1/24: Unofficial All-Star Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
jay_caufield

Post by jay_caufield »

I wouldnt be surprised if the Caps dont send Ovy down after this showing tonight.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by EagleMorph »

Ovechkin = puckhog
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

First Perreault had 2 goals, now Chara does? What in the blue hell is going on?
jay_caufield

Post by jay_caufield »

I don't know if its just Ovechkin and his giveaways, or if its just the western team playing defense when the crosby line is out, but when other lines are out there, its like the defense is turned off for the western conference.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

netwolf wrote:First Perreault had 2 goals, now Chara does? What in the blue hell is going on?
Easy, it's the worst all-star game ever. This is what happens when you take all-star weekend and move it to the middle of the week. Something feels wrong watching the game on a Wednesday at 10:43PM. This whole thing has sucked.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by EagleMorph »

jay_caufield wrote:I don't know if its just Ovechkin and his giveaways, or if its just the western team playing defense when the crosby line is out, but when other lines are out there, its like the defense is turned off for the western conference.
It's Ovechkin. I haven't seen him make one full-hearted pass yet...and he usually doesn't even make the half-hearted ones.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

DelPen wrote:
netwolf wrote:First Perreault had 2 goals, now Chara does? What in the blue hell is going on?
Easy, it's the worst all-star game ever. This is what happens when you take all-star weekend and move it to the middle of the week. Something feels wrong watching the game on a Wednesday at 10:43PM. This whole thing has sucked.
At least it's in HD.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
DelPen wrote:
this is the 1st one ever on a week-day right?
For as long as I can remember but I didn;t get into hockey until 1989.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

I think Turco has been pretty good on the mic. :D
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

Emerick is a better announcer than he's been these two nights. Doing all-star festivities takes a different skill than doing a normal game.

I think you people are just looking for something to whine about though.

Emerick's one of the best in the business, as rated regularly by international hockey magazines and authorities.
I'm not doubting Emrick's greatness...I prefer some of the old ESPN guys (miss Tom Mees), but I like Emrick as well and I know he's highly thought of in the industry. I was just making a pathetic attempt to be funny earlier.

I can't jam Versus too much for the All-Star broadcasts because it's their first one.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Stoosh wrote:
Emerick is a better announcer than he's been these two nights. Doing all-star festivities takes a different skill than doing a normal game.

I think you people are just looking for something to whine about though.

Emerick's one of the best in the business, as rated regularly by international hockey magazines and authorities.
I'm not doubting Emrick's greatness...I prefer some of the old ESPN guys (miss Tom Mees), but I like Emrick as well and I know he's highly thought of in the industry. I was just making a pathetic attempt to be funny earlier.

I can't jam Versus too much for the All-Star broadcasts because it's their first one.
Don't apologize, Emerick has been aweful on the Devils games. On the national games he had JD cover his butt all the time. He's getting into Stan Fischler territory of being senile on the mic.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

netwolf wrote:I think Turco has been pretty good on the mic. :D
Agreed. Very good.

I loved when Emrick pointed out that no Dman has ever had a HT in an ASG.

Turco: "Great. Thanks Guys. That's awesome."
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Did Malkin even bother to SHOW UP for this game? He's been INVISIBLE! What a slacker doofus.

:D
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

HomerPenguin wrote:Did Malkin even bother to SHOW UP for this game? He's been INVISIBLE! What a slacker doofus.

:D
Boom.

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... &start=125

:P
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:crosby gives an awesome pass..AO screws it up, shoots over the net, the west come down and score..
The West's defense has some actual good defensive or all around good guys. They are very tough to play against.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

Daniel Briere may have had the quietest 5 point (1g, 4a) All Star game ever.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

Did they even have an MVP ceremony?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

Kicksave wrote:Did they even have an MVP ceremony?
Yep. They announced the selection and then interviewed him on the ice. When they announced his name, I thought "Briere? He was on the losing team. What did he do?"

Then I looked it up.
Shinoix

Post by Shinoix »

Perreault stands out again this season. Hard to believe that 29 teams passed on this guy. He's scoring, he's playing pretty good D, and he's the leading faceoff guy in the league once again.

62.2% faceoff
19% shooting
18 mins per game
15 goals, 13 assists, 36 games
+4

all of these numbers coming on a Coyotes team that struggled mightly until lately...

Looking at those numbers, he sure doesn't seem like a guy that would be out of a job at season start.