Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/kings ... -offseason

Calm before the storm. Link to potential buyouts. I would be surprised if LA bought out PLD, I know they would only owe 1/3 of his contract, but still that's admitting a huge loss after only 1 season. Depending on when the cup ends will determine if the Kings would be on the hook for 1/3 or 2/3 of his contract. That's an interesting story line.

Campbell I could see the Pens bringing in on a 1 year cheap prove it deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:15 am https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/kings ... -offseason

Calm before the storm. Link to potential buyouts. I would be surprised if LA bought out PLD, I know they would only owe 1/3 of his contract, but still that's admitting a huge loss after only 1 season. Depending on when the cup ends will determine if the Kings would be on the hook for 1/3 or 2/3 of his contract. That's an interesting story line.

Campbell I could see the Pens bringing in on a 1 year cheap prove it deal.
PLD is a tough one. GM Rob Blake said they would stick with him and help him get back to where he was, but, that's a BIG risk to take when you have a lifeline of 1/3 buyout available ONLY for 6 more days. Of course, paying 14 years of a buyout isn't the greatest thing either.

The Athletic had their own list with a few more players, like Trouba (who was awful in the playoffs) and Connor Sheary.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Mangiapane, CGY, is a skilled LW 28. 1 more year at $5.8mill AAV. Had a down year with 40 points in 75 games. Sounds like the type of year Smith had, but is younger and more expensive.

Wahlstrom, NYI, 24 year old former 11th overall pick in 2018. RW. Had 13 goals a couple years ago. Struggling to contribute. Probably looking for a change of scenery.

Good to see a few names the Pens might have interest in. It's been quiet.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:14 pm

Mangiapane, CGY, is a skilled LW 28. 1 more year at $5.8mill AAV. Had a down year with 40 points in 75 games. Sounds like the type of year Smith had, but is younger and more expensive.

Wahlstrom, NYI, 24 year old former 11th overall pick in 2018. RW. Had 13 goals a couple years ago. Struggling to contribute. Probably looking for a change of scenery.

Wahlstrom sounds a bit like Puustinen, in that his main attribute is supposed to be a deadly shot. He's got some size as well. He was an 11th overall pick in 2018, and put up 94 points for the US National Development team in his draft year. Wahlstrom sounds like a guy who might just need to play in a different system to show the potential he showed to go 11th overall.

Mangiapane really had one exceptional season where he had 35 goals and 55 points. Hasn't cracked 20 goals since, but still a 40 point producer. Again, he's known as a scorer, but can play on the PP and the PK. He's sub-6 foot, and not known to have much in the way physicality.

I would think that, if the Penguins made a move here, it would likely be one or the other....not both. Wahlstrom much more interesting to me in terms of potential upside as well as having some size.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Looking at Daily Faceoff free agent list (with salary predictions from AFP Analytics), I'd be happy to get Stenlund for 2 years, 1.3M AAV and Duhaime for 3 years, 1.8M AAV. Even if I had to bump those each by 200k, still good value bottom 6 signings.

Add in Wahlstrom, who is an RFA and likely wouldn't cost much, somewhere between league minimum to may 1.5M. One thing to know about Wahlstrom's lack of production....in December 2022, against the Penguins, he suffered what is believed to be (but not confirmed) a torn ACL on this hit against Ruhwedel. That effected his play last season, still recovering from that injury.

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I hope KD goes more the trade route and shows some patience this summer. Go after players that teams want to move for cap space. No more spending $20 mill on UFA's
on July 1st like last season.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:00 pm

Wahlstrom sounds a bit like Puustinen, in that his main attribute is supposed to be a deadly shot. He's got some size as well. He was an 11th overall pick in 2018, and put up 94 points for the US National Development team in his draft year. Wahlstrom sounds like a guy who might just need to play in a different system to show the potential he showed to go 11th overall.

Mangiapane really had one exceptional season where he had 35 goals and 55 points. Hasn't cracked 20 goals since, but still a 40 point producer. Again, he's known as a scorer, but can play on the PP and the PK. He's sub-6 foot, and not known to have much in the way physicality.

I would think that, if the Penguins made a move here, it would likely be one or the other....not both. Wahlstrom much more interesting to me in terms of potential upside as well as having some size.
I wonder if it would be worthwhile or realistic to explore dealing Smith away to a third team for a draft pick (say another 3rd round pick) and then dealing that pick + to the rebuilding Flames for one year of Mangiapane.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I hope we do not sign anyone until about 1 week before camp (other than Sid).
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:51 pm I hope we do not sign anyone until about 1 week before camp (other than Sid).
I was gonna respond with some type of smart @ss you crazy type of gif BUT....I don't think that will happen THIS YEAR. I think Dubas likely feels he owes it to Crosby, the core, and Karlsson to take one more best shot at putting something meaningful together, while still mixing in a Puustinen, Poulin, etc.

They don't need to break the bank on UFAs, and Dubas pretty much said that. Get a Wahlstrom or Mangiapane in trade if they feel those are guys that will fit Sully's system well. Get one or two cheaper UFAs like a Stenlund as 4C and Duhaime as an energy winger. They'll still have plenty of money (if they move Smith for nothing but picks) to take on some contracts at the trade deadline for more picks.

25-26 season...I am fully on board with full young kids and replaceable parts, to start gaining high picks and prospects.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Really hope we try to find a real 3C. Preferably a younger one who can bring some depth scoring to the lineup.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Panthers seem to be losing their focus. Trailing 3-0 in the second and looking very average. Oilers are gaining momentum.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Refs are bad,most of this game.. a lot of small things all whistled in favour of Oilers,even this last Holloway / Tkachuk penalty.. Panthers should get PP to maybe tie it 4-4 and they gave Tkachuk penalty as well for diving ,but it was clear hooking penalty!?
Badamski9

Post by Badamski9 »

Wahlstrom can’t skate, no thanks.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badamski9 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:48 pm

Wahlstrom can’t skate, no thanks.
I've not paid attention to him to know, but, are you sure?

Scouting report 1, from his draft year:

Skating
Wahlstrom is a tremendous skater. He has a great first step, and his acceleration is lightning quick. Sometimes he is coasting in the offensive zone, and quickly changes speeds, catching his defender off guard and finding open ice. His agility and edgework is also very good, allowing him to elude defenders both with and without the puck. His balance and lower body strength allow him to win battles on the boards and fight through checks at the junior level, but can improve as he continues to get stronger.

Scouting report 2, Elite prospects:

All-in-all, Oliver Wahlstrom is an instinct-driven hockey player gifted with the size, skating, skill, and smarts that coaches yearn for.

Draft year article:

He’s also a great skater who is a load to handle at top speed. In my mind, Wahlstrom is the most natural goal scorer available in this draft with the exception of Andrei Svechnikov and Filip Zadina.

Draft year article, The Athletic:

He can skate fine, although I think sometimes he plays slower than he should, but he can get around the ice without issue and push defenders back off zone entries.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Obviously, it's much easier to put together a highlight reel of what a player does well than the mistakes he has made, but, there's a lot I like in this video on Wahlstrom. He's got a shot like Puustinen, but, it seems he has a little more confidence in using his shot and just letting it rip. He's not afraid to throw the body or drop the gloves when challenged.

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sounds like Markstrom is getting traded to the Devils. Another team in the Metro getting better. Going to be real tough to get in the playoffs next season.

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

That's a light return for Markstrom! Conroy is not a very good GM.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:23 pm

I haven't made up my mind yet on the return. Markstrom is a good goalie, but he's also 34 years old. You never know when that decline in play is going to start.

Bahl was once the Devils top prospect on defense. While Calgary didn't get 10th overall in this year's draft, next year is a much deeper draft. Picking early 20s next year is probably similar to picking 8-12 this year.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Calgary retaining 31.25% too...
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

And they retained on Markstrom, according to Capfriendly.

But the Flames do have multiple first round picks now and a decent amount of cap space.
Last edited by Pruezy11881 on Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:40 pm Calgary retaining 31.25% too...
Yeah, that just swung this heavily in NJ favor. 2M retained and the Devils pick is top 10 protected.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Some more info on the Capitals purchasing CapFriendly.

I listened to a piece of a Seravalli podcast with Capitals GM. One of the topics they touched on was the CapFriendly purchase. MacLellen said they have their own tool, but they also did utilize CF as well. Said there were some internal conversations last year about, what would they do if CapFriendly went dark, where would they have holes in their process. They started talking to the CapFriendly guys a bit about the design, etc, and how they could incorporate some things into their process and own tool. The longer discussions occurred, the more they realized that the better idea was just to purchase CapFriendly and gain the knowledge from the owners of the site.

As was pointed out by Seravalli, there are likely thousands of people out there that could have done the website design like that, but, there's probably not many that could have done the design AND had the hockey knowledge that the CF guys have. That was huge and great to get those resources in house. Then Seravalli through out a "much to my and a lot of fans displeasure."
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:42 pm

But the Flames do have multiple first round picks now and a decent amount of cap space.
You wonder - if they decide to move Jarry - does calgary become a realistic destination?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:46 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:42 pm

You wonder - if they decide to move Jarry - does calgary become a realistic destination?
I was wondering that too, but I think they want to give Dustin Wolf a chance to be the #1. I think Calgary is in the middle of a soft rebuild/retool with all the picks they have the next 3 years.