Random discussion thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: General discussion thread

Post by Jofa Guy »

meow wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
redwill wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I used to care for 2 Borzois when I was working for the pet sitter. Great dogs. These 2 thought they were lap dogs...
That's exactly what the guy said! "He wants to be a lap dog." So he was gonna kill Odey for that reason.
PensFanInDC wrote:and welcome back...
Thanks, but I never really left. Just lost the desire to post for a bit. Now that that dagny post is in the Announcements section I feel a little more reasonable.
Odey is the name of your....? Cause it's your lap they will want to sit on... 8-)

Sweet sweet dogs. Not my preferred breed (I'm a Golden/English Bulldog/Corgi man) but they were great.
Golden/English Bullgod/Corgi??? Come on dude. Mainstream much.
Bullgod is right!

It's just the three breeds I've been exposed to since I started liking dogs. I also enjoy Dalmatians, we have a brown spotted one and she's the sweetest
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Just realized that wasn't intended directly at me lol
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

PensFanInDC wrote:I love Corgi's because of a character in Dark Tower (Oy).
I didn't picture Oy as anything even close to a Corgi.

More like:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9RbJEI_rYI[/youtube]
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Willie Kool wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I love Corgi's because of a character in Dark Tower (Oy).
I didn't picture Oy as anything even close to a Corgi.
He is described in the books as being roughly the same size as a Corgi (not by name though). The coloring is obviously not the same... Given King's love of the breed I always pictured a cross between a raccoon and a Corgi.

From a Dark Tower wiki page:
They look like a cross between raccoons, woodchucks, and dachshunds
Combine all 3 and I see something like a Corgi...

skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Willie Kool wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Finally not going to have to put window A/C units in the house anymore. Getting a mini split system installed next month. Pretty excited.
I'd really like to do this before summer too. What brand are you going with? Wall hung or in-ceiling units? Cost?
Mitsubishi units. Seemed to be on the better side as far as SEER ratings go. We are doing two indoor units, one in the living room and one in the master bedroom. Both wall hung indoor units(12,000 BTU in the livingroom, 9,000BTU in the bedroom). Cost is around $4500, thats for install, equipment, running any electrical that needs to be run inside/out, breakers etc. 7 year parts warranty, and I think 2 or 3 years labor.. I have to check my bid sheet. Had similar quotes from 3 different HVAC places, not cheap, but figure will pay for itself over the years and be a nice feature when we sell the house down the road.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

redwill wrote:That's the name the guy gave the dog. It was weird, 'cause he said the name and I said, "Oh, like the dog in Garfield." He stared at me for about ten seconds and said "Yeah, I guess." So he apparently got the dog with that name, knew nothing about the Garfield dog, and spelled it phonetically.
That's kind of amazing.... because when it's spelled correctly, it is phonetic.

We decided that all subsequent animals would be named after comedians we liked. So, our first dog is named Carlin. But then we rescued a 7-year old dog named Lily. We couldn't really change her name at that point...... and we do like Lily Tomlin....... so that stayed. Then we rescued a 5-year old cat named Tammy. We both pretty much agree completely that Tammy is a stupid name, but.... 5 year old cat..... Then we found out the person who named her was her first foster - the actress that played Cindy Brady, which..... is sort of comedy related, right?

Anyway, turns out we rarely call them by their names at home. Carlin is Pooperz, Lily is Poot, Tammy is Tamcat or Taminator.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Funny you say that about not calling your pets by their actual names. mrs. meow and I were having a discussion a few weeks ago about how neither of us use their names. Anytime we would call their names (usually for an off-leash return), we whistle one quick whistle for our older German pointer and two quick whistles for our Australian shepherd. Each one only comes to their specific whistle. I bet I haven't said either of their names when interacting with them in months.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

tifosi77 wrote:That's kind of amazing.... because when it's spelled correctly, it is phonetic.

We decided that all subsequent animals would be named after comedians we liked. So, our first dog is named Carlin. But then we rescued a 7-year old dog named Lily. We couldn't really change her name at that point...... and we do like Lily Tomlin....... so that stayed. Then we rescued a 5-year old cat named Tammy. We both pretty much agree completely that Tammy is a stupid name, but.... 5 year old cat..... Then we found out the person who named her was her first foster - the actress that played Cindy Brady, which..... is sort of comedy related, right?

Anyway, turns out we rarely call them by their names at home. Carlin is Pooperz, Lily is Poot, Tammy is Tamcat or Taminator.
Haha. Naming dogs is odd/fun for us. We've had over three hundred dogs come through. Most we've had to name ourselves since they were strays at animal control. Now, we don't like to name any two dogs the same, so some of our names are a little out there.

For a while I got on a name-a-dog-after-a-Native-American-tribe kick, so we had Mohawk, Crow, Kansa (still have her), and Cheyenne.

Some of our personal dogs have two names like yours. Reading is Puppy, Jake is Boo-Boo, Dudley is Dudders (Harry Potter reference), Caine is Grasshopper (Kwai Chang Caine/Grasshopper).
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Poot came about because 1) when we brought her home she was very stinky and prone to... gaseous emissions while we were changing her diet, and 2) she is very diminutive compared to Carlin (Carlin is a 15" beagle, Lily is a 13"), and even other beagles her size. In other words, she was sort of Lilliputian...... Lilly Poot. Poot.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Wife rescued Mr. Jones, a 35 pound ragdoll cat. He was so big that he took up the entire cat carrier and had a litter box that was the size of a human baby wash tub. Mr. Jones was quickly adopted and his name changed.

She also rescued Love Machine, a 22 pound cat that rattled the cage when it purred. The lady that adopted him says that she had never heard the song. She changed his name to Lovey.

In general, those are some big fat cats.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Uh, yeah. Them are big cats.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

"Mr Jones"
"Love Machine"

Awesome....
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Mr jones is a pretty awesome cat name. My moms cat, which she got when i was still in high school(really? Maybe college) is named Fred Jones Part 2. When im there, I correct people when they call him Fred.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

We had a little dog come in named "Cannon." Not bad, but just for fun, I renamed the boy "canaan" after a certain poster on this board.

He was adopted and the adopters renamed him "W-T" which is apparently a reference to a character in Will & Grace. Hahaha.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

We had a cat named fat a-- when I was a kid. She ran away on our move to Dallas
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Dexter is the best name for a pet. My dog im sure loves it.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

redwill, what is the farthest that you have someone travel to rehome an animal from your rescue?
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

BigMcK wrote:redwill, what is the farthest that you have someone travel to rehome an animal from your rescue?
Them travel to us? Springfield, IL.

Me travel to them? Casper, WY. (They came from Seattle (in January) to meet me in Casper.)

Again, we don't encourage long-distance travel to adopt an animal unless it is an extraordinarily good fit or a very hard-to-adopt dog. Adopt locally if possible.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

When we were first starting up, we had interest in one of our dogs (Dudley, who has since become one of our personal dogs) from a lady in Colorado Springs. We e-mailed back and forth a dozen times. We had a local rescue in Colorado Springs do a home visit. Everything looked fine. So I drove out there.

Eight hours each way, through some of the most boring driving territory on God's earth.

I could tell within five minutes that the lady didn't want Dudley. But she dithered for two hours before admitting that she didn't want him. Geez. So I brought him back. She didn't even offer me any ****ing gas money or anything for my trouble.

That was the end of that type of escapade.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Was he photogenic and ugly in person? Why didn't she want him?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

redwill - Do you have a website for your organization?
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

meow wrote:Was he photogenic and ugly in person?
No, that was me.
meow wrote:Why didn't she want him?
Well, let me see, how can I say this? ... uh ... I think she was nuts.

... But hid it well in e-mail and phone conversations.

Seriously, she had a little beagle mix that loved Dudley. That dog got her own toys out and offered them up to him. He played with her to no end.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Yesterday the champion on Jeopardy wore a sweater that looked like Sully from Monsters, Inc. The lady that beat her reminds me of Roz from the same movie.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

count2infinity wrote:Yesterday the champion on Jeopardy wore a sweater that looked like Sully from Monsters, Inc. The lady that beat her reminds me of Roz from the same movie.
This might be one of the most nerdy posts I've read here.