GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by BadHands71 »

Eismann wrote:Just realized I picked up the Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel stout by mistake. It's OK, but bbs isn't my thing. I like bourbon and I like stout, just not together.
I'm the same way.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Eismann wrote:Just realized I picked up the Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel stout by mistake. It's OK, but bbs isn't my thing. I like bourbon and I like stout, just not together.
Not sure what you mean by "by mistake", but FWIW, there is only one Dragon's Milk from New Holland. It's always been aged in bourbon barrels, and it's always been a stout. They've recently changed the labels and packaging to clearly indicate this, likely due to the increased popularity of bourbon barrel beers. The bottles label it as "Ale aged in oak barrels", but it was still classified as an American Stout, and the description used to clearly indicate those oak barrels were indeed bourbon barrels. Now they've put that information on the four-pack carriers by calling it Bourbon Barrel Stout, but it's still the same Dragon's Milk.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Sigwolf wrote:
Not sure what you mean by "by mistake", but FWIW, there is only one Dragon's Milk from New Holland. It's always been aged in bourbon barrels, and it's always been a stout. They've recently changed the labels and packaging to clearly indicate this, likely due to the increased popularity of bourbon barrel beers. The bottles label it as "Ale aged in oak barrels", but it was still classified as an American Stout, and the description used to clearly indicate those oak barrels were indeed bourbon barrels. Now they've put that information on the four-pack carriers by calling it Bourbon Barrel Stout, but it's still the same Dragon's Milk.
That's so weird. I swear all the other DM's I've had in the past did not have anywhere near this strong a bourbon flavor. It was almost a boilermaker to me.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Picked up a choose your own six-pack from whole foods.

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout
Bell's Two Hearted
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
Dogfish Head Midas Touch
Victory Golden Monkey
Ommegang Belgian Pale Ale

It's gonna be a tough workday tomorrow.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Growler refill question. In CA, a brewery can only refill a growler if their name is printed on the bottle. Also, all growlers MUST have the breweries name on the bottle -- no blank bottles. So if I bring in an empty growler purchased from Cool Brewing with their name on it to Hops Are Better Brewing, Hops Are Better legally can not refill the empty from Cool Brewing.

The law is the law (why the law is law makes no sense) and most breweries want to sell you their growler (empty $5.00 - $20.00 depending on the brewery), which I get. Profit margin is a profit margin, even on a cheap glass unit.

In the state where you reside, does your state have a law similar to CA?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Nope.

My local beer place has their own branded bottles and you just pay a $1 deposit to encourage you to come back for more.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Like a pie tin, you pay a deposit for the tin, refundable upon return? That's a great idea. Can you use that bottle at another location?

I went to a local favorite Saturday before the game and brought the wrong growler so it couldn't be filled. They did 'loan' me a growler since I am a regular, but wouldn't break the law. I hate the law but live with it.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

In Ohio, probably one of the only positive things I will say about this state... a growler bought anywhere can be filled anywhere. Especially handy since the local grocery store has a rotating four-place tap with various imports. This weeked I got two growlers filled with St. Bernardus Abt 12. This has been my favorite reasonably accessible Belgian beer, and the only time I have been able to enjoy it on draft.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Sigwolf wrote:In Ohio, probably one of the only positive things I will say about this state... a growler bought anywhere can be filled anywhere.
To the best of my knowledge, it's the same in PA. I can only speak for sure for the place that I work but we fill growlers from any brewery (provided they are 64 oz, which 99.99999999% of growlers are). There are also growler specials which is nice. Got one of Victory Headwaters Pale Ale recently, good stuff.
Michael Scott
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Michael Scott »

Anyone seen the Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale yet?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Michael Scott wrote:Anyone seen the Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale yet?
good stuff, picking up a case after work. Also grabbed a case of ST Phin and Matts extraordinary ale, nice change of pace
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i heard good things about the chimay cinq cent belgian triple.

not impress. i'll stick with st bernardus if i want some imported belgian
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I am trying to figure out what sort of beer to get for this weekend to treat myself but also get something appealing enough for some fairly basic taste guests on Sunday. I've been going to bombers and 750 ML bottles for the past several months, I will probably have a very difficult time actually picking out a case of something.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Just get something good for yourself and a case of Natty Light for everyone else.

When I'm faced with a decision like this I generally get 25% of something good I know I like, 25-50% of a solid beer (Sierra Nevada usually works), and 25-50% of swill. Then just let people choose and hope they choose appropriately for their tastes. Harder to do in PA though.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I’ve been keeping an eye on the makers of “The Bräuler,” which is a dishwasher-safe, stainless-steel growler. See http://thezythosproject.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They had a Kickstarter a while back to raise money for an add-on that call the FreshCap, which will contain a CO2 cartridge to keep the beer carbonated. It will be available later this year. I’m sure it will be expensive, but I think the ability to keep a growler of beer from going flat even if it takes me days to finish it would be worth it.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

eddysnake wrote:
good stuff, picking up a case after work. Also grabbed a case of ST Phin and Matts extraordinary ale, nice change of pace
Yep, it's out now. Kicking around grabbing a sixer of it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Kraftster wrote:I am trying to figure out what sort of beer to get for this weekend to treat myself but also get something appealing enough for some fairly basic taste guests on Sunday. I've been going to bombers and 750 ML bottles for the past several months, I will probably have a very difficult time actually picking out a case of something.
Yards brawler is my favorite benign craft beer
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Found a loner bomber of oat, couldn't pass it up last night, got a new pair of sweats and case of conway irish, all set to not do anything today!
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Foothills Sexual Chocolate releasa today. My favorite time of year.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Unsurprising News Alert:

Budweiser Black Crown is not good. ;)
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

It's on tap at Barley's and Hops
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

columbia wrote:Unsurprising News Alert:

Budweiser Black Crown is not good. ;)
Shocking :shock:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

It's nugget nectar season again... love that stuff.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Very fruity (mostly a plum taste), dark, delicate, with a high amount of carbonation (but in a softish way is that makes sense). It says it's a Stout but more like an ale although it does end with a creamy aftertaste.

Best of all, it doesn't have that Sam Adams taste.

4/5 stars
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

cracked a Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter. Friend gave it to me as a birthday gift, said it was "aged" but I couldn't find anything on the bottle aside from a vintage mark. Opened the bottle and all I can smell was chocolate.