GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Eismann »

Kraftster wrote:La Fin Du Monde is so excellent. The Troegs Scratch #82 (tripel) I had last night (x3) was a decent attempt and had a flavor profile similar to LFDM.
That kind of surprises me, Kraftster because I would think that LFDM would be too bitter for your palate, even though I know it's less bitter than normal tripels and has more spice. I bought one bottle, took one sip, and couldn't go on because it's too powerful for me.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Yeah, I find LFDM to be an uncharacteristic tripel, i.e., if its your first tripel and you love it, you'll probably never find a better tripel.
Their website reports it at 35 IBU. That's a great range, I think. I can probably go up to 60 or so if the beer is well-balanced and not designed to be hop forward.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Christmas party at my family last night I had:
-Dogfish head 60 min (x4)
-Heady Topper
-Switchback Ale
-Sam Adam's Gingerbread Stout

New favorite IPA... Heady Topper from The Alchemist. Wow. Extremely floral and strong citrus flavors. Has that nice bitter bite to it as well. Definitely my new favorite IPA and probably new favorite beer.

Also had some Switchback Ale last night. It's not bad. Nothing overly exciting.

The Sam Adams Gingerbread Stout was good from what I can recall. I had a good bit of beer by that point. From what I recall, it's not nearly as sweet as I was expecting, but it did have that nice gingerbread smell and taste to it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I just got off the phoe with one of my brothers and he was hyping up LFDM.

Weird.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Kaizer wrote:for those who havent had it, Coors Light is incredible, you should definitely try to find some if possible.

;)
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

count2infinity wrote:Christmas party at my family last night I had:
-Dogfish head 60 min (x4)
-Heady Topper
-Switchback Ale
-Sam Adam's Gingerbread Stout

New favorite IPA... Heady Topper from The Alchemist. Wow. Extremely floral and strong citrus flavors. Has that nice bitter bite to it as well. Definitely my new favorite IPA and probably new favorite beer.
:thumb:
Glad you got some. Did you drink it straight from the can?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

no no...poured it into a glass.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Simon Girty is good. Almost has a bit of a wine taste... Really grew on me. The citrus/honey is noticeable... Not really getting the cocoa they say is in it.

4/4 with these guys so far.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

So another day of waking up dehydrated.

What do you folks do to reduce the effects of dehydration? I saw a post by Lt. Dish last night where she downed a Gatorade and took some Excedrin as a 'Pre-emptive strike'.

Anyone else?
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:So another day of waking up dehydrated.

What do you folks do to reduce the effects of dehydration? I saw a post by Lt. Dish last night where she downed a Gatorade and took some Excedrin as a 'Pre-emptive strike'.

Anyone else?
Similar. I'll drink some water or ginger ale before bed. I try to also put some water in the mix while drinking.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

hangover cure: 1 glass of sunny D for vitamin B1, large handful of salted cashews, three advil. boom
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Milk thistle
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

just found a 6 pack of Victory St Boisterous in the back of my basement closet. It's from Spring 2007, will this still be good?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

eddysnake wrote:just found a 6 pack of Victory St Boisterous in the back of my basement closet. It's from Spring 2007, will this still be good?
Only one way to know for sure...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

MWB wrote:
eddysnake wrote:just found a 6 pack of Victory St Boisterous in the back of my basement closet. It's from Spring 2007, will this still be good?
Be careful though. Five plus years is a long time for beer to sit on the shelf. I'd drink them one at a time.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:hangover cure: 1 glass of sunny D for vitamin B1, large handful of salted cashews, three advil. boom
I just wait till I wake up and get taco bell
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Drinking the Midas Touch. Interesting beer. Sweetness from the honey and the grapes are the key players. I could never drink a lot of this, but very interesting for a change of pace.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

the wicked child wrote:Drinking the Midas Touch. Interesting beer. Sweetness from the honey and the grapes are the key players. I could never drink a lot of this, but very interesting for a change of pace.
Agreed. once in a while, I'll pick up a 4 pack and sip on it. It's a nice change, but sooo sweet.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Ok, so this isn't a beer suggestion as much as a cool story. At WalMart yesterday picking up groceries. I got some 6 packs (they don't carry anything fancy). Sam Adams Cherry Wheat for the wifey, Guinness Dark Lager b/c they had it for $4 for the 6 pack so I figured I'd try it, and Bud Light Platinum so I had something easy to drink after a couple of either of those.

Walking out, I had the 6 packs on the bottom of the cart. The WalMart where we live has this really dumb bumpy area before you get to the street... I think it's supposed to stop you from rolling into the street with a runaway cart or warn you if you aren't paying attention, but imagine rolling a cart over the bumpiest road you know condensed into a 4 foot wide by 8 foot long chunk of sidewalk.

Well the bumps made the Sam Adams fall off the cart and one of them broke/exploded spraying beer and glass everywhere. I was pissed but oh well, one beer out of 18, who cares. My wife, with the much better moral conscience, decides to go in and tell someone so they can get the glass out of the way.

The guy that comes out to help, no BS, looks like a dead ringer for Santa (just with a hump on his back... can't make this ish up). He tells us they never should have let us out with the beer on the bottom of the cart and brings out his own cart to clean it up. Then he takes my wife back in and grabs her another pack and tells us to keep the other 5 from the busted pack. Merry Christmas from humpback Santa!

Thanks dude! whoever you are...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Heineken tastes like weed. That is all.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
MWB wrote:
Be careful though. Five plus years is a long time for beer to sit on the shelf. I'd drink them one at a time.
I'd funnel all 6 at one time and let the good times roll.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

BadHands71 wrote:

Anyone else?
Similar. I'll drink some water or ginger ale before bed. I try to also put some water in the mix while drinking.
Powerade/Gatorade or something along those lines (SmartWater?), water, and yes... Excedrine migrane BEFORE the pain. Works fairly well. Basically replacing the stuff you put out (into the toilet).
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

bhaw wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:

Anyone else?
Powerade/Gatorade or something along those lines (SmartWater?), water, and yes... Excedrine migrane BEFORE the pain. Works fairly well. Basically replacing the stuff you put out (into the toilet).
Try some alkali foods with the tablets. Figs, apricots, citrus, whey, many others. They will counteract the acidity that's so huge in beer/wine/liquor.

Also, can't beat water.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Got several bottles of St Bernardus Xmas for Christmas. Mmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmm
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The growler of Aureus is officially open for business. Awwwwww yeah.