LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by SoupOrSam »

I'm still in great denial that just anyone can be handed a Nobel Peace Prize.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/ ... e_gap.html
Perhaps the greatest measure of Obama's declining support is that just 50% of voters now say they prefer having him as President to George W. Bush, with 44% saying they'd rather have his predecessor. Given the horrendous approval ratings Bush showed during his final term that's somewhat of a surprise and an indication that voters are increasingly placing the blame on Obama for the country's difficulties instead of giving him space because of the tough situation he inherited. The closeness in the Obama/Bush numbers also has implications for the 2010 elections. Using the Bush card may not be particularly effective for Democrats anymore, which is good news generally for Republicans and especially ones like Rob Portman who are running for office and have close ties to the former President.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cs6687 »

I've been saying for years that the best way to silence the liberals is to give them enough rope to hang themselves. Looks like that's what's happening and hopefully we'll see the proper changes next November.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

shafnutz05 wrote:It seems to be a lot of "I don't have the time for this crap" coming from the White House. Come on....you don't have time to have lunch with the king of Norway, after you receive a prize you didn't deserve in the slightest?
I'm surprised Obama passed up yet another opportunity to bow and scrape before foreign royalty.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

cs6687 wrote:I've been saying for years that the best way to silence the liberals is to give them enough rope to hang themselves. Looks like that's what's happening and hopefully we'll see the proper changes next November.
I've been saying for years that the best way to silence the liberals conservatives is to give them enough rope to hang themselves. Looks like that's what's happening and hopefully we'll see the proper changes next November.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cs6687 »

Typical liberal response: It's all Bush's fault.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

cs6687 wrote:Typical liberal response: It's all Bush's fault.
What on Earth are you talking about? Who blamed Bush for anything? My post conveys the notion that your argument about "liberals" applies with equal force to "conservatives" (see, e.g., the 2006 mid term elections), and that the economy's continued flagging under the Obama adminstration is a continuation of what we saw in the second term of the Bush administration. But by all means, climb up on that cross, you appear comfy there.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

slappy, I think what he was saying (I think) was that the Democrats are continuing to try and defend their horrible shortcomings with "well we are still cleaning up after Bush". Whenever Obama was campaigning, he was promising dozens of "changes". When the policies that HE advocated (and nobody else) failed miserably, like the stimulus, cash for clunkers, etc, he went back to the sorry old excuse "well I didn't cause this mess". It's almost a year into his term, and he is still ducking behind the bogeyman of Dubya to defend his own failing policies.

Believe me, I am making no excuses for Republicans, OR President Bush. I liked Bush's first term, and hated his second. He should have adopted the surge early in Iraq (like back in 2004) and got the F out of there. What I am saying now, is that I can understand why people are wishing they could get Bush back. Because the change that Obama promised is basically translated into a massively more powerful government bureaucracy, skyrocketing taxes, almost authoritarian new regulatory powers, the government takeover of the healthcare system, the practical elimination of Medicare (which they are now hedging on), and an administration that continues to push cap and trade even as it is being debunked. Again, making no excuses for the Republicans, but Obama needs to man the F up and start taking the country on his shoulders. His immature and catty personality is coming through every time he pisses and moans about the big bad Bush.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

shafnutz05 wrote:slappy, I think what he was saying (I think) was that the Democrats are continuing to try and defend their horrible shortcomings with "well we are still cleaning up after Bush". Whenever Obama was campaigning, he was promising dozens of "changes". When the policies that HE advocated (and nobody else) failed miserably, like the stimulus, cash for clunkers, etc, he went back to the sorry old excuse "well I didn't cause this mess". It's almost a year into his term, and he is still ducking behind the bogeyman of Dubya to defend his own failing policies.

Believe me, I am making no excuses for Republicans, OR President Bush. I liked Bush's first term, and hated his second. He should have adopted the surge early in Iraq (like back in 2004) and got the F out of there. What I am saying now, is that I can understand why people are wishing they could get Bush back. Because the change that Obama promised is basically translated into a massively more powerful government bureaucracy, skyrocketing taxes, almost authoritarian new regulatory powers, the government takeover of the healthcare system, the practical elimination of Medicare (which they are now hedging on), and an administration that continues to push cap and trade even as it is being debunked. Again, making no excuses for the Republicans, but Obama needs to man the F up and start taking the country on his shoulders. His immature and catty personality is coming through every time he pisses and moans about the big bad Bush.
I took him to be replying to me and my post, because he posted, then I replied, and then he made a "typical liberal" snide post, which I took to be directed at me. If not, apologies around.

I think Bush's second term was a failure. I think Obama's first term so far has been largely a failure as well. That's what "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" is about. I don't particularly want either of them at this point, and Congress (whether controlled by Dems or Reps) is a hell hole. (I feel like Guinness right now :D, and thats meant as a compliment).
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

This is all very interesting to me. The blame Bush crowd. If an ordinary citizen did what Bush did with the NSA programs they would never be getting out of prison or if another country invaded Iraq like the United States did, how do you think we would react, I'm guessing sanctions, commissions, maybe invading. hmmm this country since Nixon has had two sets of laws, one for us and one for the powerful elites, who never face punishment.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

We're in Iraq because of Iran. Make no mistake. Removing Saddam was just a bonus.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://mises.org/daily/3907

Excellent article examining in-depth just how destructive Obama's economic policies are. For all of those genius economists that told us giddily the recession was over a month or two ago, they could not be further from the truth. Thanks to the reckless policies of this administration (intentional or not), the worst is yet to come.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shafnutz05 wrote:http://mises.org/daily/3907

Excellent article examining in-depth just how destructive Obama's economic policies are. For all of those genius economists that told us giddily the recession was over a month or two ago, they could not be further from the truth. Thanks to the reckless policies of this administration (intentional or not), the worst is yet to come.
"The interest rate is a price signal, no different from the price tag on any good."
The Central Bank has been depressing interest rates for what...20 years? There's not a whole lot of revealing stuff in this article...switch greenspan - bernanke & Clinton/Bush w/Obama.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

That is true. The problem is, Obama is taking these policies and ramping them up on steroids.

On a side note, the average federal worker is now making $71,000/yr. Just food for thought.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

shafnutz05 wrote:That is true. The problem is, Obama is taking these policies and ramping them up on steroids.

On a side note, the average federal worker is now making $71,000/yr. Just food for thought.

shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

that is the greatest GIF I have ever seen
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

shafnutz05 wrote:that is the greatest GIF I have ever seen
I love the one that goes off course. He's a a lone warrior of expressing distaste.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

What a joke...

"Fox News' Bill O'Reilly lashed out at "Law & Order" franchise creator/executive producer Dick Wolf Thursday night. The bombastic host, upset over how he was recently characterized on the long-running NBC drama, called the "far left" Wolf a "despicable human being" whose show is "out of control."

Sparking O'Reilly's ire was an episode of "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit" that aired earlier in the week, in which a crazed anti-immigration activist set out to murder the children of illegal immigrants. In one scene, a character named Randall Carver, played by veteran actor John Larroquette, is sitting on a park bench talking to Fin, the detective played by Ice-T. In defending the actions of the man who killed the immigrants’ children, Larroquette's character says, "Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reilly, all of 'em, they are like a cancer spreading ignorance and hate...They've convinced folks that immigrants are the problem, not corporations that fail to pay a living wage or a broken health care system..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20091211/ ... ews_en1030
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

slappybrown wrote: I think Bush's second term was a failure. I think Obama's first term so far has been largely a failure as well. That's what "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" is about. I don't particularly want either of them at this point, and Congress (whether controlled by Dems or Reps) is a hell hole. (I feel like Guinness right now :D, and thats meant as a compliment).
:)

What we're seeing is 'Government' - in all it's glory. This isn't a Democrat vs. Republican thing... that's all window dressing. It's getting to where the people are beginning to actually see that the emperor has no clothes. How that bodes for the future? I don't know... Personally, I'm cynical, from a libertarian point of view. But who knows...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

shafnutz05 wrote:http://mises.org/daily/3907

Wow! You're citing MISES? What's next?? Are you about to withdraw support for our imperial wars? Refute the legitimacy of "enhanced interrogation"? Keep reading, my friend... keep reading!
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

thehockeyguru wrote:What a joke...

"Fox News' Bill O'Reilly lashed out at "Law & Order" franchise creator/executive producer Dick Wolf Thursday night. The bombastic host, upset over how he was recently characterized on the long-running NBC drama, called the "far left" Wolf a "despicable human being" whose show is "out of control."

Sparking O'Reilly's ire was an episode of "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit" that aired earlier in the week, in which a crazed anti-immigration activist set out to murder the children of illegal immigrants. In one scene, a character named Randall Carver, played by veteran actor John Larroquette, is sitting on a park bench talking to Fin, the detective played by Ice-T. In defending the actions of the man who killed the immigrants’ children, Larroquette's character says, "Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reilly, all of 'em, they are like a cancer spreading ignorance and hate...They've convinced folks that immigrants are the problem, not corporations that fail to pay a living wage or a broken health care system..."

See, this is garbage. I listen to Beck, because I find his views on the economy fairly tolerable. I can't get through an hour of Limbaugh's show because he's such a blatant partisan operative. O'Reilly is just a shill for the state, from what I've seen of him - if it means more control for the government, he seems to be in favor of it. But I've been listening to Beck for a couple of years now. I can agree with him (for the most part) on the economy. When he goes off on his little statist rants like he did today ("I believe that the United States was divinely inspired..."), I reach for the air-sick bag. He's been heading in the correct (liberty) direction, in my opinion, since I've been listening to him, but I don't believe that a person in his position could actually land fore-square in the province of liberty and maintain his brand, as it were.

Speaking as a person who has managed to remain un-brainwashed by Beck, I find it blatantly absurd that this program would imply that he preaches intolerance and hate. I don't agree with half of what the guy says, but I haven't heard him "spread ignorance and hate". Indeed, if this is verbatim the dialogue of the program, it seems it was intended to spread it's own little subliminal message.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

I don't agree with half of what the guy says, but I haven't heard him "spread ignorance and hate".
Oh yea? [youtube][/youtube]

This is also a person that said, "anyone that takes me serious is an idiot"

Beck is an entertainer, he has stated it numerous times. He sees himself as a Howard Beale of the 21st century and that's fine but let's not take this man serious.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

thehockeyguru wrote:What a joke...

Papa Bear angry.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote: Oh yea?
Yeah.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Sadly, mankind is not ready for anarchy yet. But give it time, maybe in 10,000 years it is.