Around the League: Transactions

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, but he's no closer to unrestricted free agency, and when you have an owner that isn't afraid to spent. The difference is probably only $1 million or so over the course of 7 years, worse things have happened. I think the Flyers goofballed it with Luca Sbisa a few years ago for instance...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Word on the street is: Ducks are close to re-signing Corey Perry to a deal that mirrors Getzlaf's...

Honestly, I didn't expect that.

EDIT: They have, in fact, re-signed him. Believed to be 8 years and $66 million.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

:shock:

So the Ducks and Pens are the only teams with 2 $8+ million contracts right?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Off the top of my head, I believe so. Though Minnesota has three of $7.5M+ and that doesn't include Mikko Koivu's $6.75M
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

mikey287 wrote:Word on the street is: Ducks are close to re-signing Corey Perry to a deal that mirrors Getzlaf's...

Honestly, I didn't expect that.

EDIT: They have, in fact, re-signed him. Believed to be 8 years and $66 million.
Good for Anaheim. They got their core 2 guys for 8 years.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Rylan wrote::shock:

what were you saying in chat the other night about not seeing many ridiculous contracts going forward?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Rylan wrote::shock:

what were you saying in chat the other night about not seeing many ridiculous contracts going forward?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Bob sez: 8 years, $69 million ($8.625M cap hit).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

This bodes well for the rest of the league :roll:

Can't wait to see some 60 point guy get paid 10 mil.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Best Player in the NHL gets 8.7 million. Just sayin. Makes me a little nervous for Malkin's contract though.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Wonder what he would have gotten if he hit the market...
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

mikey287 wrote:Wonder what he would have gotten if he hit the market...
I'll say 9.5 per. I honestly believe Bobby Ryan will be traded at some point (draft).
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Did he sign it on the bench during the game? :lol:
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

it's as much as crosby's cap hit, so it's an overpay if his deal is to set the ceiling.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Kovy27 wrote:Best Player in the NHL gets 8.7 million. Just sayin. Makes me a little nervous for Malkin's contract though.
Malkin's contract is going to be huge. Easily a cap hit of $10.5 million. Probably more.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Best Player in the NHL gets 8.7 million. Just sayin. Makes me a little nervous for Malkin's contract though.
Malkin's contract is going to be huge. Easily a cap hit of $10.5 million. Probably more.
With the current landscape of contracts having a length cap in the new CBA, it truly shows what a bargain Crosby's deal really is. If the Pens somehow convince Malkin to take 8.7 again... then it's the biggest steal in the history of the Salary Cap Era. Shero should get a lifetime contract for that if he somehow were to pull that off.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Bioshock wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
With the current landscape of contracts having a length cap in the new CBA, it truly shows what a bargain Crosby's deal really is. If the Pens somehow convince Malkin to take 8.7 again... then it's the biggest steal in the history of the Salary Cap Era. Shero should get a lifetime contract for that if he somehow were to pull that off.
It's not so black and white because of endorsements. Sid stands to earn more through the course of his life by building the greatest legacy possible. It benefits him in the long run to take less now to ensure the team can afford to build a consistent contender.

Hopefully Malkin will see it the same way. I don't see the Pens paying him more than Sid. Not significantly more anyway.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Desiato wrote:
Bioshock wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
It's not so black and white because of endorsements. Sid stands to earn more through the course of his life by building the greatest legacy possible. It benefits him in the long run to take less now to ensure the team can afford to build a consistent contender.

Hopefully Malkin will see it the same way. I don't see the Pens paying him more than Sid. Not significantly more anyway.
Malkin is going to have a cap hit that is higher than Crosby and its going to be much higher than Crosby. No more backloading deals and no more deals with "extra" years. People seem to keep ignoring this fact. Sid makes an average of $10.8 million through the first 8 years of his deal. That's his actual value, not $8.7 million, and that's your starting point for Geno. Lowest I could see it going is $10.5 million, though best case scenario is Geno mirroring the first 8 years of Sid's deal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I don't think any team has won the cup with two players exceeding $15 million on the cap. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen anytime until the cap gets up well over $70 something million. Can't wait for that next lockout.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

no one's going to be paid "much higher" than crosby. at worst, malkin will want to be the highest paid player in the league. 9.75 will get it done - even with the new CBA dynamics.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

shmenguin wrote:no one's going to be paid "much higher" than crosby. at worst, malkin will want to be the highest paid player in the league. 9.75 will get it done - even with the new CBA dynamics.
This is beyond delusional. Cap hits prior to the new CBA mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. If Malkin signs a deal that gives him a cap hit of 9.75 million he should immediately canonized. There is no way that its going to happen. Not when Weber averages 11.5 million over the first 8 years of his deal. Parise and Suter 10 million. Kovalchuk 9.33 million. Lecavalier 9.8125 million. Brad Richards' deal is effectively $9.5 million a year for 6 years and Getzlaf is $8.57 million a year for 7 years before taking a reduction to $6 million in year 8. And none of this is even factoring in the ridiculous signing bonuses that were dished out. 68 million for Weber. 28 million for Richards. 25 million for Parise and Suter. 5 million for Getzlaf.

9.75 million for Geno isn't even a viable hometown discount, let alone fair market value.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I guess the owners won't realize how screwed they are until after this CBA renews. Elite players are going to make so much more over their careers.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Idoit40fans wrote:I guess the owners won't realize how screwed they are until after this CBA renews. Elite players are going to make so much more over their careers.
Salaries for elite players are staying in line though, at least for now. It's just not possible anymore to hide the true cap hit. What we're going to see is a trickle down effect that is going to cause your 3rd/4th line guys to take a hit to their salary. The Tyler Kennedy's of the world aren't going to get $2 million a season when you need to allocate that cap space for your star players. What will be interesting is what happens when the cap starts to go back up. Will that additional cap space cause a significant raise for role players or will it be outpaced by the increase in salary for the elite?

I'd say the odds on favorite is the rich getting richer, which means two things: 1.) The new CBA screwed over the vast majority of players while the elite continue to make their money regardless of the constraints placed on compensation and 2.) we already have our major point of contention for the next lockout. Elite players make too much money and max contracts should be less than 20% of the salary cap.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Elite players coming off entry level deals are not going to get paid 10 years 70 million, they are going to get paid 8 years 7 million and then 8 years 7 million. I'll be curious to see what RNH's contract lines him up for. Tavares and Taylor Hall are lined up nicely to get paid huge money way into their 30s after their next contracts. Nothing new, basically they're just not going to have years with a low cap hit.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I guess the owners won't realize how screwed they are until after this CBA renews. Elite players are going to make so much more over their careers.
Salaries for elite players are staying in line though, at least for now. It's just not possible anymore to hide the true cap hit. What we're going to see is a trickle down effect that is going to cause your 3rd/4th line guys to take a hit to their salary. The Tyler Kennedy's of the world aren't going to get $2 million a season when you need to allocate that cap space for your star players. What will be interesting is what happens when the cap starts to go back up. Will that additional cap space cause a significant raise for role players or will it be outpaced by the increase in salary for the elite?

I'd say the odds on favorite is the rich getting richer, which means two things: 1.) The new CBA screwed over the vast majority of players while the elite continue to make their money regardless of the constraints placed on compensation and 2.) we already have our major point of contention for the next lockout. Elite players make too much money and max contracts should be less than 20% of the salary cap.
And, if we're being clear, this is exactly what the NHLPA warned against. They said that putting a max length on contracts would cause a rise in cap hits for top-end players, leaving less of the pie for the depth guys.