Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Killiecrankie

Post by Killiecrankie »

I think its the coach, seriously.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

element1286 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Scott wrote:Is MT really a problem with the players???

Makes you wonder.

Lets look...
City itself:
Pittsburgh or Detroit? Gee I wonder which is nicer? LOL
Term of contract? Pens offered a long term deal compared to one year of Detroit
Playing for a winner:
That is a wash since they both were in the finals.
Putting up big numbers;
Won't happen in Detroit.
Maybe he doesn't care for the coach!!??
A lot of people say Pittsburgh pretty crappy too. As for the big numbers, why wouldn't he do it in Detroit? As for winner, the Pens were the first loser, the Red Wings were the winner.
Yes, but I think the point is that a Cup contender was offering him a long-term deal. He would be able to have his cake and eat it too.
Maybe the Pens didn't offer him a NTC clause, and wanted to move him after this year to make cap room once Malkin's contract kick in. He wants to determine where he is going to play.

Don't know, just a theory.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

PensBeerGeek wrote:
duke66 wrote:...this is interesting from the tsn article...

The $7.4 million that Hossa will earn next season, is the most Detroit would pay anyone - even an unrestricted free agent. The Red Wings were insistent that no one earn more money than six-time Norris Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom.
I guess that Zetterburg extension isn't coming anytime soon then.
They have datsyk signed forever for $6.7 million, i zetterberg accepts about a $7 million deal.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

DelPen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Wouldn't it be the greatest thing of all time if we beat the Wings in the 09 Finals?
Yes. Right now I'd be happy to make the playoffs, though. I'm serious. We have 2 great forwards plus 3, maybe 4 decent forwards, including one top-line winger in Sykora. That's all.
So we have one great forward more than we had for a long stretch last year.

You all do know we were still the best team in the east BEFORE we traded for Hossa, when malone was inconsistant and orpik was playing LW on the 4th line, right?
Yah, ok, you're right. As I said, *right now* our lineup looks a bit thin. We'll be ok, though, I'm sure.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cosmo_kramer »

newarenanow wrote:
element1286 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Makes you wonder.

Lets look...
City itself:
Playing for a winner:
Putting up big numbers;
Won't happen in Detroit.
A lot of people say Pittsburgh pretty crappy too. As for the big numbers, why wouldn't he do it in Detroit? As for winner, the Pens were the first loser, the Red Wings were the winner.
Yes, but I think the point is that a Cup contender was offering him a long-term deal. He would be able to have his cake and eat it too.
Maybe the Pens didn't offer him a NTC clause, and wanted to move him after this year to make cap room once Malkin's contract kick in. He wants to determine where he is going to play.

And from what was being reported, we weren't offering him the amount that Detroit was offering.

Anyone else here feel like they're arguing against the wind? :lol:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Troy Loney wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:

The $7.4 million that Hossa will earn next season, is the most Detroit would pay anyone - even an unrestricted free agent. The Red Wings were insistent that no one earn more money than six-time Norris Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom.
They have datsyk signed forever for $6.7 million, i zetterberg accepts about a $7 million deal.
Zetterberg taking 8.5 is a paycut imo.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Cosmo_kramer wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
element1286 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Makes you wonder.

Lets look...
City itself:
Playing for a winner:
Putting up big numbers;
Won't happen in Detroit.

And from what was being reported, we weren't offering him the amount that Detroit was offering.

I don't know, but some people are being real babies here. Things didn't go their way so now they are going to cry and bash Hossa. He took less money to play for a winner, exactly what he said. But now he is "lazy and still greedy". I assumed most people were grownups on this board.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

crzymike wrote:
Ginger wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

he chose the best team. the best team can only afford him for 1 year. there you have it.
Y'know, I knew he was going to go. From the moment we picked him up, in my mind he was a rented player. He saw an opportunity to go to the playoffs & win a championship, & he signed on to do that.

But what bothers me at this time is the crap about 'money not meaning a lot - playing with this Penguins team that he enjoyed so much - wanting to stay with them & willing to take less money to do it - blah, blah, blah blah, blah blah!

Where did all that go, huh, Marian? Somebody waves a wad of thousand dollar bills under your nose & to hell with the long term contract & the "team you want to stay with". You actually had me sucked in, too.
You give good European players a bad name.

Well said Ginger. I literally feel sick, I got sucked in to a bit.
I never believed he would re-sign here, and that is why I was so annoyed with letting Malone walk and also with the perception that we were waiting on Hossa's decision before we went too hard after other guys.

There were guys who got too much term and too much money yesterday, but I still believe that Malone could have been re-signed if we didn't have our shiney new toy in Hossa. The talks with Malone were contentious as soon as the season ended because it was so well known who the "new" priority was.

I don't think Malone was worth a 7 year deal, but our situation would have been a lot less urgent now if he were still in the fold.

Now, out two best wingers are gone along with about 60 percent of the available alternatives..........thanks Hoss.

At least his actual decision proves that he is VERY interested in winning - to the tune of giving up at least $44M. For that, I cannot be angry about his choice. I only wish we cut that cord at 12:01 yesterday and went harder at some of the guys who signed at good value.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cosmo_kramer »

newarenanow wrote:

Makes you wonder.

Lets look...
City itself:
Playing for a winner:
Putting up big numbers;
Won't happen in Detroit.
Pssh. Shows what you know, I moved away from Pittsburgh last year because of the Penguins' coach.. :wink:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

newarenanow wrote: I don't know, but some people are being real babies here. Things didn't go their way so now they are going to cry and bash Hossa. He took less money to play for a winner, exactly what he said. But now he is "lazy and still greedy". I assumed most people were grownups on this board.
I don't think he is lazy or greedy, however I do not respect him any longer. He had a chance to sign a long term deal with a very good team playing with the best center in the league, and he turned it down for a 1 year deal for a slightly better chance to win a cup. I would respect him more if he left for tons of money, rather than leaving for a lesser deal with the 1 team in the league that is better than the team he was currently on.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

crzymike wrote:
Ginger wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

he chose the best team. the best team can only afford him for 1 year. there you have it.
Y'know, I knew he was going to go. From the moment we picked him up, in my mind he was a rented player. He saw an opportunity to go to the playoffs & win a championship, & he signed on to do that.

But what bothers me at this time is the crap about 'money not meaning a lot - playing with this Penguins team that he enjoyed so much - wanting to stay with them & willing to take less money to do it - blah, blah, blah blah, blah blah!

Where did all that go, huh, Marian? Somebody waves a wad of thousand dollar bills under your nose & to hell with the long term contract & the "team you want to stay with". You actually had me sucked in, too.

this makes no sense.

this decision is the least financially based deal in the history of the universe.

detroit has the best chance of winning. he did EXACTLY what he said he was going to do. he's not a hypocrite and he's definitely not greedy.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

The Snapshot wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Ginger wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I never believed he would re-sign here, and that is why I was so annoyed with letting Malone walk and also with the perception that we were waiting on Hossa's decision before we went too hard after other guys.

There were guys who got too much term and too much money yesterday, but I still believe that Malone could have been re-signed if we didn't have our shiney new toy in Hossa. The talks with Malone were contentious as soon as the season ended because it was so well known who the "new" priority was.

I don't think Malone was worth a 7 year deal, but our situation would have been a lot less urgent now if he were still in the fold.

Now, out two best wingers are gone along with about 60 percent of the available alternatives..........thanks Hoss.

At least his actual decision proves that he is VERY interested in winning - to the tune of giving up at least $44M. For that, I cannot be angry about his choice. I only wish we cut that cord at 12:01 yesterday and went harder at some of the guys who signed at good value.
I think Malone was gone regardless. But it could cost us Orpik.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
newarenanow wrote: I don't know, but some people are being real babies here. Things didn't go their way so now they are going to cry and bash Hossa. He took less money to play for a winner, exactly what he said. But now he is "lazy and still greedy". I assumed most people were grownups on this board.
I don't think he is lazy or greedy, however I do not respect him any longer. He had a chance to sign a long term deal with a very good team playing with the best center in the league, and he turned it down for a 1 year deal for a slightly better chance to win a cup. I would respect him more if he left for tons of money, rather than leaving for a lesser deal with the 1 team in the league that is better than the team he was currently on.
Wait... so you respect him less because he took less money to go to a team he feels he has a better shot to win the cup with? That makes zero sense.

Don't people usually get their panties in a bunch when people leave for more money and go to crappy teams.

Hossa did just the opposite... I don't see why everyone hates the guy though. It's a kick in the balls that he left, but hey it happens. I don't blame the guy for doing what he did.
ekoostik9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ekoostik9 »

Ok, after puking over this i now have a new perspective.
One, we have money to throw around now, and two next year
he is ufa in a lot better ufa group which should lower his
cost a bit. Im not saying we should try to get him back but
maybe it will have a little affect on the big names values
for next year.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Killiecrankie wrote:I think its the coach, seriously.
The same coach who led the team to the biggest turn around in franchise history only to lead them to the finals the very next year.

It's a good thing this team doesn't run like a country club anymore.
Last edited by nocera on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
I don't get your view on losing respect for him. He said what he was going to do, take less money to play for a winner. He did that. I see nothing wrong with his decision.

(By the way, I'm just using the tone in general, I wasn't pointing anyone out specifically). :D
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

newarenanow wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
element1286 wrote:
newarenanow wrote: A lot of people say Pittsburgh pretty crappy too. As for the big numbers, why wouldn't he do it in Detroit? As for winner, the Pens were the first loser, the Red Wings were the winner.

I don't know, but some people are being real babies here. Things didn't go their way so now they are going to cry and bash Hossa. He took less money to play for a winner, exactly what he said. But now he is "lazy and still greedy". I assumed most people were grownups on this board.
If I remember correctly, you were not a proponent of bringing him back anyhow. If you can't understand why people here are disappointed or are upset about this development thats your issue. He took the easy path to win a championhip. Is that smart, yes. Is it smart to take a one year deal and potentially give up millions of guaranteed dollars? No it isnt. He made it sound as if he thought highly of Pittsburgh and wanted to stay, it's not like this team can't contend with him. Without him though its a serious blow. People arent likely gonna react well to that, nor should they!
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by bdevido »

the sad truth is, if you offered today's athletes a contract that was worth an extra $5 dollars, they'd bolt. they are all opportunists, and there is no loyalty. hossa's greed has no bounds. he could have been part of a dynasty here, and decides to sign a one year deal? all this time, the rumor was that he wanted a long term deal. he is no more than a rented commodity. that's all he was last year, and that's all he'll be this year. good riddance. hopefully, it hurts his long term worth. as far as malone goes, there is no way he is worth what tampa is giving him. i don't care how many puck's he takes in the face, seven million a year for ryan malone is the definition of insanity.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

newarenanow wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
element1286 wrote:
newarenanow wrote: A lot of people say Pittsburgh pretty crappy too. As for the big numbers, why wouldn't he do it in Detroit? As for winner, the Pens were the first loser, the Red Wings were the winner.

Greed can't possibly have been his motivation, that's for sure.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

bdevido wrote:the sad truth is, if you offered today's athletes a contract that was worth an extra $5 dollars, they'd bolt. they are all opportunists, and there is no loyalty. hossa's greed has no bounds. he could have been part of a dynasty here, and decides to sign a one year deal? all this time, the rumor was that he wanted a long term deal. he is no more than a rented commodity. that's all he was last year, and that's all he'll be this year. good riddance. hopefully, it hurts his long term worth. as far as malone goes, there is no way he is worth what tampa is giving him. i don't care how many puck's he takes in the face, seven million a year for ryan malone is the definition of insanity.
7 million a year? :?:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

skullman80 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Wait... so you respect him less because he took less money to go to a team he feels he has a better shot to win the cup with? That makes zero sense.

Don't people usually get their panties in a bunch when people leave for more money and go to crappy teams.

Hossa did just the opposite... I don't see why everyone hates the guy though. It's a kick in the balls that he left, but hey it happens. I don't blame the guy for doing what he did.
Hossa did not leave a bad team for a good team. He left the 2nd best team for the 1st best team. For a lesser deal. This is far worse than Jagr wanting out of a team that had 0 chance of winning a cup.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

bdevido wrote:the sad truth is, if you offered today's athletes a contract that was worth an extra $5 dollars, they'd bolt. they are all opportunists, and there is no loyalty. hossa's greed has no bounds. he could have been part of a dynasty here, and decides to sign a one year deal? all this time, the rumor was that he wanted a long term deal. he is no more than a rented commodity. that's all he was last year, and that's all he'll be this year. good riddance. hopefully, it hurts his long term worth. as far as malone goes, there is no way he is worth what tampa is giving him. i don't care how many puck's he takes in the face, seven million a year for ryan malone is the definition of insanity.
Hossa was the opposite of greedy.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by westside »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:

Zetterberg taking 8.5 is a paycut imo.
I read Detroit wont pay ANYONE on the team more than Lidstrom... don't know if it's accurate or not.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

Hossa did not leave a bad team for a good team. He left the 2nd best team for the 1st best team. For a lesser deal. This is far worse than Jagr wanting out of a team that had 0 chance of winning a cup.
I don't get what the problem is with that? Why should he not do that? I know people are upset because it's the Pens and all.... I just don't see how he was greedy in the slightest.

He took a one year deal to go the team he felt he had the best chance to contend next year. He could have gotten much more from someone else to go play and not contend, but he took less money to stay on a contender, it just happened to to be the Wings instead of the Pens.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cosmo_kramer »

LiveWire6687 wrote:
ekoostik9 wrote:Ok, after puking over this i now have a new perspective.
One, we have money to throw around now, and two next year
he is ufa in a lot better ufa group which should lower his
cost a bit. Im not saying we should try to get him back but
maybe it will have a little affect on the big names values
for next year.
the way i see it unless we get two of huselius, demitra, jagr and naslund we're going to be worse than last year any way you slice it.
How so? Give specific reasons to support your claim.

Who have we lost so far?

Malone -- numbers were inflated from playing with Crosby/Malkin.. His presence will be missed, but he can be replaced.

Hossa -- wasn't picked up until the trade deadline, so his impact on the regular season was minimal.

BGL -- Didn't really play, and when he did, he was trying to be a forechecking playmaker, not an enforcer (like his job is). Goober will play a little more than George and fight more.

Let's not forget -- as someone said earlier -- Recchi started on a line with Crosby, and Crosby was injured for an important stretch. The team matured over the course of the season, and I can't see them regressing.

I was of the mentality -- at the beginning of last year -- that there was no way we would be able to make the playoffs, because the team couldn't rely on that late season push that they did the year prior. I was wrong, I'm not making the same mistake this year.
Last edited by Cosmo_kramer on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.