Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:04 pm
dark_forces wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:46 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:42 pm
KG wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:23 pm

That's a light return for Markstrom! Conroy is not a very good GM.
And they retained on Markstrom, according to Capfriendly.

But the Flames do have multiple first round picks now and a decent amount of cap space.
You wonder - if they decide to move Jarry - does calgary become a realistic destination?
I was wondering that too, but I think they want to give Dustin Wolf a chance to be the #1. I think Calgary is in the middle of a soft rebuild/retool with all the picks they have the next 3 years.
Jarry is a soft goalie so he'd fit right in
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Trade

To KINGS
Darcy Kuemper
Year 3/5 $5.25M

To CAPS
PL Dubois
Year 2/8 $8.5M

Net Cap Hit $3.25M
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Wow...those are some pretty big trades starting to go down. Wonder if we'll see anything from the Pens soon.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:47 pm Wow...those are some pretty big trades starting to go down. Wonder if we'll see anything from the Pens soon.
Surprised Bettman isn't pitching a fit somewhere. Usually he doesn't want trades going down during the finals, however, may be some leeway now because the finals are bumping up right against the draft and free agency.

I guess if two teams who needed goalies want to bank on 34 year old goalies to save them, that's one way to get things done. Personally, I would have been prioritizing Saros or Gustavsson as my targets. I still think there is a chance that Jarry could be moved, because there are other teams looking at goalies. Ottawa would be one.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Didn't see it earlier, but SJ claimed Barclay Goodrow...
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:54 pm Didn't see it earlier, but SJ claimed Barclay Goodrow...
Interesting. Does he have one year left?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:41 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:54 pm Didn't see it earlier, but SJ claimed Barclay Goodrow...
Interesting. Does he have one year left?
No. This year plus 2 more. Wouldn't surprise me to see SJ trade him at the deadline this year or next year. He's usually known as a good playoff guy. SJ might have a hard time moving him this year because they have no retention spots open. Next year, they are done with retention on Brent Burns, so it might be easier to move him for a pick.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

SJ has to have a handshake deal in place with NYR.

Seems like the GM's were waiting for the season to end...unfortunately we will have hockey until July 26th maybe lol.

Season should start October 1 or 5th next season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Skatingpen wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:31 pm Trade

To KINGS
Darcy Kuemper
Year 3/5 $5.25M

To CAPS
PL Dubois
Year 2/8 $8.5M

Net Cap Hit $3.25M
One less team interested in Jarry. Wonder if we were offered the same deal. Jarry basically has the same deal, just 1 more year.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Seeing that Jarry has the same deal as Kuemper (1 more year for Jarry). Would you have one Jarry for PLD straight up??
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

6 more years of PLD at 8.5? Nah.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I probably would have traded Jarry for PLD straight up. Pens need to take some chances and 6'3 25 year old skilled centers don't grow on trees. Hope that being around Sid would make PLD a better player and be a potential top 2C for the Pens.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:54 pm Seeing that Jarry has the same deal as Kuemper (1 more year for Jarry). Would you have one Jarry for PLD straight up??
I probably would have. I don't like that PLD is now on his 4th team at age 26, and that at one point, he was basically pining to only play for Montreal. On the flip side, I have read more comments that he was saddled with mid-level wingers much of last season, Laferriere most of the time, and it just didn't work. Some say that is why his numbers dropped so much.

If we would have traded for him, he could have played 3C for a year or two until Malkin retires, or, he could have been tried at 2C with Malkin moving to the wing.

But, there was enough risk with his frequent moves, drop in production, and expensive contract that I'm not mad at Dubas for not trying (and who knows, maybe he did).
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

No desire to pay almost 9 million a year for the next 6 years for a reclamation project albeit a young one. We already have enough people connected to the team that have put up 6 straight years of failure. We don't need another.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Antonio wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:48 pm No desire to pay almost 9 million a year for the next 6 years for a reclamation project albeit a young one. We already have enough people connected to the team that have put up 6 straight years of failure. We don't need another.
It’s not $9mill when you net out Jarry’s $5.25 for 4 more years. Getting rid of Jarry’ contract is also a plus .

By the time Jarrys contract would expire Sid and Geno would be gone and the cap would be over $100mill. PLD’s contract wound be fine to handle.

I would have made the deal if I was the Caps. Good for them.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SteelCityFan »

I wouldn't touch PLD with a 10-foot pole. Constant complainer and under performer. There's a reason he's on his fourth team at age 26. I'm surprised anyone would want the malcontent with that albatross of a contract for a 40 point scorer. He's paid to elevate the talent around him, he just can't. Kuemper is a dumpster fire in his own right. Less term and dollars for the Kings. Congrats to them for dumping that ridiculous contract they gave to PLD.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Apparently Goodrow had SJ on his 15 team no trade list but Drury got around that by putting him on waivers.

Guess now players will start negotiating more no movement classes in their contract. See the difference behind a no trade clause and a no movement clause.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Antonio wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:48 pm No desire to pay almost 9 million a year for the next 6 years for a reclamation project albeit a young one. We already have enough people connected to the team that have put up 6 straight years of failure. We don't need another.
This 100%. No more projects.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:28 am
This 100%. No more projects.
Unfortunately, with a barren prospect pool (a little better at the end of this season than at the start), Dubas is likely going to have to look at some reclamation projects if we want to add more young players. And, I wouldn't necessarily call PLD a reclamation. He's been in the NHL for 7 seasons. He has 4 seasons with 20+ goals, and 2 seasons above 60 points. He's overpaid right now, though. LA took the chance that he would build off his last 60+ point season, and he didn't. That seems to be more of a usage/linemate issue from what I have read.

Just remember, Sam Bennett, Brandon Montour, Anthony Duclair, Val Nichushkin, Gustav Forsling....all those guys would be in that "reclamation project" grouping. As mentioned before, sometimes, guys are drafted high and don't meet expectations. The drafting team continues to keep those expectations, while other teams see a player that could still be very useful even if they don't live up to a top 10 overall pedigree or whatever. Also, sometimes, it is purely a coaching or system issue.

His contract is high, but if it was getting Jarry off the books...I would have considered it. The 4th team and his history gives some pause for concern, but at this point, we need younger players in our system.
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by mnpensfan »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:51 pm Surprised Bettman isn't pitching a fit somewhere. Usually he doesn't want trades going down during the finals, however, may be some leeway now because the finals are bumping up right against the draft and free agency.
If he throws a fit about it it's his own fault.....the schedule for this year's playoffs has been ridiculous. Several 3 day breaks between games. I realize they were trying to make sure they weren't competing with the NBA finals but this is the worst I've ever seen it.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

mnpensfan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:57 am
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:51 pm Surprised Bettman isn't pitching a fit somewhere. Usually he doesn't want trades going down during the finals, however, may be some leeway now because the finals are bumping up right against the draft and free agency.
If he throws a fit about it it's his own fault.....the schedule for this year's playoffs has been ridiculous. Several 3 day breaks between games. I realize they were trying to make sure they weren't competing with the NBA finals but this is the worst I've ever seen it.
I 100% agree. I understand that this is the farthest distance ever between 2 NHL teams in the Finals, but the week wait for the finals to start, and extra day of travel each time has been horrible. NHL needs to do something to ensure the playoffs end at least 2 weeks before draft and free agency. The reality though is, with Olympics and World Championship type tournaments coming in February, this is more likely to become the new norm rather than finishing in early June, like they should.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Agent Dan Millstein has been given permission for Canucks Ilya Mikheyev to work out a trade. Long rumored that, if the Canucks want to be in heavy on Guentzel, they'll need to move out Mikheyev. Sounds like the first part of the plan is now in process.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

New Yohe article says he spoke to someone very close to Guentzel this week, who said Guentzel would love to return to Pittsburgh, there is a chance, but the person thinks it's a small chance. Yohe goes on to say that his upcoming salary and Penguins lack of cap space make it seem very unlikely.

Yohe also says Dubas is trying to clear cap space. Talked about trying to deal Smith at deadline this year, and that LeBrun would be shocked if Smith is still in Pittsburgh this season.

Yohe says as long as Jarry is on the roster, bringing Ned back seems like a no. Yohe also notes he has been calling for the Penguins to trade Jarry.

Yohe says Dubas is happy with his center depth of Crosby, Malkin, Eller and Acciari (effing great :roll: ), but wants more depth on the wings. Says depth beyond Rust/Rakell on RW, and if Smith is dealt, beyond DOC and Bunting on LW is thin.

Yohe talked a bit about the defense, that MP, Letang, EK65 are set in the top 4. Then mentioned team was very high on POJ over the last month of the season.

Yohe says don't be surprised if another coach is brought in to work specifically on the PP.

Finally, says nobody is worried about Crosby contract. Sid wants to be here. He'll get whatever he wants.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:57 pm New Yohe article says he spoke to someone very close to Guentzel this week, who said Guentzel would love to return to Pittsburgh, there is a chance, but the person thinks it's a small chance. Yohe goes on to say that his upcoming salary and Penguins lack of cap space make it seem very unlikely.

Yohe also says Dubas is trying to clear cap space. Talked about trying to deal Smith at deadline this year, and that LeBrun would be shocked if Smith is still in Pittsburgh this season.

Yohe says as long as Jarry is on the roster, bringing Ned back seems like a no. Yohe also notes he has been calling for the Penguins to trade Jarry.

Yohe says Dubas is happy with his center depth of Crosby, Malkin, Eller and Acciari (effing great :roll: ), but wants more depth on the wings. Says depth beyond Rust/Rakell on RW, and if Smith is dealt, beyond DOC and Bunting on LW is thin.

Yohe talked a bit about the defense, that MP, Letang, EK65 are set in the top 4. Then mentioned team was very high on POJ over the last month of the season.

Yohe says don't be surprised if another coach is brought in to work specifically on the PP.

Finally, says nobody is worried about Crosby contract. Sid wants to be here. He'll get whatever he wants.
Thanks for sharing. I would hope that Dubas would look to upgrade 3C, especially if we believe the rumors that he tried to move Eller at the deadline but found no takers.

Daily Faceoff just updated their trade list and included Ross Colton since the Avs need cap space. Signed for 3 more years at $4mill. Perfect 3C for the Pens IMO.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:09 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:57 pm New Yohe article says he spoke to someone very close to Guentzel this week, who said Guentzel would love to return to Pittsburgh, there is a chance, but the person thinks it's a small chance. Yohe goes on to say that his upcoming salary and Penguins lack of cap space make it seem very unlikely.

Thanks for sharing. I would hope that Dubas would look to upgrade 3C, especially if we believe the rumors that he tried to move Eller at the deadline but found no takers.

Daily Faceoff just updated their trade list and included Ross Colton since the Avs need cap space. Signed for 3 more years at $4mill. Perfect 3C for the Pens IMO.
I'd rather have Ned for 5.3m than Jarry at this stage.

Be really unfortunate if Ned prices himself out of Pittsburgh because we can't/won't trade Jarry. Ugh.