Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

Why did we waive Hinostroza when we have Johnstone and Gruden who are pure AHL fodder still up?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

KG wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:04 am Why did we waive Hinostroza when we have Johnstone and Gruden who are pure AHL fodder still up?
I think that’s a heck of a good question.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:57 am
KG wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:04 am Why did we waive Hinostroza when we have Johnstone and Gruden who are pure AHL fodder still up?
I think that’s a heck of a good question.
Yeah I'm at a loss too. There are only two reasons I would've sent Vinnie down. Either to make room for Rakell returning - in which case a whole bunch of people need to go down.

Or to sneak him through waivers and reactivate him next game to get a 9-game exemption. This, assuming Rakell returns in the next 9 games (probably does) and Hinostroza would be going down at that point (also likely). But that doesn't make much sense either since Vinnie was the only one put on waivers in the NHL yesterday. And there's only been what, 3 players claimed on waivers during the actual season?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Hinostroza has cleared waivers per Friedman. With Rakell not playing tonight, Hinostroza will likely be in the lineup.
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pens Fans Sweden »

I'm curious, would the Blackhawks be interested in Graves? Their blueline looks very thin and I'm thinking it's time for Dubas to regroup. If he could dump Graves in exchange for like Zaitsev and a pick, I'm pulling the trigger to get out of the Graves contract. Ludvig looks like a keeper and I'm willing to pair him with Letang for the rest of the year and have Joseph and Zaitsev as a third pair. You gain a pick and lose Zaitsev after the season to gain much welcomed cap space.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens Fans Sweden wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:40 am I'm curious, would the Blackhawks be interested in Graves? Their blueline looks very thin and I'm thinking it's time for Dubas to regroup. If he could dump Graves in exchange for like Zaitsev and a pick, I'm pulling the trigger to get out of the Graves contract. Ludvig looks like a keeper and I'm willing to pair him with Letang for the rest of the year and have Joseph and Zaitsev as a third pair. You gain a pick and lose Zaitsev after the season to gain much welcomed cap space.
5 more years at 4.5M with no trade lists in very year of the contract...with how Graves has played...you are likely attaching a first with him to move him right now.

Thin blue line or not, Graves is being outplayed by John Ludvig right now. I don't see any team showing any interest in Graves until he pulls himself out of his poor play. He is more likely a buyout candidate than a trade candidate, and we aren't gonna pay him for 10 years.

We are stuck with him.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Both Rakell and Acciari look to be ready for tomorrow. Both taking line rushes at practice today.

Sully swapped the top 4 d. MP/Letang and Graves/EK
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:10 pm
Pens Fans Sweden wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:40 am I'm curious, would the Blackhawks be interested in Graves? Their blueline looks very thin and I'm thinking it's time for Dubas to regroup. If he could dump Graves in exchange for like Zaitsev and a pick, I'm pulling the trigger to get out of the Graves contract. Ludvig looks like a keeper and I'm willing to pair him with Letang for the rest of the year and have Joseph and Zaitsev as a third pair. You gain a pick and lose Zaitsev after the season to gain much welcomed cap space.
5 more years at 4.5M with no trade lists in very year of the contract...with how Graves has played...you are likely attaching a first with him to move him right now.

Thin blue line or not, Graves is being outplayed by John Ludvig right now. I don't see any team showing any interest in Graves until he pulls himself out of his poor play. He is more likely a buyout candidate than a trade candidate, and we aren't gonna pay him for 10 years.

We are stuck with him.
You're probably right. I'm suprised byt the amount of solid UFA defensemen who requires at least one season with the club before playing up to par. Paul Martin was bad his first season with the Penguins, Zbynek Michalek as well. Both solid players before joining a new system, Graves as well. Maybe we should just be patience.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:39 pm Both Rakell and Acciari look to be ready for tomorrow. Both taking line rushes at practice today.

Sully swapped the top 4 d. MP/Letang and Graves/EK
Graves/Karlsson :shock: :shock: :shock:

Aaaaaaah! :scared:
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I'm surprised at how bad Graves has been based on previous performance and I thought it was a solid signing. I think two things, one it's often hard to pass judgement on D in their first year in a new team, and two, maybe a new coach might be better, as even EK is significantly reduced while the greatest coach of all time teaches him how to play his position properly.
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Antonio wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:24 pm I'm surprised at how bad Graves has been based on previous performance and I thought it was a solid signing. I think two things, one it's often hard to pass judgement on D in their first year in a new team, and two, maybe a new coach might be better, as even EK is significantly reduced while the greatest coach of all time teaches him how to play his position properly.
Plus, Letang is not easy to play with, I can imagine. We need our own Rick Bowness now that Reirden's magic ain't working no more.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens Inside Scoop

@PensInsideScoop
Mike Sullivan, on changes to the D pairs: "Performance matters. At the end of the day, we're trying to find solutions here that give us the best chance to win, and we just simply haven't been satisfied with where we're at."

Performance matters eh Sully? Wonder if he feels the same way about his coaching??
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Pens Fans Sweden wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:11 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:10 pm

We are stuck with him.
You're probably right. I'm suprised byt the amount of solid UFA defensemen who requires at least one season with the club before playing up to par. Paul Martin was bad his first season with the Penguins, Zbynek Michalek as well. Both solid players before joining a new system, Graves as well. Maybe we should just be patience.
Why would they give that guy a NTC? SMH…..well if we do pass him off to another team he will probably flourish! It’s the coaching. FIRE SULLY & STAFF!
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

You don't sell low on guys, as bad as Rakell and Graves have played they have to work through it.

The rebuild should start this season. Guentzel has to be shopped and with how bad goaltending has been this season I would listen if teams have interest in Jarry.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:12 pm You don't sell low on guys, as bad as Rakell and Graves have played they have to work through it.

The rebuild should start this season. Guentzel has to be shopped and with how bad goaltending has been this season I would listen if teams have interest in Jarry.
Especially now that we know the coach isn't going anywhere to see if a new system or voice could rejuvenate this team - If the right partner is there, you absolutely have to look at moving Guentzel. He's the only realistic option with some value. And if I could, I would also try to unload Bryan Rust. Right now, you're not going to get much for a guy like Rakell or Graves (not only because of their contracts but also because of the NMT/NMC)

A few things that are really interesting to consider:

1) This team, as constructed, is not a playoff contender, let alone a Stanley Cup contender. Selling off parts to expedite the rebuild has to be top priority for Dubas at this point.
2) I really enjoy watching EK65 and will always stand by the fact that it was a tremendous trade. But, he's another guy probably in the offseason or trade deadline, you try and unload - pick up some draft capital if you can. It might be easier to do that in the offseason given his contract.
3) What do you do with the Core? Could we soon be at a point where you have to realistically ask Sid, Geno and Letang if they want to finish their careers here? Or do they want to win? If it's the latter, have to believe you could still get a King's ransom for those guys still. And as much as it would suck, I don't think any Pens fan would begrudge them wanting to play for a contender in their twilight years as opposed to sticking around as everything around them gets torn to pieces.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Coffey Break wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:49 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:12 pm You don't sell low on guys, as bad as Rakell and Graves have played they have to work through it.

Especially now that we know the coach isn't going anywhere to see if a new system or voice could rejuvenate this team - If the right partner is there, you absolutely have to look at moving Guentzel. He's the only realistic option with some value. And if I could, I would also try to unload Bryan Rust. Right now, you're not going to get much for a guy like Rakell or Graves (not only because of their contracts but also because of the NMT/NMC)

1) This team, as constructed, is not a playoff contender, let alone a Stanley Cup contender. Selling off parts to expedite the rebuild has to be top priority for Dubas at this point.
2) I really enjoy watching EK65 and will always stand by the fact that it was a tremendous trade. But, he's another guy probably in the offseason or trade deadline, you try and unload - pick up some draft capital if you can. It might be easier to do that in the offseason given his contract.
3) What do you do with the Core? Could we soon be at a point where you have to realistically ask Sid, Geno and Letang if they want to finish their careers here? Or do they want to win? If it's the latter, have to believe you could still get a King's ransom for those guys still. And as much as it would suck, I don't think any Pens fan would begrudge them wanting to play for a contender in their twilight years as opposed to sticking around as everything around them gets torn to pieces.
I loved reading each of your points. If rebuilding is truly on the table, and I would only be definitive about this direction in the new year, Guentzel is the top guy that should be made available. Based on past returns, he's the classic 1st round pick, prospect, and youngish roster player type of return.
Reilly Smith any contending team would likely give more than we did to acquire him.
Eller should net a reasonable return, maybe, hopefully, a 2nd rounder.
Acciari should net at least a 3rd round pick this year or next.
Finally, Nieto for a 7th rounder or a swap of minor league contract just to get his NHL deal off the books.
Finally, promote Puustinen and Poulin to full time duty the rest of the season.
One hockey trade I would look at is POJ to Vancouver for Vasily Podkolzin, or some other minor additions, but that would be the primary pieces.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:06 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:49 pm

I loved reading each of your points. If rebuilding is truly on the table, and I would only be definitive about this direction in the new year, Guentzel is the top guy that should be made available. Based on past returns, he's the classic 1st round pick, prospect, and youngish roster player type of return.
Reilly Smith any contending team would likely give more than we did to acquire him.
Eller should net a reasonable return, maybe, hopefully, a 2nd rounder.
Acciari should net at least a 3rd round pick this year or next.
Finally, Nieto for a 7th rounder or a swap of minor league contract just to get his NHL deal off the books.
Finally, promote Puustinen and Poulin to full time duty the rest of the season.
One hockey trade I would look at is POJ to Vancouver for Vasily Podkolzin, or some other minor additions, but that would be the primary pieces.
Vancouver is already pretty full on LD. I've been told by a friend that lives in BC and follows the Canucks they likely wouldn't have interest in POJ.

Guentzel is a no brainer at this point. If we could get a 1st, top prospect, and a young NHL player, that would be a great move. The team may be able to get more if they can do a sign and trade.

Smith, Acciari, and Eller should all be able to gain a solid 2nd or 3rd round pick, though the Penguins may have to retain some salary on Smith or Acciari.

Nieto probably doesn't have much of a market right now. If someone wants him, send a late pick, a prospect, or send us maybe a slightly more expensive contract back (maybe up to 1.5M) with a better pick.

The other guy I would look at would be Rust. Don't necessarily want to move him, but before being injured, he was playing really well. His value may not get this high again over the next few years.

Maybe some teams would have interest in POJ or Ruhwedel as depth. I'd hang onto Ludvig since he's played well and is cheap into next year.

I'd also be willing to move DOC if someone had some interest. 28 games into this season, he's played up and down the lineup and showing he's closer to a career AHLer than everyday NHL player at this point. He cannot score at the NHL level, even though he does all the other little things right. Those types, unfortunately, are dime a dozen in the NHL.

Let's say the Penguins moved Guentzel, Rust, Acciari and Eller. That's 15-16M off the roster for next season, plus a 3.5M cap increase coming. This team could potentially make some smart, YOUNGER (under 30) PLAYER signings, and still try to compete next year. Try and grab one of Bertuzzi, Reinhart, Teravainen, Nylander, Duclair, Olofsson...change up the dynamic of the team a bit. If they don't improve things, you can trade them away in future years to continue stockpiling picks.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

If we trade Jake and Rust away,that would piss off Sid for sure.. I just dont see them doing it, nor do I want to it.. you guys are talking more about retool than rebuild and if thats the case, we should trade some others guys.. if we wanna do a complete rebuild ,well then you might ship off everyone,including Karlsson, Malkin, Letang...
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pens4Life wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:01 pm If we trade Jake and Rust away,that would piss off Sid for sure.. I just dont see them doing it, nor do I want to it.. you guys are talking more about retool than rebuild and if thats the case, we should trade some others guys.. if we wanna do a complete rebuild ,well then you might ship off everyone,including Karlsson, Malkin, Letang...
I don't really see any retooling that ends up pushing us into playoff relevancy.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Granlund has 17 points in his last 11 games. Somewhere Hextall is smiling.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I used to blame Hextall for most of the Pens woes in recent years. But as I look back Sully's contribution was higher than I was crediting him for. Now it's clear that he was and still a major problem for this team, along with his staff.

At one time, Pittsburgh was known as the City of Champions. Now we are the city of hot garbage
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:55 am
Pens4Life wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:01 pm If we trade Jake and Rust away,that would piss off Sid for sure.. I just dont see them doing it, nor do I want to it.. you guys are talking more about retool than rebuild and if thats the case, we should trade some others guys.. if we wanna do a complete rebuild ,well then you might ship off everyone,including Karlsson, Malkin, Letang...
I don't really see any retooling that ends up pushing us into playoff relevancy.
I agree, without massive change, first starting with coaching staff, I dont see it either.. But among people if we gonna run this team till the end in next 2-3years, I would keep Jake and Rusty.. would prefer to move few other guys first!
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Take the Body Shoot the Puck »

KG wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:43 am Granlund has 17 points in his last 11 games. Somewhere Hextall is smiling.
Not really. He has 3 goals on the year, on pace for 8,with 18 assists. We have a problem scoring and finishing, so a setup guy is not useful to this team, and was never a good fit for what we needed.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Underwhelmed by GMKD. May be too early to judge though.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

pronovost19 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am Underwhelmed by GMKD. May be too early to judge though.
That's funny. In the summer and pre-season, every one loved him. Let's give him some time to figure things out.