What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by Ericf »

pens_CT wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:36 am
Ericf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:20 am
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:14 am
Antonio wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:20 pm Yeah I read it earlier but I thought it had been posted because someone else referenced it here I think. I mean every single quote I have read from his agent and his camp have made it abundantly clear he has zero intention of signing here and is fully planning to get PAID, so I believe this 100% percent.
The way I am reading things, Jake wants to see what is out there. When he hits free agency, what kind of offers is he going to get. I don't think it's that he doesn't want to be here, but he wants to see what other teams will offer him and if something else is a better fit.

I don't think Jake is gonna take 12M a year to go play in Buffalo, but again, I think Jake and his agent (unlike Penguins management) are realistic in where the best chance to play post season hockey is...it's not in Pittsburgh.

I'm betting Jake would love to go home and play for Minnesota, but unfortunately for him the timing is wrong. Parise and Suter massive dead cap hits are still on the books next season for 14.7M. After the 24-25 season, they drop down to 1.6M...so Jake misses his chance there by 1 year.

If there is a good team like a Colorado, Carolina, New Jersey, Dallas, etc that can make him a good offer, that's his best chance for success.
Don’t begrudge him taking that stand. But in that case the Pens absolutely must trade him at the deadline unless they look like a whole new team the next few weeks, go on a winning streak and the PP really starts clicking. Chances of that are slim lol. It would be malpractice for Dubas to let him possibly walk at the end of the season when this team is a borderline playoff hopeful and not a true contender
If I am Dubas, he gets traded and you tell him they'll make an offer for him when he hits free agency. You structure the deal that the team who trades for him gives you another pick if they re-sign him.
Yep. But depending on the return and what happens the rest of the season, I’m not sure the Pens should be re-signing him for what he likely gets on the market, which is probably 7 years at $9M per. We’re loaded up with 30+ year old top six wingers. Sure Jake is better than Rust and Rakell, but Hextall gave Rust a NMC and Rakell is going to cost the first you received for Jake to move that contract with the number of years left on it and his current play. Best case for the Pens is to try to get an NHL ready young player or current young NHL player back for Jake. For example, if you could get Jarvis back for Jake if Carolina was interested and let them to speak to Jake’s agent about an extension, that would be ideal. Or Bouchard in EDM.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Ericf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:45 am
pens_CT wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:36 am
Ericf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:20 am
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:14 am
Antonio wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:20 pm Yeah I read it earlier but I thought it had been posted because someone else referenced it here I think. I mean every single quote I have read from his agent and his camp have made it abundantly clear he has zero intention of signing here and is fully planning to get PAID, so I believe this 100% percent.
The way I am reading things, Jake wants to see what is out there. When he hits free agency, what kind of offers is he going to get. I don't think it's that he doesn't want to be here, but he wants to see what other teams will offer him and if something else is a better fit.

I don't think Jake is gonna take 12M a year to go play in Buffalo, but again, I think Jake and his agent (unlike Penguins management) are realistic in where the best chance to play post season hockey is...it's not in Pittsburgh.

I'm betting Jake would love to go home and play for Minnesota, but unfortunately for him the timing is wrong. Parise and Suter massive dead cap hits are still on the books next season for 14.7M. After the 24-25 season, they drop down to 1.6M...so Jake misses his chance there by 1 year.

If there is a good team like a Colorado, Carolina, New Jersey, Dallas, etc that can make him a good offer, that's his best chance for success.
Don’t begrudge him taking that stand. But in that case the Pens absolutely must trade him at the deadline unless they look like a whole new team the next few weeks, go on a winning streak and the PP really starts clicking. Chances of that are slim lol. It would be malpractice for Dubas to let him possibly walk at the end of the season when this team is a borderline playoff hopeful and not a true contender
If I am Dubas, he gets traded and you tell him they'll make an offer for him when he hits free agency. You structure the deal that the team who trades for him gives you another pick if they re-sign him.
Yep. But depending on the return and what happens the rest of the season, I’m not sure the Pens should be re-signing him for what he likely gets on the market, which is probably 7 years at $9M per. We’re loaded up with 30+ year old top six wingers. Sure Jake is better than Rust and Rakell, but Hextall gave Rust a NMC and Rakell is going to cost the first you received for Jake to move that contract with the number of years left on it and his current play. Best case for the Pens is to try to get an NHL ready young player or current young NHL player back for Jake. For example, if you could get Jarvis back for Jake if Carolina was interested and let them to speak to Jake’s agent about an extension, that would be ideal. Or Bouchard in EDM.
If I'm dealing Jake, I'm looking for a young, close to NHL ready, center back as the main piece. You build teams down the middle. And, I'm thinking, down the road, Yager and the "as yet unknown player" would be good building blocks for the next iteration of this team.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I'm not in favour of pilling up centers at the moment.. Yager could be 3rd line C next year, then whoever will be next young C - he shouldnt be 4th line C,as checking defensive center.. Also O'Connor and Poulin could be decent centers in the league, DOC played C for USA, Poulin played it a lot in his career.

I think we should get two young wingers in any trade we will make..
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

Get Zegras and a 1st and let’s go!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

A few things to add around Guentzel, potential trades, and moving forward:

--The anti-trade retool/rebuild contingent will tell you that guys like Pickering and Yager should be on the block instead...and, they aren't necessarily wrong. I like both players, but Pickering isn't likely to be a top pairing defenseman, and Yager isn't likely to be a 1st line player. If Dubas could add a piece he wanted and had to give up one of those guys, we shouldn't be completely upset...unless said acquired player is 30+ years old. Yager and Pickering and even Blomqvist are some of the best prospects we've had in some time, but in a good prospect pool...they are low A / High B level guys. They aren't guys you rebuild a team around.

--A look in the salary cap era of what you might be able to find with the so-called "worthless" late round first (20th to 32nd):
--->2005 - Tuuka Rask, Matt Niskanen, TJ Oshie, Andrew Cogliano
--->2006 - Claude Giroux, Nick Foligno
--->2007 - Max Pacioretty, Mikael Backlund, David Perron
--->2008 - Jordan Eberle, John Carlsson
--->2009 - Marcus Johansson, Kyle Palmieri
--->2010 - Kevin Hayes, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Brock Nelson, Charlie Coyle
--->2011 - Connor Murphy, Phillip Danault, Rickard Rakell, Vladimir Namestnikov
--->2012 - Scott Laughton, Olli Maatta, Mike Matheson, Brady Skjei, Tanner Pearson
I'll stop here, but, you can get the point. There are a few high end gems in this group like Rask, Oshie, Giroux, etc. There are a bunch of good middle 6, middle pairing guys here as well. If you have a good scouting department, higher end picks aren't worthless.

I'd still want either a good young NHL player like a Zegras or Chytil, or a very high end pick like a Lekkerimaki or Hollaway as part of any Guentzel deal.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:08 pm A few things to add around Guentzel, potential trades, and moving forward:

--The anti-trade retool/rebuild contingent will tell you that guys like Pickering and Yager should be on the block instead...and, they aren't necessarily wrong. I like both players, but Pickering isn't likely to be a top pairing defenseman, and Yager isn't likely to be a 1st line player. If Dubas could add a piece he wanted and had to give up one of those guys, we shouldn't be completely upset...unless said acquired player is 30+ years old. Yager and Pickering and even Blomqvist are some of the best prospects we've had in some time, but in a good prospect pool...they are low A / High B level guys. They aren't guys you rebuild a team around.

--A look in the salary cap era of what you might be able to find with the so-called "worthless" late round first (20th to 32nd):
--->2012 - Scott Laughton, Olli Maatta, Mike Matheson, Brady Skjei, Tanner Pearson
I'll stop here, but, you can get the point. There are a few high end gems in this group like Rask, Oshie, Giroux, etc. There are a bunch of good middle 6, middle pairing guys here as well. If you have a good scouting department, higher end picks aren't worthless.

I'd still want either a good young NHL player like a Zegras or Chytil, or a very high end pick like a Lekkerimaki or Hollaway as part of any Guentzel deal.
I don't believe I have heard or read anyone who is anti-trade retool who is advocating moving Yager, Pickering or Blomqvist. Its too early to pigeon hole any of these players to say that can't do this or that. When Guentzel, Rust, and Murray were in the system did anyone think they were NHL players? Did they make any top 50 prospects list? All they ended up being were guys who contributed to winning the Cup(s).

I liked your Edmontion potential trade for Guentzel, although there is a lot of risk that Holloway or Broberg ever become important pieces of a NHL team. Edmonton's track record of drafting even with high picks is pretty abysmal.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:55 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:08 pm A few things to add around Guentzel, potential trades, and moving forward:

I don't believe I have heard or read anyone who is anti-trade retool who is advocating moving Yager, Pickering or Blomqvist. Its too early to pigeon hole any of these players to say that can't do this or that. When Guentzel, Rust, and Murray were in the system did anyone think they were NHL players? Did they make any top 50 prospects list? All they ended up being were guys who contributed to winning the Cup(s).

I liked your Edmontion potential trade for Guentzel, although there is a lot of risk that Holloway or Broberg ever become important pieces of a NHL team. Edmonton's track record of drafting even with high picks is pretty abysmal.
I think Danny Shirey was one of several who basically said, Yager, Pickering, etc are (paraphrasing) nothing at this point. They aren't guys you build around, and if they need to be sacrificed in a trade for one more shot at a Cup, you do it in a heartbeat. It's their same reasoning for wanting to keep Guentzel...that he gives them a better chance to win a Cup. That's not wrong, but all 32 teams have a chance. This team's depth is so poor that, as I said before...trade deadline passes, Guentzel still here, and March 9th Crosby is knocked out with a season ending injury, including playoffs. Was it still worth keeping Guentzel now? That's a big IF, but this is one of a myriad of variables that need to be considered with how they move forward over the next month.

My problem is, I understand the "anything can happen" idealism, but this team has a 5 game winning streak and a 3 game winning streak this season. That's it. And the 5 game streak was against 4 non-playoff teams. The one playoff team, LA, they had to go to OT. I just don't see this team having enough consistency over a 1-2 week period to win 4 games out of 7.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:18 pm
pens_CT wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:55 pm

I think Danny Shirey was one of several who basically said, Yager, Pickering, etc are (paraphrasing) nothing at this point. They aren't guys you build around, and if they need to be sacrificed in a trade for one more shot at a Cup, you do it in a heartbeat. It's their same reasoning for wanting to keep Guentzel...that he gives them a better chance to win a Cup. That's not wrong, but all 32 teams have a chance. This team's depth is so poor that, as I said before...trade deadline passes, Guentzel still here, and March 9th Crosby is knocked out with a season ending injury, including playoffs. Was it still worth keeping Guentzel now? That's a big IF, but this is one of a myriad of variables that need to be considered with how they move forward over the next month.

My problem is, I understand the "anything can happen" idealism, but this team has a 5 game winning streak and a 3 game winning streak this season. That's it. And the 5 game streak was against 4 non-playoff teams. The one playoff team, LA, they had to go to OT. I just don't see this team having enough consistency over a 1-2 week period to win 4 games out of 7.
I don't think any of us believe this team is one or two players away from being a factor in the playoffs let alone winning the entire thing. Hopefully Dubas sees the same thing and makes the moves necessary to set up the franchise for life after 87 & 71.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I think Yager and Blomquist should be off the table for any trades..

You have Pickering, Joseph, Gruden, Smith and few other guys to trade if needed, vet guys as well.. to add in any trade with bigger name
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

pens_CT wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:50 pm I don't think any of us believe this team is one or two players away from being a factor in the playoffs let alone winning the entire thing. Hopefully Dubas sees the same thing and makes the moves necessary to set up the franchise for life after 87 & 71.
No that ship has sailed and sunk.

I don't think there's a way to quickly retool the team either. Too many of the players that should be carrying the mail for the team, just aren't. Props for those that are (Crosby is always Crosby, for example), but our star ensemble has noticeably diminished. GMKD I think did a good job acquiring a different roster, adding pieces that would get us back in the playoffs and dark horse territory. It hasn't worked out that way.

Hopefully Dubas is making moves to set up the franchise for life after Sullivan. He should be sacked at the end of the season at the very latest. We don't need him to frak up the rebuild too.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

“Hopefully Dubas is making moves to set up the franchise for life after Sullivan. He should be sacked at the end of the season at the very latest. We don't need him to frak up the rebuild too.”

Speaking of which, who would be the best coach for a rebuild or retool, keeping in mind the core will probably remain.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Wyopen wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 am “Hopefully Dubas is making moves to set up the franchise for life after Sullivan. He should be sacked at the end of the season at the very latest. We don't need him to frak up the rebuild too.”

Speaking of which, who would be the best coach for a rebuild or retool, keeping in mind the core will probably remain.
Hot take: Honestly, if we're talking about a true "knock it all down, start over rebuild" - I wouldn't mind having Sullivan around behind the bench. He has atleast shown a propensity for getting the most out of an average roster when the big guns are out of the lineup (i.e. beginning of the 21-22 season).
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Coffey Break wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:05 am
Wyopen wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 am “Hopefully Dubas is making moves to set up the franchise for life after Sullivan. He should be sacked at the end of the season at the very latest. We don't need him to frak up the rebuild too.”

Hot take: Honestly, if we're talking about a true "knock it all down, start over rebuild" - I wouldn't mind having Sullivan around behind the bench. He has atleast shown a propensity for getting the most out of an average roster when the big guns are out of the lineup (i.e. beginning of the 21-22 season).
Sully will probably outlast Dubas... :face:
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:56 am
Coffey Break wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:05 am
Wyopen wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 am
Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:41 amHopefully Dubas is making moves to set up the franchise for life after Sullivan. He should be sacked at the end of the season at the very latest. We don't need him to frak up the rebuild too.
Sully will probably outlast Dubas... :face:
Accountability please for wasting the end of 87-71-58. Sack Sullivan.

Most of Dubas' moves have been fairly logical and encouraging and I'd probably give him a 7/10 or 8/10 for the whole body of roster work. I'd rather keep him and start the rebuild. I'd give Sullivan anywhere between a 3/10 or 6/10 this year. Dubas should put on his big boy trousers, sack him and bring in a different coach.

I swear it's like an episode of "Yes, (prime) minister". Where it doesn't really matter who is in charge of the civil service, with a revolving door of ministers coming and going, so long as the permanent secretary is just that: permanent.

I'm betting Sully is of a mind to keep Guentzel, because we'll get to our game the playoffs where we can get knocked out in 4 or 5 games find success. I don't think that's realistic and I'd much rather have a coach who is on board with a rebuild . If Sullivan was on board for a rebuild, you'd think he'd find time to test out some of the younger guys in Wilkes-Barre. Granted, there isn't much there, but he likes his defensive empty sweaters more than anything. Puustinen is up 3RW which is about the extent of it. Injuries force Sully to add another guy, he brings up white on the 2nd line. I'm so confused with all of that stuff. Yeah sure the 3rd line looks alright -- but the second looks trash.

Trading Guentzel could create a domino effect where Pens have to give some guys a look, making a more sensible lineup each night. But Sullivan won't do it.
HellsKitchen7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by HellsKitchen7 »

Does anyone predict that Jake will maintain his production at age 30 and without Sid as his center when he goes elsewhere?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

HellsKitchen7 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:55 pm Does anyone predict that Jake will maintain his production at age 30 and without Sid as his center when he goes elsewhere?
Depends on who his center is. I think Jake is a talented enough player that he doesn't "need" Crosby to inflate his points...but, he also doesn't drive play a lot on his own (the numbers may say differently).

If you traded Jake, and he was playing with Nugent-Hopkins in Edmonton, as an example, I think he'd still produce and have little drop-off...maybe 10-15%.
If you traded Jake to NJ and he was playing with Hischier or Hughes, I'd guess about the same as above.
If you traded Jake to LA and he's playing with someone like Phillip Danault or PLD, then I'd expect a bigger dropoff.

I think Jake will do fine with a solid, above average center with some skill. If you give him a no-name go that doesn't produce well, he's not going to produce a lot on his own.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-20 ... -guentzel/

Came across this. They speculate on what a Jake to the Rangers trade would look like:

"Guenztel has been electric throughout his career. This season, he has scored 22 goals and added 27 assists for 49 points through 46 games. Throughout his entire career, he has scored 219 goals and added 244 assists for 463 points through 499 games which comes out to a 0.93 points-per-game average. A trade between the two sides likely looks like Guentzel being moved to the Rangers, with an extension attached, in exchange for Barclay Goodrow, Kaapo Kakko, Matthew Robertson, a 2024 first-round pick, a 2024 fifth-round pick, and a 2027 second-round pick."

If Jake comes with an extension, I would make the Rangers overpay significantly. Prefer not to see our guy playing for the Rangers!
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

That's too weak of a return from the Rags.......we can do better.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:59 am https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-20 ... -guentzel/

Came across this. They speculate on what a Jake to the Rangers trade would look like:

"Guenztel has been electric throughout his career. This season, he has scored 22 goals and added 27 assists for 49 points through 46 games. Throughout his entire career, he has scored 219 goals and added 244 assists for 463 points through 499 games which comes out to a 0.93 points-per-game average. A trade between the two sides likely looks like Guentzel being moved to the Rangers, with an extension attached, in exchange for Barclay Goodrow, Kaapo Kakko, Matthew Robertson, a 2024 first-round pick, a 2024 fifth-round pick, and a 2027 second-round pick."

If Jake comes with an extension, I would make the Rangers overpay significantly. Prefer not to see our guy playing for the Rangers!
No way the Pens trade with the Rangers while they still have a shot at the playoffs. Put this one in the "never gonna happen" bin.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:59 am https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-20 ... -guentzel/

I mean.... this is not a bad return.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:58 pm

It's not a great return. If that's the best we could do for Guentzel with an extension, we're in trouble. It's more like the Lindholm trade...quantity over quality. Take Goodrow out, because he's for cap purposes. Take the picks out. What's the center piece of the deal?

Robertson has standard issue most young defensemen have...his defensive coverage/positioning without the puck. Athletic last year stated he can probably be a solid 3rd pairing guy.

Kakko was Rangers second best prospect last year, however, his biggest issue is his skating. The same thing that's held Poulin back...the same thing that saw Legare shipped out. He's a question mark to hit his draft potential, and a below average skater in Sullivan's system isn't really a win.

You throw Chytil in there instead, maybe my ears perk up a bit. But Guentzel WITH an extension needs a major A level piece or top younger player coming back in return.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Something else to think about regarding Guentzel staying or going...if things don't work out contract wise, and the Penguins decide to keep Guentzel and let him walk...not only do they lose the assets they could gain by trading him, but, there really aren't any Plan B's on the free agency side next summer.

Sam Reinhart is the top UFA. Florida is either going to re-sign him (very likely) or he's going to get a ton on the UFA market. After Reinhart and Guentzel, you've got a bunch of mid-30s UFAs in Stamkos, Duchene, Pavelski, Marchessault, Monahan (29 yo), Tarasenko, and Tiffoli.

Even if you trade Guentzel and the young player in return isn't anywhere near Jake's production (likely), I'd rather have a good young asset in the lineup or flipped for more resource, than nothing at all...or adding another over 30 forward to this group.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:22 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:58 pm

It's not a great return. If that's the best we could do for Guentzel with an extension, we're in trouble. It's more like the Lindholm trade...quantity over quality. Take Goodrow out, because he's for cap purposes. Take the picks out. What's the center piece of the deal?

Robertson has standard issue most young defensemen have...his defensive coverage/positioning without the puck. Athletic last year stated he can probably be a solid 3rd pairing guy.

Kakko was Rangers second best prospect last year, however, his biggest issue is his skating. The same thing that's held Poulin back...the same thing that saw Legare shipped out. He's a question mark to hit his draft potential, and a below average skater in Sullivan's system isn't really a win.

You throw Chytil in there instead, maybe my ears perk up a bit. But Guentzel WITH an extension needs a major A level piece or top younger player coming back in return.
Just to play devils advocate but those 5 young assets might be the top 5 best assets in the organization. :lol:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Taj
@taj1944
Elliotte on Oilers:

If Guentzel is available, my opinion is that's their guy. That's the guy they would like to get.

Doubt he's going to be available, personally...
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

It seems like everything is pointing to the Guentzel situation being up in the air right till the last minutes.

It seems like he's not going to re-sign with the Pens before the deadline, unless they offer way more money than they should. So, there's not going to certainty that way.

It seems like Dubas would keep him, even without re-signing, if the Pens are comfortably in a playoff spot at the deadline and look like they could have a shot at winning a round or two. But that's unlikely to happen. They'd basically have to sweep all their games between now and then.

It seems like Dubas would deal him, if the Pens were basically out of the playoff picture by the deadline, and Guentzel wouldn't re-sign. But that also seems unlikely, unless the Pens are really bad between now and then. If they keep going like they have been, winning more than not, but never really getting on a roll, they'll probably still be in that pack of teams vying for a wildcard/#3 in the Metro.