The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

No one compares to Stan
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Maybe it's because I was a displaced pittsburgher for my teens and twenties, but I just get bored to death with Stan.
If we're talking all time sports talk favorites, Jody McDonald (jodymac)on 610 WIP in the early 90's was the best.
Howard Eskin was entertaining to listen to also, the same way Madden can be entertaining.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

I still miss Bruce Keidan. He was terrific, and not given to Soff extinct civilization apocalypses.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i miss dutch
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

viva la ben wrote:Maybe it's because I was a displaced pittsburgher for my teens and twenties, but I just get bored to death with Stan.
If we're talking all time sports talk favorites, Jody McDonald (jodymac)on 610 WIP in the early 90's was the best.
Howard Eskin was entertaining to listen to also, the same way Madden can be entertaining.
I love listening to Stan. I'm the type of guy who doesn't like any BS when I listen to talk radio (which is why I haven't listened to political talk in the last 4-5 years) and that's why I like him. To be, his style will never be boring.

To each his own.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Speaking of Pittsburgh media turds, Madden will be in town tmw night doing color at the Nailers game. I'm tempted to just stay home and listen rather than go and have to look at him.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Speaking of Pittsburgh media turds, Madden will be in town tmw night doing color at the Nailers game. I'm tempted to just stay home and listen rather than go and have to look at him.
Are you sitting in the press box?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Eismann wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Speaking of Pittsburgh media turds, Madden will be in town tmw night doing color at the Nailers game. I'm tempted to just stay home and listen rather than go and have to look at him.
Are you sitting in the press box?
No.

Are you implying its going to be hard to notice him even in a 5500 seat arena?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Imagine how many lbs. his head weighs alone.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I love Madden. I think he is funny. Also a nice guy to talk to.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

newarenanow wrote:I love Madden. I think he is funny. Also a nice guy to talk to.
I'm torn on Madden. There are times where I think he's funny to listen to (like when he makes fun of Franco or rips the media in this town for kissing the Steelers butts). But when he goes on and on and on and on about Techmo Bowl Todd Haley and how he's trying to make Ben control the game like Mike Tomczak did or how Sid can do no wrong but Geno and his supporters are constantly ridiculed is what grates at me.

But if you look at his whole body of work, he's entertaining and compared to the other people in his timeslot, he's the less of the known evils. If only he wasn't on the X or he was able to convince the X not to play music during his show.

Yeah I heard he's not a jag in real life. I read on here once someome went to the Jason Bonham concert at the Palace in Greensburg and Madden was there. They talked and he was very approachable.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Hmmm, I just googled Thor Tolo just for the hell of it. Turns out he now works in Seattle as a conservative political commentator.

Interestring.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

thor was a moron.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i forgot thor tolo existed
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i forgot thor tolo existed
Yeah. Thanks a lot for reminding me.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:thor was a moron.
So I hear. I never listened to his show. I remember everyone on here saying how crappy he was and just decided to google him to see what he's doing these days.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

newarenanow wrote:I love Madden. I think he is funny. Also a nice guy to talk to.
This....I met him in Greensburg at a led zeppelin tribute show. Nothing but awesome.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Sooper JeanYus backs out of calling the Nailers game, cites lack of promotion. Nothing sells tickets like telling people to stay home and listen to a guy on the radio
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Sooper JeanYus backs out of calling the Nailers game, cites lack of promotion. Nothing sells tickets like telling people to stay home and listen to a guy on the radio
There were a few people there chanting "Madden Sucks"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

hahah I didnt care either way. I was actually torn between going or staying home and listening to him. I'm a guy who didnt miss a Thunderbird/Nailer game for nearly 18 years. Such die hards. My friends and I get free tickets left and rigth these days and sometimes dont even go. I dunno, just cant get that into it anymore. I miss it.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

DudeMan2766 wrote:hahah I didnt care either way. I was actually torn between going or staying home and listening to him. I'm a guy who didnt miss a Thunderbird/Nailer game for nearly 18 years. Such die hards. My friends and I get free tickets left and rigth these days and sometimes dont even go. I dunno, just cant get that into it anymore. I miss it.
Why can't you get into it anymore? ECHL hockey is fun. Before the Johnstown Chiefs moved I was a STH for three years and it was great. Attended so many road trips and in my three years I don't think I ever missed a trip to Wheeling.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Tim Thomasen wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:hahah I didnt care either way. I was actually torn between going or staying home and listening to him. I'm a guy who didnt miss a Thunderbird/Nailer game for nearly 18 years. Such die hards. My friends and I get free tickets left and rigth these days and sometimes dont even go. I dunno, just cant get that into it anymore. I miss it.
Why can't you get into it anymore? ECHL hockey is fun. Before the Johnstown Chiefs moved I was a STH for three years and it was great. Attended so many road trips and in my three years I don't think I ever missed a trip to Wheeling.
Man I loved the Chiefs. I miss making that road trip and I miss those people comming here. I just dont know what it is. And I'd probably be better off discussing it when its not almost 4 am. But I miss the old days. We lived and breathed this team. This league. Now, sometimes I look at the standings and have no clue a team was even in the league. For a town like Wheeling to last 20 years is incredible.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

I was listening to Andrew Filiponi (yeah I know but it was either listen to him, Howard Stern or nothing at all since Madden wasn't on that day) on Friday and of course was defending Wallace. Saying he had made more catches than Fitzgerald and saying the Fitzgerald comment was blown out of proportion. That he never said that but some executive from another team said he said it.

I'm sorry but why was John Siebel fired and the Mark Madden-Jim Rome wannabe gets to keep his job? Siebel wasn't great by any strach of the imagination, but didn't deserve to get fired first. Poni throughout the show keeps one opinion and digs his heels on it and has a voice that makes me want to put my fist through a wall.

Anyways Mueller wasn't on Thursday and Paul Zeise filled in for it. Very enjoyable show. Had a good discussion about Pitt sports (had Chris Peak on as a guest) and the coaching carousel that is the NFL.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Tim Thomasen wrote:I was listening to Andrew Filiponi (yeah I know but it was either listen to him, Howard Stern or nothing at all since Madden wasn't on that day) on Friday and of course was defending Wallace. Saying he had made more catches than Fitzgerald and saying the Fitzgerald comment was blown out of proportion. That he never said that but some executive from another team said he said it.

I'm sorry but why was John Siebel fired and the Mark Madden-Jim Rome wannabe gets to keep his job? Siebel wasn't great by any strach of the imagination, but didn't deserve to get fired first. Poni throughout the show keeps one opinion and digs his heels on it and has a voice that makes me want to put my fist through a wall.

Anyways Mueller wasn't on Thursday and Paul Zeise filled in for it. Very enjoyable show. Had a good discussion about Pitt sports (had Chris Peak on as a guest) and the coaching carousel that is the NFL.
Mueller is on. He's just on from 6-10 this week. Makes the evening much more enjoyable since he's my favorite host on air right now.

And from what i have heard, Siebel was fired due to his high salary. Poni i'm willing to bet isn't paid nearly as much. This isn't about talent since the fan really has none outside of Mueller in my opinion.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Bioshock wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:I was listening to Andrew Filiponi (yeah I know but it was either listen to him, Howard Stern or nothing at all since Madden wasn't on that day) on Friday and of course was defending Wallace. Saying he had made more catches than Fitzgerald and saying the Fitzgerald comment was blown out of proportion. That he never said that but some executive from another team said he said it.

Mueller is on. He's just on from 6-10 this week. Makes the evening much more enjoyable since he's my favorite host on air right now.

And from what i have heard, Siebel was fired due to his high salary. Poni i'm willing to bet isn't paid nearly as much. This isn't about talent since the fan really has none outside of Mueller in my opinion.
He's a great talent on that station. He isn't a tool, angry or annoying, let's the callers talk before giving his opinion and his show isn't agenda based, but just a show where he justs talks about sports and has fun with it.

Funny part about him is even though you can clearly tell he doesn't like hockey that much and puts the NBA ahead of the Pens, but when he does it's interestring and he'll have on Seth Rohrabaugh on as a guest to talk Pens. Since I enjoying reading his blog and twitter feed I like that he does that. This is compared to people who talk hockey reguarly like Madden or Benz who constantly have that tool Rob Rossi on as a guest.

But yeah he's the only personality on that station that's any good IMHO. The morning show are a bunch of tools, You can't understand anything Vinnie says, Cook is a angry bitter man, Starkey and Miller are just meh and I already give you my opinion on Poni. and if were talking Pirates, Zangrilli and Orie are uninterestring and are kool-aid drinkers. They don't give an objective opinion on the team the way Joe Bendel does with the Steelers or Bob Grove does with the Pens.