Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by thehockeyguru »

If you move out Smith without retaining or taking salary back signing Jake is definitely doable.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Nedeljkovic re-signed!!! 2 years, 2.5M per year, I like it..

I think this means Jarry is traded sooner than later..
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Pens4Life wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:49 pm Nedeljkovic re-signed!!! 2 years, 2.5M per year, I like it..

I think it more likely means they can listen to offers and be able to make a move especially if there’s a different goalie coming back too. Or not if they think Blomqvist is ready or have an eye on a UFA like Ned from last summer.

But I like the move even if Jarry stays. Ned is quality.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Ya just gotta think there's a move coming up with Jarry. Too much money on goaltending at this time.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Pitts wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:06 pm Ya just gotta think there's a move coming up with Jarry. Too much money on goaltending at this time.
Not just that, why block Bloomqvist with a multi year deal to a backup?
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

DelPen wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:51 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:49 pm Nedeljkovic re-signed!!! 2 years, 2.5M per year, I like it..

I think it more likely means they can listen to offers and be able to make a move especially if there’s a different goalie coming back too. Or not if they think Blomqvist is ready or have an eye on a UFA like Ned from last summer.

But I like the move even if Jarry stays. Ned is quality.
Agreed. GMKD has his hands free to try and deal Jarry. Get a serviceable cheap goalie on a short term contract and let Blomqvist fight for an NHL spot.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Going young means suffering through some growing pains. I'd rather them go with Ned and Blomqvist as 50/50 starters.

Keep feeding Blomqvist and see if he grows and elevates or falters. If they do trade Jarry, I could see Dubas going after someone like Campbell if he's bought out.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

mnpensfan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:57 am
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:51 pm Surprised Bettman isn't pitching a fit somewhere. Usually he doesn't want trades going down during the finals, however, may be some leeway now because the finals are bumping up right against the draft and free agency.
If he throws a fit about it it's his own fault.....the schedule for this year's playoffs has been ridiculous. Several 3 day breaks between games. I realize they were trying to make sure they weren't competing with the NBA finals but this is the worst I've ever seen it.
Was the schedule for the finals this way before the teams or because the distance between Miami and Edmonton is about 3000 miles? I'm sure it's the largest distance between two teams in a championship series in any league sport anywhere in the world.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:57 pm New Yohe article says he spoke to someone very close to Guentzel this week, who said Guentzel would love to return to Pittsburgh, there is a chance, but the person thinks it's a small chance. Yohe goes on to say that his upcoming salary and Penguins lack of cap space make it seem very unlikely.

Yohe also says Dubas is trying to clear cap space. Talked about trying to deal Smith at deadline this year, and that LeBrun would be shocked if Smith is still in Pittsburgh this season.

Yohe says as long as Jarry is on the roster, bringing Ned back seems like a no. Yohe also notes he has been calling for the Penguins to trade Jarry.

Yohe says Dubas is happy with his center depth of Crosby, Malkin, Eller and Acciari (effing great :roll: ), but wants more depth on the wings. Says depth beyond Rust/Rakell on RW, and if Smith is dealt, beyond DOC and Bunting on LW is thin.

Yohe talked a bit about the defense, that MP, Letang, EK65 are set in the top 4. Then mentioned team was very high on POJ over the last month of the season.

Yohe says don't be surprised if another coach is brought in to work specifically on the PP.

Finally, says nobody is worried about Crosby contract. Sid wants to be here. He'll get whatever he wants.
I think it's the same chance as Jake being available in August, in which case the price will drop.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:04 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:51 pm Surprised Bettman isn't pitching a fit somewhere. Usually he doesn't want trades going down during the finals, however, may be some leeway now because the finals are bumping up right against the draft and free agency.
If he throws a fit about it it's his own fault.....the schedule for this year's playoffs has been ridiculous. Several 3 day breaks between games. I realize they were trying to make sure they weren't competing with the NBA finals but this is the worst I've ever seen it.
Was the schedule for the finals this way before the teams or because the distance between Miami and Edmonton is about 3000 miles? I'm sure it's the largest distance between two teams in a championship series in any league sport anywhere in the world.
Florida finished their series first, and then at that point, I believe the NHL set the date for Game 1 of the finals, giving enough time if EDM vs DAL went another game. Instead, EDM won the next game to close out the series, and we had to wait almost a full week for the Finals to start.

The extra travel day in between was not set until EDM and FLA were named the final teams...to the best of my knowledge.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:31 pm
Daniel wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:04 pm
Florida finished their series first, and then at that point, I believe the NHL set the date for Game 1 of the finals, giving enough time if EDM vs DAL went another game. Instead, EDM won the next game to close out the series, and we had to wait almost a full week for the Finals to start.

The extra travel day in between was not set until EDM and FLA were named the final teams...to the best of my knowledge.
That makes sense because of the distance. I can't imagine the NHL would want to scramble to get the schedule going minutes after EDM won the series so they almost had to do it like they did. That said, because it's a unique situation having trades during the 3 days off is really inevitable. The spirit of the rule is to not interrupt the finals, but that also implies an every other day/14 day series rather than 21 days (give or take). I hope it goes 7 games and it seems like the ratings are improving as the series goes on and this has to be good for the NHL as a whole. Having a few trades sprinkled in under the circumstances just is what it is.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

So, check this out...imagine if Dubas were able to pull off a Jarry for Chychrun centered trade. Say, Jarry and a prospect (let's say Cruz Lucious) for Chychrun and Anton Forsberg (cap dump for OTT) OTT saves about 2M in this deal.

On defense, Penguins line up:

MP-Letang
Chychrun-Karlsson
Graves/POJ-St.Ivany/Ludvig

Those are your 8 d-men (Ludvig might miss some time to start the season...4-6 months for his wrist, 6 months puts him near end of October)

In goal, you have Ned and Blomqvist, with Forsberg buried in the minors as your 3rd goalie option with NHL experience (formerly your Hellberg, Tokarski, Domingue role).

You trade Smith somewhere, let's say for a 3rd and a RD prospect (we are really thin on RD).
You flip the 3rd or a future 3rd to Islanders for Wahlstrom, and sign him for 1 year, 850K (he's an RFA)
You re-sign POJ for 1 year, 1M
You sign Brandon Duhaime as a UFA, 3 years, 2M AAV

DOC-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Puustinen-Eller-Wahlstrom
Duhaime-Acciari-Puljujarvi
x-Poulin

MP-Letang
Chychrun-EK65
Graves-St.Ivany
x-POJ, Ludvig

Ned
Blomqvist

Nieto starts on LTIR

You have Poulin, Ponomarev, plus maybe Koivunen and maybe Yager in the mix as well for some of those bottom 6 rolls. Your forward group now has 5 guys under 30 (DOC, Duhaime, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, Poulin), defense has 6 guys under 30 ( MP, Chychrun, Graves, St. Ivany, POJ, Ludvig), and a young goalie under 30.

Depth will be a bit of an issue, but that lineup above has 8.7M in cap space. Take on some cap hits at the trade deadline to acquire more picks. They could also add another veteran winger to the 3rd line, and move out one of Poulin or Puustinen in the process.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:53 pm So, check this out...imagine if Dubas were able to pull off a Jarry for Chychrun centered trade. Say, Jarry and a prospect (let's say Cruz Lucious) for Chychrun and Anton Forsberg (cap dump for OTT) OTT saves about 2M in this deal.

MP-Letang
Chychrun-Karlsson

Those are your 8 d-men (Ludvig might miss some time to start the season...4-6 months for his wrist, 6 months puts him near end of October)

In goal, you have Ned and Blomqvist, with Forsberg buried in the minors as your 3rd goalie option with NHL experience (formerly your Hellberg, Tokarski, Domingue role).

You trade Smith somewhere, let's say for a 3rd and a RD prospect (we are really thin on RD).
You flip the 3rd or a future 3rd to Islanders for Wahlstrom, and sign him for 1 year, 850K (he's an RFA)

DOC-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
x-Poulin

MP-Letang
Chychrun-EK65
Graves-St.Ivany
x-POJ, Ludvig

Ned
Blomqvist

Nieto starts on LTIR

You have Poulin, Ponomarev, plus maybe Koivunen and maybe Yager in the mix as well for some of those bottom 6 rolls. Your forward group now has 5 guys under 30 (DOC, Duhaime, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, Poulin), defense has 6 guys under 30 ( MP, Chychrun, Graves, St. Ivany, POJ, Ludvig), and a young goalie under 30.

Depth will be a bit of an issue, but that lineup above has 8.7M in cap space. Take on some cap hits at the trade deadline to acquire more picks. They could also add another veteran winger to the 3rd line, and move out one of Poulin or Puustinen in the process.
Is there any snarl and bite in the lineup? It would be nice to see a Sheriff on the roster for the aging core's protection.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BigMcK wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:24 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:53 pm So, check this out...imagine if Dubas were able to pull off a Jarry for Chychrun centered trade. Say, Jarry and a prospect (let's say Cruz Lucious) for Chychrun and Anton Forsberg (cap dump for OTT) OTT saves about 2M in this deal.

MP-Letang
Chychrun-Karlsson

DOC-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
x-Poulin

MP-Letang
Chychrun-EK65
Graves-St.Ivany
x-POJ, Ludvig

Ned
Blomqvist

Nieto starts on LTIR

Is there any snarl and bite in the lineup? It would be nice to see a Sheriff on the roster for the aging core's protection.
I don't think we have any use for a sheriff. Sullivan will never play them. We need more guys who can play with an edge, or at least go to the net. Out of any of those guys added, Wahlstrom might be the "toughest" guy there who will drop the gloves.

I've given up hope that Dubas will go after someone like DeBrusk in free agency, but, he's not a sheriff either. If they want someone who can handle some fighting duties, Penguins should either try and trade for Tanner Jeannot if he comes cheap, and see if they can get him back to being a 20 goal scorer. Because he hits and he will drop the gloves. Another would be someone like Jeannot's former Nashville teammate, Yakov Trenin. Both of those guys can fight, but also play a decent defensive and PK game.

I don't see Dubas and Sullivan going after either, though.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

From Dejans Friday Insider piece...

- Ned signing has no impact in Jarry. Says he has yet to hear a single word from Dubas or Sullivan that they ha e lost faith in him. Says being pushed, though, is a good thing. Also to note that Ned and Jarry get along well.

- Also, while people are talking about David Quinn and Karlsson...Dejan says Quinn was actually brought in to fix Ryan Graves.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:07 am From Dejans Friday Insider piece...

- Ned signing has no impact in Jarry. Says he has yet to hear a single word from Dubas or Sullivan that they ha e lost faith in him. Says being pushed, though, is a good thing. Also to note that Ned and Jarry get along well.

- Also, while people are talking about David Quinn and Karlsson...Dejan says Quinn was actually brought in to fix Ryan Graves.
"You have ONE job...."
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:50 am
BigMcK wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:24 pm

MP-Letang
Chychrun-Karlsson

DOC-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
x-Poulin

MP-Letang
Chychrun-EK65
Graves-St.Ivany
x-POJ, Ludvig

Ned
Blomqvist

Nieto starts on LTIR

I don't think we have any use for a sheriff. Sullivan will never play them. We need more guys who can play with an edge, or at least go to the net. Out of any of those guys added, Wahlstrom might be the "toughest" guy there who will drop the gloves.

I've given up hope that Dubas will go after someone like DeBrusk in free agency, but, he's not a sheriff either. If they want someone who can handle some fighting duties, Penguins should either try and trade for Tanner Jeannot if he comes cheap, and see if they can get him back to being a 20 goal scorer. Because he hits and he will drop the gloves. Another would be someone like Jeannot's former Nashville teammate, Yakov Trenin. Both of those guys can fight, but also play a decent defensive and PK game.

I don't see Dubas and Sullivan going after either, though.
I guess my desire is to bring in a wide-body plow who will gladly put your azz on the ice after the play is called dead if you mess with the core. Push you out of the fray, nullify you, and protect the franchise. At this point, I agree that current coach and manager can hide behind security, while leaving the bread winners to fend for themselves, or rely on NHL crappy ref's.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

15+ years of this team not protecting its stars, why would they change now?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I would think the Pens would be happy to move on from Jarry but I don’t see many teams being a fit.

Rumors are Ottawa is working on an Ullmark trade. After Ottawa who really needs a goalie? Especially an inconsistent goalie that might not be a significant upgrade to what they already have?

Detroit might have interest. Utah makes some sense. Toronto? Doubtful. Not seeing much else out there especially if Ottawa gets Ullmark.
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

MP-Letang
Chychrun-Karlsson

DOC-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
x-Poulin

MP-Letang
Chychrun-EK65
Graves-St.Ivany
x-POJ, Ludvig

Ned
Blomqvist

Nieto starts on LTIR

Definitely like this scenario. My only issue, is I don't really want to see DOC on our first line. He's just not that guy. Would like to try and use at least a little of that 8.7 remaining for another middle/top 6 winger that can swap around the lineup throughout the year with DOC when one is hot and the other is not. Not sure who that is though.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:23 am I would think the Pens would be happy to move on from Jarry but I don’t see many teams being a fit.

Rumors are Ottawa is working on an Ullmark trade. After Ottawa who really needs a goalie? Especially an inconsistent goalie that might not be a significant upgrade to what they already have?

Detroit might have interest. Utah makes some sense. Toronto? Doubtful. Not seeing much else out there especially if Ottawa gets Ullmark.
https://thehockeynews.com/news/should-t ... ong-goalie

Key word there may be "quality." :)
And rumors continue that Nashville intends on re-signing Saros. Although I'd think a 1st round pick would be very tempting.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/n ... ed-to.html

Not much here. Just speculating that Smith/Laine could be a hockey trade that Waddell is looking for. Pens would have to add I'm sure and I doubt Smith wants to go to CBJ. But who knows...
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:23 am I would think the Pens would be happy to move on from Jarry but I don’t see many teams being a fit.

Colorado, Calgary, and Carolina. None of those teams can be happy with their goaltending situation.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:56 am https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/n ... ed-to.html

Not much here. Just speculating that Smith/Laine could be a hockey trade that Waddell is looking for. Pens would have to add I'm sure and I doubt Smith wants to go to CBJ. But who knows...
Maybe they (Columbus) flip Smith for another asset/pick.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... tan-jarry/

Madden saying it's time to trade Jarry.