Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by the wicked child »

People who think they're being clever by seemingly charging less than everyone else for an item, then charging an exorbitant amount for shipping such that the cost is ultimately the same. They probably think this helps them get sales, but when I see this, I will never buy from that person.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

the wicked child wrote:People who think they're being clever by seemingly charging less than everyone else for an item, then charging an exorbitant amount for shipping such that the cost is ultimately the same. They probably think this helps them get sales, but when I see this, I will never buy from that person.
Yeah, me too.... if the total cost is similar I buy from the one with cheaper shipping.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PghSkins wrote:
the wicked child wrote:People who think they're being clever by seemingly charging less than everyone else for an item, then charging an exorbitant amount for shipping such that the cost is ultimately the same. They probably think this helps them get sales, but when I see this, I will never buy from that person.
Yeah, me too.... if the total cost is similar I buy from the one with cheaper shipping.
:fist:
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

"Pundant" is not a word. "Pundit" is.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

slappybrown wrote:"Pundant" is not a word. "Pundit" is.
I stand kerrected.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

lol
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

slappybrown wrote:lol
You should tell the people at Pundant.com though :)
Not arguing, I've been making that error for years.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Its one of those words like "nuclear" that gets bastardized in its pronunciation.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i'll nuke-u-lar you right in the face.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Grammar police: "Versus" means "Against" or "as compared to".

"Verse" is part of a song, or a poem. "Vice" is a social ill, or a "Vise" is a tool for holding something steady. None of these means the same as "Versus."
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

lol
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm the bad guy... time to accept it.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

count2infinity wrote:i'll nuke-u-lar you right in the face.
I get an involuntary twitch when people pronounce it like this. Biggest pet peeve word for me. I nearly got whiplash being a 24 fan.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

dagny wrote:
count2infinity wrote:i'll nuke-u-lar you right in the face.
I get an involuntary twitch when people pronounce it like this. Biggest pet peeve word for me. I nearly got whiplash being a 24 fan.
a Dagny sighting... OMG :)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Dagny's first post in five months (and two wins into the Pens season) is about an irrational grammar twitch. lol
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Ran the Lemieux 6.6k on Sunday and noticed something that has been becoming a pet peeve lately with these races.

The last few races that I've been in seem to have a group - not really a group, but randomly spread out individuals big enough to form a group - that hang back at the 11:00 and slower mark or in back of the pack in general and decide to go darting through the runners. I usually stay back at the 10:00 mi marker if it's marked or about the middle of the pack, only because I know I'm not gonna go flying out of the gate. These people look like the type that could knock out their 5k in a sub-21:00 time. If your friends are back there, that's great....go hang out with them after the race. They are back there for a reason. I watched one of these a-holes almost plow through two girls that were running together, one that was running her first race, so I'm sure that left a great impression with her.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

ExPatriatePen wrote:a Dagny sighting... OMG :)
She heard the rumors and came back to see for herself...
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by 60sixx »

Yesterday I rode the bus with a girl in her 30s that sniffed every 5 seconds (yes, I counted). And it wasn't a habit sniff, it was a legit need to wipe your nose sniff. EVERY. FIVE. SECONDS. On a 10 minute bus ride.

And yes, I understand, I wouldn't want her leaking snot all over the bus either, but you're an ADULT. Carry some damn tissues in your purse like everyone else and USE THEM.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Are you talking about ebay? Don't you retain full cost of the shipping as opposed to having a portion taken out of the bid cost? I just go with whichever seems most legit and less expensive overall.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Idoit40fans wrote:
Are you talking about ebay? Don't you retain full cost of the shipping as opposed to having a portion taken out of the bid cost? I just go with whichever seems most legit and less expensive overall.
Mostly talking about third party sellers on Amazon.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

A bird made its nest in the cowling for my kitchen exhaust fan... frikin animals!
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Oh, I don't get anything from amazon that doesn't do amazon prime.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Idoit40fans wrote:Oh, I don't get anything from amazon that doesn't do amazon prime.
Ordinarily I do the same, but sometimes you can get things from the Marketplace that are cheaper than elsewhere. But you have those "clever" jagoffs that think charging you $2 for an item and $8 of shipping when others are offering $8 for the item with $2 for shipping is going to get a sale from me. :slug:
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Jim wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:a Dagny sighting... OMG :)
She heard the rumors and came back to see for herself...

:thumb: :D
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Not to mention the jacked up shipping costs are illegal.

When I sold stuff, I usually jacked the overall price by $10 and threw in free shipping. 9 out of 10 times people will jump on something if the shipping is free.

Until eBay took their share and USPS got their money, that usually covered the $10. If it went over by a few dollars, whatever. At least I sold the item and I wasn't wasting time with relisting.