2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by Sams_Dog »

BizNasty needs to lay off of the Pink Whitneys before airtime. Wow.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Just checking in on the West Coast games. Kraken v. Avs intermission report heading into OT.

Judging on the panel; BizNasty and Keith Yandle have lost playing weight, while Anson Carter lost weight but still has broad shoulders.

Not sure if by design to keep TV contracts, ($$$), or due to eating habits away from high protein to keep body mass.

Kind of curious what Doug Murray looks like today. Listed at one point as 245 lbs.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Kraken beat AVs in OT. Fun game to watch, Kraken shot the puck from all angles, think they ended with 41 to 20something shots.

Sprong with the first Dutch playoffs goal since 1986 a lovely shot too.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Cale Makar puts out McCann with a dirty hit. Won't play game 5.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

penny lane wrote:Cale Makar puts out McCann with a dirty hit. Won't play game 5.
Don't know how the refs/league only gave that a 2 minute interference call after they reviewed the hit.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

KG wrote:
penny lane wrote:Cale Makar puts out McCann with a dirty hit. Won't play game 5.
Don't know how the refs/league only gave that a 2 minute interference call after they reviewed the hit.
McCann a penalty killer. Who knew?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote:
Someone on Twitter commented that the whistle blew after the hit so what Makar did (according to them) was within the play so it would be interference since the puck wasn't there but not a late hit situation.

Found the feed, the hit wasn't cheap at all since the whistle clearly blew after the hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP7X9Wt3SVA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Daniel wrote:
KG wrote:
Someone on Twitter commented that the whistle blew after the hit so what Makar did (according to them) was within the play so it would be interference since the puck wasn't there but not a late hit situation.

Found the feed, the hit wasn't cheap at all since the whistle clearly blew after the hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP7X9Wt3SVA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The hit was 4-5 seconds after the puck was gone. McCann was already slowing himself down to a glide and was completely not bracing for contact. The hit was late, unnecessary...like to say intent to injure but that can't be proven. It should have been much more than a minor penalty.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
KG wrote:

The hit was 4-5 seconds after the puck was gone. McCann was already slowing himself down to a glide and was completely not bracing for contact. The hit was late, unnecessary...like to say intent to injure but that can't be proven. It should have been much more than a minor penalty.
It wasn't nearly as bad but it was a little reminiscent of the Hunter hit on Turgeon. Definitely a hit worthy of suspension.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

It’s interesting how many times the refs review a hit, determine it is not worthy of a major or ejection, and then the league calls a hearing and suspends the player afterward. Disconnect between the refs and the Dept of Player Safety? Or maybe an after the fact judgement call
based on the reaction by the team, fans, and media?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
KG wrote:

How was Makar supposed to know the puck was gone? Athletes play to the whistle, the whistle came after the hit.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Sams_Dog wrote:It’s interesting how many times the refs review a hit, determine it is not worthy of a major or ejection, and then the league calls a hearing and suspends the player afterward. Disconnect between the refs and the Dept of Player Safety? Or maybe an after the fact judgement call
I think a suspension is terrible since Makar had no way to know the puck was out of play. Notice when the whistle occured. I think the refs are more responsible for not blowing the whistle than Makar is for playing to the whistle. I imagine the refs changed it to a 2 minute minor......because Makar played to the whistle.

Shot came at 8:21 and puck in netting at 8:24, same time as the hit. What Makar did was part of the game of play. It either took 3 seconds for the puck to get to the net or 3 seconds for the ref to blow the whistle, either way Makar hit McCann at the same time the play ended.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Daniel wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:It’s interesting how many times the refs review a hit, determine it is not worthy of a major or ejection, and then the league calls a hearing and suspends the player afterward. Disconnect between the refs and the Dept of Player Safety? Or maybe an after the fact judgement call
I think a suspension is terrible since Makar had no way to know the puck was out of play. Notice when the whistle occured. I think the refs are more responsible for not blowing the whistle than Makar is for playing to the whistle.
The point is not the puck out of play - it's the fact that he saw McCann shoot it. One can assume he no longer has the puck. What was the purpose of the dirty hit along the boards afterward? I fail to believe that Makar - a top 3 defenseman in this league did not know where the puck was.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote:
Daniel wrote:
I think a suspension is terrible since Makar had no way to know the puck was out of play. Notice when the whistle occured. I think the refs are more responsible for not blowing the whistle than Makar is for playing to the whistle.
The point is not the puck out of play - it's the fact that he saw McCann shoot it. One can assume he no longer has the puck. What was the purpose of the dirty hit along the boards afterward? I fail to believe that Makar - a top 3 defenseman in this league did not know where the puck was.
I think it was interference for sure but the hit was only dirty because McCann thought the play was over and slowed up. The hit itself was just a normal hit made worse because McCann stopped playing before the whistle blew and Makar didn't. If the whistle blew immediately, I don't think Makar makes that hit. Even the play by play log confirms that McCann stopped playing 3 seconds before the clock stopped.

If the puck doesn't go off the net and that hit still occurs, it's just a basic interference right?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Daniel wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Daniel wrote:
I think it was interference for sure but the hit was only dirty because McCann thought the play was over and slowed up. The hit itself was just a normal hit made worse because McCann stopped playing before the whistle blew and Makar didn't. If the whistle blew immediately, I don't think Makar makes that hit. Even the play by play log confirms that McCann stopped playing 3 seconds before the clock stopped.

If the puck doesn't go off the net and that hit still occurs, it's just a basic interference right?
Thinking of it that way, if the puck falls off the glass/netting and lands near the two players, is it even interference? :)

I agree McCann let up fully. I still feel Makar could have been a little less aggressive in that particular instance. Not even sure, as viewed, that it was interference rather than an aggressive end to the play. He just used too much force.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Thinking of it that way, if the puck falls off the glass/netting and lands near the two players, is it even interference? :)

I agree McCann let up fully. I still feel Makar could have been a little less aggressive in that particular instance. Not even sure, as viewed, that it was interference rather than an aggressive end to the play. He just used too much force.
If the ref doesn't blow the whistle? LOL

Makar was aggressive, but it looked like he just finished his hit and McCann let up right away. I think the refs are 100% to blame for this for letting 3 seconds lapse before blowing the whistle. McCann assumed the whistle because he saw the puck hit the net, Makar obviously didn't see the puck hit the net and played to the whistle.

To me the whistle is the key. No whistle should = no suspension, unless you suspend the refs :D Whistle = big suspension

Hopefully the argument of "I played to the whistle" equals no suspension, but the NHL has to save face.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Makar just got 1 game suspension
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote:Makar just got 1 game suspension
For playing to the whistle. That's a saving face suspension for the ineptitude of the refs, who should have been suspended.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Daniel wrote:
KG wrote:Makar just got 1 game suspension
For playing to the whistle. That's a saving face suspension for the ineptitude of the refs, who should have been suspended.
So, from what I read here are there any competent unbiased refs at all in the NHL? Maybe the refs could do better if they watched the games on TV cameras in an above ice box. They would get a better look at stuff in slow-mo like we do. Or maybe every call should be reviewed by good old guys in Toronto.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Daniel wrote:
I think a suspension is terrible since Makar had no way to know the puck was out of play. Notice when the whistle occured. I think the refs are more responsible for not blowing the whistle than Makar is for playing to the whistle. I imagine the refs changed it to a 2 minute minor......because Makar played to the whistle.

Shot came at 8:21 and puck in netting at 8:24, same time as the hit. What Makar did was part of the game of play. It either took 3 seconds for the puck to get to the net or 3 seconds for the ref to blow the whistle, either way Makar hit McCann at the same time the play ended.
What does the whistle have to do with it? It was a blatant late hit with head contact. Clear interference. Certainly warrants a suspension.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote:
Daniel wrote:

What does the whistle have to do with it? It was a blatant late hit with head contact. Clear interference. Certainly warrants a suspension.
The whistle has everything to do with it. The play is literally ongoing until the whistle sounds, which happened right after the hit. How was it a late hit when it happened while the clock was still running (for a split second longer)? If we’re going this route, people need to get a penalty or suspended for whacking the goal when the puck is under his pads, which they do until the whistle blows.

Play until the whistle is why the whistle has everything to do with this. BTW, the 2 minute minor was an accurate call but should have been the end of the situation.

It was not a hit to the head, the shoulder never hit McCann’s head. The 55 second mark clearly shows the shoulder is nowhere near the head and the stick might have tapped his nose. The hit looked more vicious because McCann didn’t play to the whistle….which again signifies the end of the play.

https://youtu.be/uP7X9Wt3SVA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote:

I would have to strongly disagree. Sure, you can play to the whistle, but McCann does not have the puck. Makar is going on the assumption that McCann is going to get the puck...but he never receives it. In fact, I haven't seen a single replay where I ever see the puck return to play or to any frame that has McCann or Makar in it.

Makar has a full 3 seconds to make a decision and decides to engage aggressively with a hit. There are about 5 other options that he could have taken without making that play. Honestly, today was the first day I have looked at the play. If Bunting got 3 for his cross-check, playoffs or not, I think Makar should have been given 3-5 for this hit. There's just no reasoning for it.

This play reminds me a bit of the Ristolainen hit on Guentzel a few years ago, however, even that hit was a much quicker decision. Ristolainen is expecting Guentzel to get the puck coming out of the zone but the pass hits off something else and never comes within 3 feet of Guentzel, but Ristolainen lines him up anyways with a crushing reverse hit that left him bloodied. But in that play, it happened much faster and Ristolainen was committed. Makar here has 3 seconds after the shot leaves McCann's stick and still decides to make the play.

No excuse, and a slap on a wrist for a pretty reckless, dirty play.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote:
KG wrote:
Daniel wrote:

The whistle has everything to do with it. The play is literally ongoing until the whistle sounds, which happened right after the hit. How was it a late hit when it happened while the clock was still running (for a split second longer)? If we’re going this route, people need to get a penalty or suspended for whacking the goal when the puck is under his pads, which they do until the whistle blows.

Play until the whistle is why the whistle has everything to do with this. BTW, the 2 minute minor was an accurate call but should have been the end of the situation.

It was not a hit to the head, the shoulder never hit McCann’s head. The 55 second mark clearly shows the shoulder is nowhere near the head and the stick might have tapped his nose. The hit looked more vicious because McCann didn’t play to the whistle….which again signifies the end of the play.

The problem is not your argument about the whistle. The problem with your argument is that McCann never possess the puck after his shot, even while there is no whistle yet. It's nowhere near him. Makar gave him a little shove right next to the net. Baby shove...nothing wrong there. And if the puck came off the glass, and fell to McCann's feet as Makar was hitting him...I'd have no problem with the hit. But the puck never returns to McCann. We never see it again in this play.

It's blatant, textbook interference. You cannot throw a check like that on someone who does not have the puck. And because he doesn't have the puck, McCann isn't expecting a hit. It's a dirty, unnecessary play by Makar.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I would have to strongly disagree. Sure, you can play to the whistle, but McCann does not have the puck. Makar is going on the assumption that McCann is going to get the puck...but he never receives it. In fact, I haven't seen a single replay where I ever see the puck return to play or to any frame that has McCann or Makar in it.

Makar has a full 3 seconds to make a decision and decides to engage aggressively with a hit. There are about 5 other options that he could have taken without making that play. Honestly, today was the first day I have looked at the play. If Bunting got 3 for his cross-check, playoffs or not, I think Makar should have been given 3-5 for this hit. There's just no reasoning for it.

This play reminds me a bit of the Ristolainen hit on Guentzel a few years ago, however, even that hit was a much quicker decision. Ristolainen is expecting Guentzel to get the puck coming out of the zone but the pass hits off something else and never comes within 3 feet of Guentzel, but Ristolainen lines him up anyways with a crushing reverse hit that left him bloodied. But in that play, it happened much faster and Ristolainen was committed. Makar here has 3 seconds after the shot leaves McCann's stick and still decides to make the play.

No excuse, and a slap on a wrist for a pretty reckless, dirty play.
I’ve also watched it as well and it was a typical shoulder to shoulder hit and to me was a regular interference, but just a 2 minute minor. The replay folks agreed with this assessment and the punishment is for the injury not the act. If it was as serious as you think, the replay officials should have upheld the 5 minute major.

If McCann plays to the whistle then he doesn’t let up and nothing serious happens. If the ref blows the whistle on time (he’s the real person to blame as far as I’m concerned). Then Makar lets up. The fact that the whistle doesn’t blow tells Makar that the puck is still in play whereas McCann obviously saw it go out of play.

We’ve seen a ton of shoulder to shoulder hits and that one was no different except for the fact that McCann lets up and gets hurt so of course the NHL has a to punish for the injury rather than the video review assessment.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
KG wrote:
Daniel wrote:

The problem is not your argument about the whistle. The problem with your argument is that McCann never possess the puck after his shot, even while there is no whistle yet. It's nowhere near him. Makar gave him a little shove right next to the net. Baby shove...nothing wrong there. And if the puck came off the glass, and fell to McCann's feet as Makar was hitting him...I'd have no problem with the hit. But the puck never returns to McCann. We never see it again in this play.

It's blatant, textbook interference. You cannot throw a check like that on someone who does not have the puck. And because he doesn't have the puck, McCann isn't expecting a hit. It's a dirty, unnecessary play by Makar.
It’s absolutely a textbook interference, which I’ve been saying all along. It’s just a 2 minute interference which the replay refs agreed with. McCann isn’t expecting a hit because he stopped playing before the whistle and Makar does not.

Just to add, this is where your argument loses weight “its dirty because McCann isn’t expecting the hit” (or at least how I’m taking your post). Why isn’t he expecting the hit when the play was ongoing?