Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Post by MRandall25 »

I had no idea Matt Duchene was still on the board. I thought he was picked a long time ago.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Quite happy Duchene was still on the board. Almost started to worry I wasn't going to get a top ten center. He's been on my board since the 2nd round... but I knew there was no chance Suter or Price would have dropped.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

mikey, is there any way you could keep track of rosters in the OP? If you don't want to do it, I can do it in my first post on the first page.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

My Pavelski pick was directly over Chara and Duchene and it was close. I think they're both in a good spot and there's a good case that Duchene should have gone higher. Chara's 2nd place Norris finish last season was entirely on reputation. He's still very much a quality player, but no way a top-10 d-man in the league last year. But he still belongs pretty high. And with a smart, mobile partner, he could eat a ton of minutes (and people)...

If team philosophy wasn't involved, I'd probably have altered my coin flip and would have taken Duchene first, to be honest. Pavelski is a better defensive player. Duchene is a better offensively. And filthy fast.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Avyran wrote:Also, I now REALLY want to move up. So if anyone's unsure of their next pick, lemme know & I'll try to work a trade.
I'm down to..uh, move down. What are you willing to trade? A 5th and a 6th?

EDIT: or did pcm just take your guy?
I'll send a PM.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:mikey, is there any way you could keep track of rosters in the OP? If you don't want to do it, I can do it in my first post on the first page.
i have been keeping track in a google doc. i could send to you for a nominal fee of four easy payments of 32.95
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

I had Duchene ahead of Pavelski. But if you'd taken Duchene, I would have probably taken Pavelski. I think there are other players with Pavelski's defensive acumen, but none who can match Duchene's skill, offensive awareness, and dirty dirty speed.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Gaucho wrote:I wouldn't say the guy I have in mind is super obvious, tbh.
He's still there.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:mikey, is there any way you could keep track of rosters in the OP? If you don't want to do it, I can do it in my first post on the first page.
i have been keeping track in a google doc. i could send to you for a nominal fee of four easy payments of 32.95
I'd recommend change the draft order (first post) in this thread to rosters. And use the picks thread for the draft order....
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Can I do three easy payments and then one really really difficult payment?

/Mitch_Hedberg
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Duchene was the guy that was jumping out at me.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

MRandall25 wrote:I had no idea Matt Duchene was still on the board. I thought he was picked a long time ago.
I thought about him on the way back down, but I wanted to get a dman in the first 4 rounds and even though McDonagh might not be a sexy 4th round pick, I felt like he fit the team's build better than Chara would.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Idoit40fans wrote:Duchene was the guy that was jumping out at me.
Yeah, I knew it based upon your reference to the Mackinnon pick prompting you to realize.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Was going to put this together after a few rounds went by. Might get its own thread, not sure yet. But I better start thinking about it, eh?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

pcm wrote:
I'd recommend change the draft order (first post) in this thread to rosters. And use the picks thread for the draft order....
I think this will probably suffice for now. Maybe when I get home I'll get on that...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Kraftster wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Duchene was the guy that was jumping out at me.
Yeah, I knew it based upon your reference to the Mackinnon pick prompting you to realize.
Ditto. I'd of thought Duchene would go ahead of Mackinnon (since we're only playing for 1 year)... started to get nervous....
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

pcm wrote:I had Duchene ahead of Pavelski. But if you'd taken Duchene, I would have probably taken Pavelski. I think there are other players with Pavelski's defensive acumen, but none who can match Duchene's skill, offensive awareness, and dirty dirty speed.
Rightfully so. I probably had illusions of grandeur with Little Joe scoring 40 again or whatever...if I could do it again, I might have taken Duchene...
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

My lack of defense was the only reason I chose Chara over Duchene. I did not see anyone else out there who had such a commanding shot as Chara did, so I felt I had to take him before even more left. Really thinking I'm going to regret that choice.

But damn, I was excited for a Duchene - Toews - Backes line...
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

i was thikning you could use another center eligible player
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

LOL, I love the ability to mix & match. There's still a lot of really, really good centers out there that are going to make for very strong 2nd-line centers, but few like Duchene who could've also fit in so easily to a wing position.

I think I made the wrong choice. Oh well, I'll roll with it.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

id kiss someone on the mouth if we get to pick again today
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Avyran wrote:LOL, I love the ability to mix & match. There's still a lot of really, really good centers out there that are going to make for very strong 2nd-line centers, but few like Duchene who could've also fit in so easily to a wing position.

I think I made the wrong choice. Oh well, I'll roll with it.
It's not a draft of best player available. We're building teams. It's why I drafted 2 top dmen and a top tier goalie first. Because there are fewer of them.

I think Meow's pick of OEL was brilliant. How many #1 dmen are still out there? How many teams haven't picked one yet? Same goes for goalies. The top tier is gone, but there's one guy still around who clearly stands ahead of the rest of the next for me... I'd say Chara was a good pick in that regard.

Of course I'm only divulging this stratgey because we're moving onto the next stage of the draft...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

pcm wrote:We have ecstaty in inviting to our cathedral of Metallurg, Matt Duchene.
meow wrote:****
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Wow, double bird on that, Leafs...I figured I was a lock to pick Fowler and then explain how awesome he is...I didn't think he would go in the top-50...I didn't think anyone could be as high on Cam Fowler as I am...so, again, ya know, **** off...and et cetera...
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Fowler was likely my next pick as well. Good pick there.