GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by largegarlic »

Kraftster wrote:
largegarlic wrote:As part of the Pittsburgh craft brewing week, I had a sour from Penn Brewery (Fakin' the Funk), which was pretty solid, and a pretty good rye Saison from Church Brew Works, D'Pomme (I think). Neither was as good as some of the high end versions, but both were pretty good local brews.
Where did you try these? I read the article about both last week and really want to give them a try.
I was Blue Dust in Homestead. I'd never been there before, but a friend and I wanted to expand beyond our normal range of watering holes. They didn't have a huge number of things on tap (maybe 20), but they had lots of interesting stuff.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Is Yuengling Bock available in most beer shops there Yinzburgh?
It's just about my favorite $7/six pack beer and was pretty excited to see it at the Kroger today....it appears to be a rarity around here.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

At the beer dist this weekend and noticed straub maibock , anyone try it?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

The North Hills Mad Mex has Victory White Monkey on tap tonight as part of their Victory tap takeover. I really want to try that.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Came home with two bottles of KBS this afternoon. I think one will be opened tonight, and the other one will depend on how much I like the first... :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Soooo sad that I can't make it to Mad Mex tonight. :(
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Victory's seasonal St. Victorius doppelbock. This is an incredibly complex and awesome beer. Easily one of my favorite seasonals already
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:Victory's seasonal St. Victorius doppelbock. This is an incredibly complex and awesome beer. Easily one of my favorite seasonals already
Great beer, I like their st boisterous as well
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Sigwolf wrote:Came home with two bottles of KBS this afternoon. I think one will be opened tonight, and the other one will depend on how much I like the first... :)
Nice. How'd you get it?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Kraftster wrote:The North Hills Mad Mex has Victory White Monkey on tap tonight as part of their Victory tap takeover. I really want to try that.
Went out to mad Mex North hills tonight to try the white monkey. Had a golden monkey before that, So that I could do a true taste comparison. I was very much surprised as to how much the white monkey is really it's own beer. Much of the triple spiciness is gone unfortunately, But the white wine barrel flavor is enjoyable. Talked to the victory guy that was out there for about 10 minutes. Good dude, really knew his stuff. This really is a great week in Pittsburgh.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Any Belgian ale fans, look for Hof Ten Dormaal's Barrel-Aged Project beers. A series of 8 blondes aged in various wine and spirit barrels. Expensive, but unique, and at 12%, still has some bang for the buck. I've only had #1, which was aged in Jenever barrels, but if you like gin, I highly recommend it. Nice, smooth Belgian flavor, with a gin-like, boozy, dry bite to finish. I'd really like to find #6 Port, and #7 Ardbeg Whisky...
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

MWB wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:Came home with two bottles of KBS this afternoon. I think one will be opened tonight, and the other one will depend on how much I like the first... :)
Nice. How'd you get it?
A local place, Lizardville, decided to hold back their allotment and release it today. They opened at 3pm and had two cases, but only sold one per customer, so I made my wife leave work early and meet me their so we could at least get two bottles. :lol: I get the limited release and all, but they really should at least bottle it in 22 oz bombers if it is going to be a one per type of deal... anyway, I haven't had it before, so I hope it's worth it.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

I'm in San Francisco this week. Any local brew spots I should check aht?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Eismann wrote:I'm in San Francisco this week. Any local brew spots I should check aht?
Anchor Steam!! The Rogue location there is also cool
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I picked up Sneak Attack saison....in cans.
Pretty tastey.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

columbia wrote:I picked up Sneak Attack saison....in cans.
Pretty tastey.
It is.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

anyone have Rye of the tiger?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Almost tried it last night at Rivertowne but opted for the Sly Fox Red (which was meh).
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

We were lucky enough to get our hands on some Stone Enjoy by 4/20/13 to share with some friends at our wedding on Saturday. Amazing IPA. I love the Stone Enjoy By line. Such amazing freshness.

Also went to Kona Brewing Company last night. I could live there. The IPA is killer and their special release pale ale was amazing. I wish they would bottle their black sand porter, that was freaking awesome!
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Eismann wrote:I'm in San Francisco this week. Any local brew spots I should check aht?
If you have the time to make the 1 hour drive, go to Santa Rosa and visit Russian River Brewing. The drive is beautiful through the area, and at the end, Pliny The Elder will be waiting nice and chilled. It's a trip where you want to have a non-drinker drive you back.

If you are on the East Bay, Drakes in San Leandro. They do some great in-house stuff with aging in wine and bourbon barrels.

In the immediate area, Anchor Brewing and/or Speakeasy. Speakeasy brews a great Double IPA -- The Double Daddy, with Big Daddy as their standard west coast IPA. Their Prohibition Ale is very good as well.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

Down to my last four Alchemy Hours, sad sad day.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Having a Firestone Double Barrel Ale with seafood dinner at Capurro's in the wharf. Dry fruity and pretty smooth.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

ILikeTurtles wrote:Down to my last four Alchemy Hours, sad sad day.
That is a very sad day, one of my new faves.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Drinking a Green Flash Palate Wrecker. The bottle doesn't say imperial IPA, but yeah, it's an imperial IPA. Lots of malt, lots of alcohol, lots of hops. To be honest, I find most imperial IPAs to be over the top, and this one strays close to the line, but it's still quite good. A very nice beer for when you want a beer with everything turned up to 11.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Palate wrecker is the beer to end the night with. If you drink anything after, it tastes like water.