Dubas is on the hunt for a D man
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Saw on another site that Madden said on the radio that R. Smith isn't happy here and wouldn't mind a trade. Any of you local yinzers hear that??
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

KG wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:54 am Saw on another site that Madden said on the radio that R. Smith isn't happy here and wouldn't mind a trade. Any of you local yinzers hear that??
Sounds like a lot of guys on this team. I’ve gotta question why so many formerly productive NHL players are struggling on this team this year. Hell, even Malkin hasn’t looked very good. Something doesn’t seem right this season. Maybe Dubas could tell us all again how Sullivan is the right coach for this team. :face:
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

YES…..FIRE SULLY!!!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Find a defenseman to replace Graves...big ask.
Find a 3rd line winger who has 12-18 goal ability AND plays sound defense.
Take a look at Poulin and Pitlick.
Ship out Nieto for a late round pick
Sign Puljujarvi.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Smith-Malkin-Puustinen
X-Eller-Rakell
DOC-Acciari-Puljujarvi

3rd line with some pop, 4th line shutdown and size with good defensive ability.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I would prefer to give Graves time to adjust, preferably with a different coach. Wouldn't the first time a D man come here and takes a year to adjust. He has never been this bad before I don't think (didn't watch nj closely I admit).
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Watching Preds/Stars game on NHL Network. Errey doing the game with Hradek. Strange that FSG wouldn't retain Errery in some capacity. We have a million people on these broadcasts. At the very least Errey is much better than Trotts.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Speaking of time to adjust, remember when everyone thought Pettersson was a bust and why did GMJR give him a lucrative extension. People were calling for him to be traded. He needed time to adjust, let’s give Graves the same courtesy.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Wyopen wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:15 pm Speaking of time to adjust, remember when everyone thought Pettersson was a bust and why did GMJR give him a lucrative extension. People were calling for him to be traded. He needed time to adjust, let’s give Graves the same courtesy.

Peterson wasn't the only guy to take time to settle in, Gonchar and Paul Martin took time too.