Crosby vs McDavid thoughts and questions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Crosby vs McDavid thoughts and questions

Post by Zalapski33 »

Daniel wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:01 pm They were talking about how McDavid won the most valuable player on a losing team in juniors and might repeat that in the NHL. At this point and time, that might be the number one difference between him and Crosby. Crosby won his first cup while Malkin won the Conn Smythe. Until McDavid wins a cup, he’ll be a Hall of Fame player with no where near the legacy as Crosby. The top 4 someone brought up before? How many of those players didn’t win a cup.
Great Points.All of the top 4 have a combined 13 Stanley Cups between them.
Sid played better in every one of the 4 Finals he was in with 3 Wins.
No disrespect to McDavid but its still a long way up that Mountain to get where the top 4 are.And he still is looking up at Sid IMHO.
Last edited by Zalapski33 on Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Sid was better in the 3rd period of his first Cup than McDavid was tonight.
rarst17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by rarst17 »

DelPen wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:38 pm Sid was better in the 3rd period of his first Cup than McDavid was tonight.
Are you referring to game 7 in 2009? I don't think Sid even played in the 3rd period.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

High Ankle sprain I think wasn't it ?
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

rarst17 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:19 am
DelPen wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:38 pm Sid was better in the 3rd period of his first Cup than McDavid was tonight.
Are you referring to game 7 in 2009? I don't think Sid even played in the 3rd period.
Sid's first cup appearance was in 2008, when they lost the first time to the Wings.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

rarst17 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:19 am
That’s kind of my point.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

Yeah there are superstars throughout NHL history with amazing stats, and we all argue over the best, the top 3, top 10, etc. I think what separates great players from the best are the championships won in addition to the stats. McDavid will have to get at least one, but probably multiple Cups to be in the conversation for GOAT, or at least Sid level. He’s got the time still so it remains to be seen.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

E-Ramone wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:56 am Yeah there are superstars throughout NHL history with amazing stats, and we all argue over the best, the top 3, top 10, etc. I think what separates great players from the best are the championships won in addition to the stats. McDavid will have to get at least one, but probably multiple Cups to be in the conversation for GOAT, or at least Sid level. He’s got the time still so it remains to be seen.
Great players elevate the team around them to win consistently. McDavid has yet to really do that for more than spurts.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

If you put them all on the ice in the same game. Most would say “ that guy is slightly better than the rest” from a pure talent standpoint. I watched in person all of Wayne’s LA Kings career. Most of Mario’s Games. 95% of Sid’s. 95% of McDavids. The only two that compare to sure consistent dominance are Gretzky and Mario.

McDavid is the most talented hockey player I’ve ever seen. Will be be considered the best? Thats yet to be seen. He needs a cup or two and more winning seasons.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

E-Ramone wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:56 am Yeah there are superstars throughout NHL history with amazing stats, and we all argue over the best, the top 3, top 10, etc. I think what separates great players from the best are the championships won in addition to the stats. McDavid will have to get at least one, but probably multiple Cups to be in the conversation for GOAT, or at least Sid level. He’s got the time still so it remains to be seen.
I use this logic to say Gretzky had a better career than Lemieux. Mario is the most talented player I saw, but that doesn't mean he had a better career.