LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:a fundamentally flawed and decaying system.
the inflated costs of medical and health insurance are a direct result of the very things YOU advocate. And yet here you are demanding that the rest of us pay the bills that you are both directly and indirectly responsible for.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote: No. I would if I had to and have had "bad" jobs but the thinking of Shyster and that mentality is ridiculous.
So we're all clear, here, what doublem considers to be "ridiculous" is the paying of one's own bills.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:Well gee Shyster thanks for the advice. All very helpful and informed thoughts. Next time someone gets sick and can't get insurance becasue they have a pre existing condition I will tell them they aren't being adult enough and maybe the cancer will stop spreading and after they get out of the hospital we can ship them off to work the night shift at Taco Bell to start paying back that debt. How does that sound to you? And all this time I thought we could find another way to pay for all this maybe that model that the rest of the world as been following for some time? Maybe something that didn't turn the sick into indentured servants. Nah, working at Taco Bell and shoveling sidewalks seems more reasonable.
Working to pay your debts? Sounds quite reasonable, actually.

Tell me, when did you become entitled to my labor?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:
Guess I'd rather "worship at the foot of the all-knowing market" than worship at your feet.
Whether you want to admit it or not. If we let the market decide everything you would be worshiping at someones feet that would have a lot more power. For someone that is always on the look out for government abuses you sure seem to ignore private tyranny.
Private tyranny.

Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha!

You really don't understand this, do you?
Last edited by Guinness on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

slappybrown wrote:Image
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

slappybrown wrote:Image
:scared:

First time

(I think) ;)
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cs6687 »

What better time to pass a health care bill than Christmas Eve?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12 ... eedfetcher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote: No. I would if I had to and have had "bad" jobs but the thinking of Shyster and that mentality is ridiculous.
So we're all clear, here, what doublem considers to be "ridiculous" is the paying of one's own bills.
Yes, that's clearly what I mean like these people are paying for a new boat or something. Clearly, buying a house and getting medical treatment are basically on the same level here. My argument has nothing to do with why those bills are so high and why people can get tossed around like cattle but yea let's keep making the same point over and over again.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote:Well gee Shyster thanks for the advice. All very helpful and informed thoughts. Next time someone gets sick and can't get insurance becasue they have a pre existing condition I will tell them they aren't being adult enough and maybe the cancer will stop spreading and after they get out of the hospital we can ship them off to work the night shift at Taco Bell to start paying back that debt. How does that sound to you? And all this time I thought we could find another way to pay for all this maybe that model that the rest of the world as been following for some time? Maybe something that didn't turn the sick into indentured servants. Nah, working at Taco Bell and shoveling sidewalks seems more reasonable.

So, Guinness what do you tell those 1 million or so Americans that had to go into bankruptcy to do? Oh, I know WORK HARDER.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Guinness wrote:

I'm doing some year end tax planning. So far, my rough numbers show 15% of my income for 2009 was given to charitable organizations or directly to families in need. (I've got some amazing Christmas cards from some wonderful children that are worth every single dime). - Now I admit, my 15% is from income and not capital gains - my excuse is that my estate will give the donations from capital gains.

None the less, EVERY PENNY of my contributions went straight to those in need - NOT BUREAUCRATS !!

19% of that income will go to FEDERAL TAXES. 7% to STATE TAXES. That doesn't even count the Social Security or Medicare or Sales Taxes or Property Taxes etc...

I wish I could do more for charities, but, well, TAXES are killing me.

I guess the 290 plus hours I donated to Habitat for Humanity will have to suffice. (not counting the hundreds of PAID hours my staff has donated to local charities and charitable events such as Susan B. Koman).

Please, DoubleM. Don't preach to me about social responsibility - save that for the Washington DC bureaucrats who think they know better than I do how my money should be spent.

My point is that government needs to get out of the way.

"Government isn't the solution to the problem... Government *IS* the problem!!!!" - Ronald Reagan
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote:
Guess I'd rather "worship at the foot of the all-knowing market" than worship at your feet.
Whether you want to admit it or not. If we let the market decide everything you would be worshiping at someones feet that would have a lot more power. For someone that is always on the look out for government abuses you sure seem to ignore private tyranny.
Private tyranny.

Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha!

You really don't understand this, do you?
Hey, sorry, silly me. I haven't figured out the wonders of laissez faire capitalism to solve all of the worlds problems.

[youtube][/youtube]
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Guinness wrote:

I'm doing some year end tax planning. So far, my rough numbers show 15% of my income for 2009 was given to charitable organizations or directly to families in need. (I've got some amazing Christmas cards from some wonderful children that are worth every single dime). - Now I admit, my 15% is from income and not capital gains - my excuse is that my estate will give the donations from capital gains.

None the less, EVERY PENNY of my contributions went straight to those in need - NOT BUREAUCRATS !!

19% of that income will go to FEDERAL TAXES. 7% to STATE TAXES. That doesn't even count the Social Security or Medicare or Sales Taxes or Property Taxes etc...

I wish I could do more for charities, but, well, TAXES are killing me.

I guess the 290 plus hours I donated to Habitat for Humanity will have to suffice. (not counting the hundreds of PAID hours my staff has donated to local charities and charitable events such as Susan B. Koman).

Please, DoubleM. Don't preach to me about social responsibility - save that for the Washington DC bureaucrats who think they know better than I do how my money should be spent.

My point is that government needs to get out of the way.

"Government isn't the solution to the problem... Government *IS* the problem!!!!" - Ronald Reagan
That was never my point. Never did I preach giving money to charity made you a good person or not a good person. The point by the right is that taxes are too much or immoral, and that lower taxes will solve the problem and they people will give more and more to charity. My point was how do you pay for things that we all use(education, roads, health care) without tax dollars and where has all this charity been coming from to pay for the increasing health care costs or the decaying infrastructure when the income % has been dropping for decades. Oh, and Reagan had no problem with spending money just so it went to bombs and missiles. And what about all those tax cuts for the 1% where is all that trickle down? Why haven't wages improved for the middle class?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

doublem wrote:My point was how do you pay for things that we all use(education, roads, health care)
I paid for my education by serving my country (GI bill). When I drive to Pittsburgh from NY I use the PA Turnpike and pay a TOLL! As far as health care, don't get me started. I have paid thousands more in insurance premiums over the last 30 plus years than I care to count, and much of those premiums went to pay the health care costs of those who DIDN'T pay for their own health insurance through higher medical costs.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
doublem wrote:My point was how do you pay for things that we all use(education, roads, health care)
I paid for my education by serving my country (GI bill). When I drive to Pittsburgh from NY I use the PA Turnpike and pay a TOLL! As far as health care, don't get me started. I have paid thousands more in insurance premiums over the last 30 plus years than I care to count, and much of those premiums went to pay the health care costs of those who DIDN'T pay for their own health insurance through higher medical costs.
I meant public education not college and the infrastructure that's falling apart but whatever, I'm sure you are opposed to all the spending that the military does?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:...
Noam Chomsky? :lol:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Yes, that's clearly what I mean like these people are paying for a new boat or something. Clearly, buying a house and getting medical treatment are basically on the same level here. My argument has nothing to do with why those bills are so high and why people can get tossed around like cattle but yea let's keep making the same point over and over again.
I'm sorry, am I somehow misrepresenting your response to Shyster? :roll:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote: So, Guinness what do you tell those 1 million or so Americans that had to go into bankruptcy to do? Oh, I know WORK HARDER.
Again, when did you (or anyone else) become ENTITLED to my labor?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I wasn't talking about a theoretical “someone.” I was talking about you. To be clear, “you” means “doublem.” Nice attempt to deflect into the abstract, though.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Shyster wrote:
I wasn't talking about a theoretical “someone.” I was talking about you. To be clear, “you” means “doublem.” Nice attempt to deflect into the abstract, though.
This is the tactic of someone who's getting their rhetorical *** handed to them. Suddenly, "you" becomes "this ambiguous group" that you may or may not belong to...
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Shyster wrote:
Since I said I already paid for myself, let's talk about the rest of population.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

doublem wrote:
Shyster wrote:
Since I said I already paid for myself, let's talk about the rest of population.
So how did you pay for that ER visit?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote: So, Guinness what do you tell those 1 million or so Americans that had to go into bankruptcy to do? Oh, I know WORK HARDER.
So, really you don't care? I mean that is what you are saying right, becasue if you don't have insurance, can't get insurance, can't pay for it, can't pay off the debt you occur, you die or go into bankruptcy? Once again taking that moral high ground.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:
Guinness wrote:
So, really you don't care? I mean that is what you are saying right, becasue if you don't have insurance, can't get insurance, can't pay for it, can't pay off the debt you occur, you die or go into bankruptcy? Once again taking that moral high ground.
This is fantastically remarkable. Do you have some kind of mental block? Is your concept of "giving" tied as a matter of doctrine to the State? Those who object to theft "don't care"? Really? It's astounding how idiotic that sounds, and yet that is exactly what you're saying.

More over, have you been reading the things I've posted?

More importantly, why won't you answer that question??? Let me restate it: Explain to me in a coherent, logical manner, free of contradiction, how you or anyone else is entitled to my or anyone else's labor?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

doublem wrote:
Guinness wrote:
The word incorrigible comes to mind.