Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:20 am Edmonton is experiencing the "you gotta lose one in order to win one" scenario. If they learn from this loss, they could come back stronger next year. Just like Florida did. Just like the young Pens team from '08 did.

And the thing I see with McDavid right now is he's trying to do it all himself. He isn't using his team. I think he has some things to learn from this as well.
Edmonton needs some reworking on defense. Bouchard and Nurse are getting crushed by Florida. Bouchard, you kind of have to live with because he is providing enough offense from the backend (in fact, he's the leading point producer from the defense in the playoffs by quite a bit). But Nurse is a -14 for the entire playoffs, which is worst for all playoff defenseman. Only d-man with double digit minus, although Ceci and Desharnais are right on his heels as 2nd and 3rd worst +/-. 5 more years of Nurse on defense isn't going to hep them.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:46 am
stonewizard51 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:47 am The Oilers look lost and disjointed. It's not impossible for them to win 4 but highly unlikely. Fla has 4 to win 1. Oilers can't lose one. Not the best of odds.
Florida has really built a perfect mix of size, speed, physicality, offense and defense. Unfortunately though, they are going to lose at least one major piece this offseason, as it's next to impossible for them to keep Reinhart, Montour, and Lundell. Seems most likely that, even though he wants to stay, Reinhart would be the piece that leaves.

I'm not sure Edmonton is even going to be able to win one.
Especially if Connor McWherevid and Leon Drynogoals don't show up.
Yep, exactly
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pens4Life wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:49 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:46 am
stonewizard51 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:47 am The Oilers look lost and disjointed. It's not impossible for them to win 4 but highly unlikely. Fla has 4 to win 1. Oilers can't lose one. Not the best of odds.
Florida has really built a perfect mix of size, speed, physicality, offense and defense. Unfortunately though, they are going to lose at least one major piece this offseason, as it's next to impossible for them to keep Reinhart, Montour, and Lundell. Seems most likely that, even though he wants to stay, Reinhart would be the piece that leaves.

I'm not sure Edmonton is even going to be able to win one.
Especially if Connor McWherevid and Leon Drynogoals don't show up.
Yep, exactly
Oilers have a fantastic team for the regular season and a really good team for the playoffs. Panthers have a really good team for the regular season and a fantastic team for the playoffs.

Sweep incoming.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:52 am
thehockeyguru wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:49 am
KG wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:42 am Since it doesn't seem like the Pens will be going big-game fishing on July 1, here is an article of potential "value" UFA's.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/2024- ... um=twitter

Duclair would be a solid get. He can play anywhere in the top 9 and add depth scoring and speed.
Pens need a 3C I would concentrate there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Zucker returns, he's good on the forecheck plays a fiesty game and clicked with Malkin. He shouldn't cost a lot and won't require a lot of term
I would be shocked if the Penguins added a 32 year old winger to their forward group after Dubas has been publicly on record banging the youth drum. Duclair at least is on the right side of 30. I could potentially see him. Kotkaniemi was mentioned...the only way I'd take on that contract is if Graves was going the other way, and honestly, a Kotkaniemi for Graves swap seems like maybe the only way we'd be able to dump Graves this offseason.

Build me a 3rd line with some physicality, scoring, and defense in mind and/or build me a 4th line with some physical energy guys and good defense.

Or we could just try and take 10 odds and ends and hope we can mold a bottom 6 out of them like we have for the last few seasons, since it has worked so very well.
I get that but again you can't just plug in young players for the sake of doing it. Zucker shouldn't require a lot of term and he's a half year younger than Smith.

I get the intrigue with a player like Laine but to acquire him you are going to have to get rid of futures which goes against Dubas saying he wants to stock pile picks.

If Dubas traded Smith and Acciari then brought in a 3C, Zucker, DuClair and Lomberg it would be a very successful off-season. You're adding depth without giving up assets.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Zucker doesn't check the right boxes for me. Too old, trending downward, wasn't healthy when he was here.

Probably money best spent elsewhere.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:29 am
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:52 am
thehockeyguru wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:49 am
KG wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:42 am Since it doesn't seem like the Pens will be going big-game fishing on July 1, here is an article of potential "value" UFA's.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/2024- ... um=twitter

Duclair would be a solid get. He can play anywhere in the top 9 and add depth scoring and speed.
Pens need a 3C I would concentrate there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Zucker returns, he's good on the forecheck plays a fiesty game and clicked with Malkin. He shouldn't cost a lot and won't require a lot of term
I would be shocked if the Penguins added a 32 year old winger to their forward group after Dubas has been publicly on record banging the youth drum. Duclair at least is on the right side of 30. I could potentially see him. Kotkaniemi was mentioned...the only way I'd take on that contract is if Graves was going the other way, and honestly, a Kotkaniemi for Graves swap seems like maybe the only way we'd be able to dump Graves this offseason.

Build me a 3rd line with some physicality, scoring, and defense in mind and/or build me a 4th line with some physical energy guys and good defense.

Or we could just try and take 10 odds and ends and hope we can mold a bottom 6 out of them like we have for the last few seasons, since it has worked so very well.
I get that but again you can't just plug in young players for the sake of doing it. Zucker shouldn't require a lot of term and he's a half year younger than Smith.

I get the intrigue with a player like Laine but to acquire him you are going to have to get rid of futures which goes against Dubas saying he wants to stock pile picks.

If Dubas traded Smith and Acciari then brought in a 3C, Zucker, DuClair and Lomberg it would be a very successful off-season. You're adding depth without giving up assets.
I think adding Zucker and Duclair fill out the team. I'm not sure they help this team build an identity in their bottom 6, or push them over the edge in terms of finally getting in the playoffs this year, but, running with that concept, here's what I came up with.

Trade Smith away for a mid to late 2nd round pick (I chose Utah for the heck of it)
Trade Acciari away for a 2025 and 2026 4th round pick (I chose Chicago for the heck of it)

Re-sign POJ 2 years, 1M AAV
Sign Zucker 3 years, 3.5M AAV
Sign Duclair 4 years, 4.25M AAV
Sign Duhaime 3 years, 1.8M AAV
Sign Stenlund 3 years, 1.5M AAV
Sign Nedejkovic 2 years, 2.75M AAV

DOC-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Eller-Duclair
Duhaime-Stenlund-Puljujarvi
x-Poulin, Puustinen

MP-Letang
Graves-Karlsson
POJ-St.Ivany
x-Ludvig

Jarry
Ned

That 23 man roster still has 4M in cap space remaining. Youth is ON the roster, just not necessarily in the lineup. The one thing I like about adding Zucker and Duclair is, the team now has a lot of top 9 wing depth. None of those guys are lights out top 6 wingers, but they are all solid top 9 wingers that can play on the top 2 lines if there are injuries.

I like Duhaime a bit more than Lomberg. A little more size and seems to have a little more offensive upside. Kevin Stenlund has greatly impressed me during these playoffs. He has size and doesn't overuse it, he's a righty, and he's above average on faceoffs. Stenlund's play in the playoffs is kind of the type of play I wanted to see from Noel Acciari. Okposo-Stenlund-Lorentz has kind of dominated possession a lot when they've been on the ice.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

Two things are holding this team back: Jarry and Sullivan. The former we could find solutions for and maybe Blomqvist is one. But the latter still being here is unforgivable. Really doesn’t matter what chess pieces we replace in the bottom six or what players we can try to improve our top six scoring and team finishing until the latter is replaced. Even if he is cut off from personnel decisions, does anyone trust how he will play these new players?
Last edited by Ericf on Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Ericf wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:42 am Two things are holding this team back: Jarry and Sullivan. The former we could find solutions for and maybe Blomqvist is one. But the latter still being here is unforgivable. Really doesn’t matter what chess pieces we replace in the bottom six or what players we can try to improve our top six scoring and team finishing until the latter is replaced. Even if he cut off from personnel decisions, does anyone trust how he will play these new players?
👍👍👍. Especially Sullivan
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:42 am Two things are holding this team back: Jarry and Sullivan. The former we could find solutions for and maybe Blomqvist is one. But the latter still being here is unforgivable. Really doesn’t matter what chess pieces we replace in the bottom six or what players we can try to improve our top six scoring and team finishing until the latter is replaced. Even if he cut off from personnel decisions, does anyone trust how he will play these new players?
The thing that I find downright funny still are the things that made those back to back Cup teams so successful, that have not been on this team's roster for several years.

--In 2015-2016, Bryan Rust played 41 games, Sheary played 44 games, Kuhnhackl played 42, Scott Wilson played 24 games. That was their youth. The following year, they added Guentzel to the lineup. This team hasn't had that level of youth infusion since then.

--They Kunitz and Hornqvist on their roster. They haven't had that level of skilled, semi-physical, net front guy since then.

--They played a speed game with guys like Kessel, Hagelin, Kunitz, Duper, Rust. As those guys got older and moved on, they never really replaced them with the same level of speed. They just thought their own guys were still fast enough while the league got younger and faster.

--They haven't got the goaltending they got from Fleury and Murray.

Those are the 4 key things that this team is missing from what made Sullivan successful early in his tenure. Why this team continues to ignore that and think they will be successful is beyond me.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

This team was always at its best when it had depth scoring. With Geno now on the decline we need more depth scoring badly. I think we should load up 3 offensive lines and use a kid 4th line.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:00 pm
The thing that I find downright funny still are the things that made those back to back Cup teams so successful, that have not been on this team's roster for several years.

--In 2015-2016, Bryan Rust played 41 games, Sheary played 44 games, Kuhnhackl played 42, Scott Wilson played 24 games. That was their youth. The following year, they added Guentzel to the lineup. This team hasn't had that level of youth infusion since then.

--They Kunitz and Hornqvist on their roster. They haven't had that level of skilled, semi-physical, net front guy since then.

--They played a speed game with guys like Kessel, Hagelin, Kunitz, Duper, Rust. As those guys got older and moved on, they never really replaced them with the same level of speed. They just thought their own guys were still fast enough while the league got younger and faster.

--They haven't got the goaltending they got from Fleury and Murray.

Those are the 4 key things that this team is missing from what made Sullivan successful early in his tenure. Why this team continues to ignore that and think they will be successful is beyond me.
Yeah, he advocated two defensive lines in the bottom six and that was a total failure, yet he didn’t pay for it. It’s like he has no idea how to coach if he doesn’t have the players to fit his one model. Mark of a good coach is finding other effective ways to play with the players you have
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:27 am I think adding Zucker and Duclair fill out the team. I'm not sure they help this team build an identity in their bottom 6, or push them over the edge in terms of finally getting in the playoffs this year, but, running with that concept, here's what I came up with.

Trade Smith away for a mid to late 2nd round pick (I chose Utah for the heck of it)
Trade Acciari away for a 2025 and 2026 4th round pick (I chose Chicago for the heck of it)

Re-sign POJ 2 years, 1M AAV
Sign Zucker 3 years, 3.5M AAV
Sign Duclair 4 years, 4.25M AAV
Sign Duhaime 3 years, 1.8M AAV
Sign Stenlund 3 years, 1.5M AAV
Sign Nedejkovic 2 years, 2.75M AAV

DOC-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Eller-Duclair
Duhaime-Stenlund-Puljujarvi
x-Poulin, Puustinen

MP-Letang
Graves-Karlsson
POJ-St.Ivany
x-Ludvig

Jarry
Ned

That 23 man roster still has 4M in cap space remaining. Youth is ON the roster, just not necessarily in the lineup. The one thing I like about adding Zucker and Duclair is, the team now has a lot of top 9 wing depth. None of those guys are lights out top 6 wingers, but they are all solid top 9 wingers that can play on the top 2 lines if there are injuries.

I like Duhaime a bit more than Lomberg. A little more size and seems to have a little more offensive upside. Kevin Stenlund has greatly impressed me during these playoffs. He has size and doesn't overuse it, he's a righty, and he's above average on faceoffs. Stenlund's play in the playoffs is kind of the type of play I wanted to see from Noel Acciari. Okposo-Stenlund-Lorentz has kind of dominated possession a lot when they've been on the ice.
The best trade chip we have is MP. I would definitely move him for futures and look to add his replacement in free agency. You move him even with the additions you outlined the cap space is there to find his replacement. Moving Pettersson is good asset management
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

KG wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:48 pm This team was always at its best when it had depth scoring. With Geno now on the decline we need more depth scoring badly. I think we should load up 3 offensive lines and use a kid 4th line.
This line was thrown out before the Pens won the cup in 2016 and it's stuck with me ever since... It could have been a thought before then, but...

The team with the best 3rd line is the team most likely to win the Cup. You make it to the finals and the top 2 lines are usually going to cancel each other out.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Each time I read through well thought out comments on team construction, it always comes back to "no matter who is on the roster, Sullivan is not going to use the player's strength to success".

It's almost like, "we can build a house that can survive a nuclear war, but because it's not built on solid ground, it's going to fail".

Just how I see things right now.
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

Good lord these ABC announcers are horrible! You’ve got the premier showcase for hockey, and you employ beavis and butthead.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:31 pm Good lord these ABC announcers are horrible! You’ve got the premier showcase for hockey, and you employ beavis and butthead.
True dat!

Wait till one of these morons end up running the NHL. 😳

My money’s on Subban. 🤪
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

I haven’t watched Edmonton’s path to the Final, but as someone mentioned earlier, the Oilers defense is pretty bad. Nurse is absolutely dreadful. My wife asked, and it’s a legitimate question, how did they get here?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Blues are apparently shopping Saad. 2 years left on his contract at $4.5mill AAV. Wonder if we will have interest. Pittsburgh native could help the top 6. Maybe a Smith/Saad type of swap? Blues are also looking to ship out one of their excess D men as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:09 pm I haven’t watched Edmonton’s path to the Final, but as someone mentioned earlier, the Oilers defense is pretty bad. Nurse is absolutely dreadful. My wife asked, and it’s a legitimate question, how did they get here?
By having a killer power play and just outscoring most teams. They've got the top 3 scores in the NHL playoffs in McDavid, Bouchard (d-man) and Draisaitl, and those 3 haven't done much in this series.

Routing Florida tonight, but I don't see any way Edmonton can win 4 games in this series.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:53 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:09 pm I haven’t watched Edmonton’s path to the Final, but as someone mentioned earlier, the Oilers defense is pretty bad. Nurse is absolutely dreadful. My wife asked, and it’s a legitimate question, how did they get here?
By having a killer power play and just outscoring most teams. They've got the top 3 scores in the NHL playoffs in McDavid, Bouchard (d-man) and Draisaitl, and those 3 haven't done much in this series.

Routing Florida tonight, but I don't see any way Edmonton can win 4 games in this series.
Thanks. Despite tonight’s result, I don’t think it goes past 5.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Wyopen wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:54 am
👍👍👍. Especially Sullivan
It starts with Sullivan! We need to fire him first and foremost! We cannot begin to improve as long as he is part of this team!
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:57 pm

Maybe FLPensFan can post what he is seeing as a price for a ticket, and hopefully if he is fortunate enough to purchase a ticket, he chronicles through pictures.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BigMcK wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:15 am

Maybe FLPensFan can post what he is seeing as a price for a ticket, and hopefully if he is fortunate enough to purchase a ticket, he chronicles through pictures.
I'd love to, but, I went to Game 5 against Tampa, series closeout. Went on a trip to Boston for my 25th anniversary, and that included tickets to Game 4 in Boston. Went to Game 2 of the Cup finals...3 tickets, last row of lower bowl, $2500 total. I'm tapped out for game tickets. Also have a new AC being installed in my home on Monday...another 8 grand there.

Right now, Game 5 prices....I'm not seeing a ticket ANYWHERE in the building for under $1000. Game 2, upper level you could get for $350-400, lower level was $850-1000 per ticket. I see ONE set of tickets for lower level at under $2000 a ticket.

Not happening for me unless someone gifts me a ticket. Maybe I can get lucky and get the Panthers owner to give me a ticket, since I tweeted at him after Game 2 I was 3-0 in the playoffs for the Panthers and he needed to sneak me on the team plane to Edmonton, and he actually liked my Tweet. LOL
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:34 am
BigMcK wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:15 am

I'd love to, but, I went to Game 5 against Tampa, series closeout. Went on a trip to Boston for my 25th anniversary, and that included tickets to Game 4 in Boston. Went to Game 2 of the Cup finals...3 tickets, last row of lower bowl, $2500 total. I'm tapped out for game tickets. Also have a new AC being installed in my home on Monday...another 8 grand there.

Right now, Game 5 prices....I'm not seeing a ticket ANYWHERE in the building for under $1000. Game 2, upper level you could get for $350-400, lower level was $850-1000 per ticket. I see ONE set of tickets for lower level at under $2000 a ticket.

Not happening for me unless someone gifts me a ticket. Maybe I can get lucky and get the Panthers owner to give me a ticket, since I tweeted at him after Game 2 I was 3-0 in the playoffs for the Panthers and he needed to sneak me on the team plane to Edmonton, and he actually liked my Tweet. LOL
Obviously you need to bump up your cred to the Panthers owner and share this hockey board with him. Once he sees how active, passionate, and your ability to build the perfect roster, I am sure you will score some tickets and maybe a job within the organization. 👍
drewcpappas

Post by drewcpappas »

Pens will be playing an exhibition game September 29 vs Ottawa part of the NHL Kraft Hockeyville. The game will be played in Elliott Lake, Ontario in case anyone is in the neighborhood.