Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by relantel »

Troy Loney wrote:what is sandusky trying to prove and who is he arguing with? the university?
believe it is the state employee retirement system
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

The judge has allowed the Paterno lawsuit against the NCAA to continue to discovery. Let the fun begin.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:The judge has allowed the Paterno lawsuit against the NCAA to continue to discovery. Let the fun begin.
Here is the ruling.

http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/media/u ... CTIONS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like PSU has to be added as a party in order to proceed regarding the NCAA sanctions but other counts can go to trial without adding PSU. Either way an ammended compliant has to be filed.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Paterno vs NCAA reaches discovery phase... some counts preliminary objections sustained, several overruled.

http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/media/u ... CTIONS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

summary:
The court wants Penn State joined as a party to consider counts 1 & 2. Count 3 objection sustained without prejudice. Count 5 sustained for most, but overruled with respect to Trustee Clemens and the former coaches. Counts 4 and 6 overruled. (here overruled is the objection, such that overruled benefits Paterno et al, and sustained benefits NCAA)
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

@McCannSportsLaw: Judge John Leete today: "NCAA accepted conclusions of the Freeh Report...despite serious flaws in the investigation". http://t.co/RfwWc2FJPh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Isn't that just the judge stating the allegagations?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

viva la ben wrote:Isn't that just the judge stating the allegagations?
that's how I read it, to be honest.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

What's the objective?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

relantel wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Isn't that just the judge stating the allegagations?
that's how I read it, to be honest.
My bad. See that now.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

So is that mccannsportslaw garnishing favor of the "Paterno People"
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Good summary of today's events re: Paterno vs NCAA.

http://onwardstate.com/2014/01/07/judge ... -standing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

haha, the SERS lawyer misspoke the other day - that and more nuggets around the hearing yesterday in Harrisburg, mostly from Ray Blehar:
Ray Blehar ‏@RayBlehar 2h "It's our contention that Mr. Sandusky was The Second Mile," said Steven Bizar, an attorney at arguing on behalf of SERS. OOPS!! #NotPSU

Ray Blehar ‏@RayBlehar 4h Sandusky pension hearing key issue is whether he was a "de facto" employee of PSU after 1999. $57K per year says he worked for TSM.

Ray Blehar ‏@RayBlehar 4h (1/2) Sandusky's lawyer... maintains that Sandusky was not employed by the school when the crimes took place. http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140 ... ppeal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Ray Blehar ‏@RayBlehar 4h (2/2) Sex crimes not included for revoking pension until 2004. JS denies crimes after 2004: "Alleged victims, I would call them,"

Ray Blehar ‏@RayBlehar 4h Sandusky stated he received no tax forms from PSU. In response to being called an ambassador "I was never on a mission assigned to me"

Ray Blehar ‏@RayBlehar 4h @gregbucceroni The crimes warranting revokation of pension were not on the books until 2004 - after JS was no longer a PSU employee.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

lol, I just read through pages 97-100 re PSU's academic reputation. That was fun.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

slappybrown wrote:lol, I just read through pages 97-100 re PSU's academic reputation. That was fun.
i'm pretty happy with how it played out in retrospect
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

John McQueary - testified at December 2011 hearing for the Curley/Schultz case for the prosecution, starting at page 133, the sole witness used to corroborate Mike McQueary. Six months later at the Sandusky trial, John McQueary denied ever having been to Dauphin county court, much less testifying. Judge Cleland amazingly let him get away with it, and not be asked further about it, even when presented with the transcript. See pages 23-26 of http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/media/u ... 2%20JT.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The OAG's house of cards that is the C/S/S trials is collapsing all around. They are saddled by Baldwin's inadmissability, no corrobation of McQueary (remembering that Dr. Dranov disagreed with John McQueary's account of their meeting with Schultz, and John McQueary couldn't even recall 6 months earlier let alone 11 years), that one cannot be charged under a law that did not exist at the time of the alleged violation, and that the most generous 10 year statute of limitations on failure to report had already expired before the original grand jury presentment. A recent appeals court ruling overturned a conviction of a Philadelphia man where they tried to charge the 2007 version of the endangerment law for an incident that happened before the law was changed.

The worst outcome, IMO, is if the OAG office finally realizes they won't win and drops the charges, claiming techincalities, before the trials ever begin. The haters will never believe the right result, the accused won't get their reputations back, and those in the middle won't even care.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Behind the Penn State scandal: A community fails to reckon with its past
The Sundance doc "Happy Valley" examines the delusional groupthink exposed by the Jerry Sandusky case.

Whatever lessons we were supposed to learn from the Penn State sexual abuse scandal, we didn’t learn them; whatever questions we were supposed to ask went unanswered. Now, I’m aware that the phrase “Penn State sexual abuse scandal” will rile up many current and former residents of the Keystone State. Just for using that expression in a pre-Sundance blurb, I’ve gotten emails from readers arguing that it’s just the “Jerry Sandusky scandal,” that Penn State bears no institutional guilt for what happened, and that the legendary Nittany Lions football program should not be viewed as tainted.
http://www.salon.com/2014/01/27/behind_ ... _its_past/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Am I too late to post that Paterno isn't the real coach anymore, just a figurehead?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

http://www.yardbird.com/kids_as_commodi ... PA_DPW.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To summarize, the PA government failed PA's children by not properly vetting Sandusky. The question remains regarding whether Sandusky fooled them or they were aware and chose not to act.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I don't think I could watch that film.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

relantel wrote:The worst outcome, IMO, is if the OAG office finally realizes they won't win and drops the charges, claiming techincalities, before the trials ever begin. The haters will never believe the right result, the accused won't get their reputations back, and those in the middle won't even care.
This really is becoming the textbook definition of a clusterf**k.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Suppressed and manipulated evidence?
Corruption from the governor's office?
Very likely based on evidence gathered by Ray Blehar's latest investigation.

http://notpsu.blogspot.com/2014/02/sand ... n.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

New article by Don Van Natta Jr. about Michael McQuery released today by ESPN the Magazine.

Full article:
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... last-stand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summary of article:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ources-say" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The story includes some interesting details that have been reported by others but this is the first time someone from the mainstream media has reported them.

Details include:
-"When the presentment was made public on Nov. 4, 2011, McQueary was reported as seeing Sandusky engaged in "anal intercourse" with a 10-year-old boy in the shower. But in subsequent testimony, McQueary acknowledged he never clearly saw anal intercourse and only assumed it had occurred based on several quick glances and the sounds he heard."
-"A previously undisclosed email sent by McQueary to authorities demonstrates he had thought the prosecutors' description in the presentment of what he had seen -- and what he reported to Paterno -- was not accurate."
-"When the presentment charging Sandusky, Curley and Schultz was released, it was written by the 33rd grand jury. In that document, prosecutors said McQueary, identified only as a graduate assistant, was found by the grand jury to be "extremely credible." However, the 33rd grand jury never heard McQueary testify. An earlier grand jury, the 30th, heard McQueary testify on Dec. 16, 2010."
-McQuery says that Paterno's handling of the situation was done "in the best way he could."
-McQuery had a gambling problem and gambled on PSU while he was a backup QB.
-McQuery told players on the 2011 team that he was sexually abused as a child. No mention was made in the article regarding who abused him.

The biggest information not reported previously by the mainstream media but found by John Ziegler:
The Mag story also reports new details about "Victim 2," the boy, now in his mid-20s, who was in the shower when McQueary witnessed Sandusky's alleged assault. A week after the presentment was released, a young man in his mid-20s identified himself as "Victim 2" to Joseph L. Amendola, the defense lawyer for Sandusky. In a wide-ranging interview on Nov. 9, 2011, in Amendola's State College law office, the young man, accompanied by his mother and brother, told Amendola and his investigator that at the time of the shower incident he was 14, not 10 or 11, as McQueary estimated.

According to a five-page memo detailing the interview written by Curtis Everhart, Amendola's investigator, the man said the incident happened on Feb. 9, 2001, not on March 1, 2002, as prosecutors had written in their presentment. The man said "this particular night is very clear in my mind," the memo states. In the shower after a workout, the man said he and Sandusky "were slapping towels at each other, trying to sting each other. I would slap the walls and would slide on the shower floor, which I am sure you could have heard from the wooden locker." The man said he recalled hearing a locker slam but never saw the person who slammed it. "The grand jury report says Coach McQueary said he observed Jerry and I engaged in sexual activity," the man said. "Nothing occurred that night in the shower."

Amendola thought Victim 2 would provide a break as he began preparing Sandusky's defense. But two weeks later, Amendola said he ran into a local lawyer at the Centre County Courthouse who told him the young man who had identified himself as Victim 2 had in fact been a victim of Sandusky and intended to sue Penn State.
Victim 2 has since received a multi-million dollar settlement from PSU. Also not mentioned in the article is that Victim 2 wrote a letter to his local newspaper defending Sandusky shortly after the Sandusky news orginally broke.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

WOW......................
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

that information about victim 2 is shocking.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The information about victim 2 has been out there for over a year. It along with a lot of other information not reported by the MSM is why a lot of alumni like myself haven't been letting this issue die.