Thoughts on the Hart

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Who do you think will win the Hart Trophy this season?

Crosby
11%
Dubnyk
No votes
Getzlaf
No votes
Nash
4%
Ovechkin
29%
Price
25%
Rinne
18%
Tarasenko
No votes
Tavarez
7%
Vorachek
No votes
Other
7%

Total votes: 28

columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Thoughts on the Hart

Post by columbia »

As of now, gotta go with the GR8.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

David Schlemko because of his shootout goal last night.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Crosby is laughable, he's not even close to being MVP for the Pens or even 2nd place. And 3rd is a toss up between him and Letang.

I expected Ovechkin to bomb under Trotz, the fact he is looking dominant again and cares for the most part under his system is impressive.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

DelPen wrote:Crosby is laughable, he's not even close to being MVP for the Pens or even 2nd place. And 3rd is a toss up between him and Letang.

I expected Ovechkin to bomb under Trotz, the fact he is looking dominant again and cares for the most part under his system is impressive.
I don't even think it's a toss up, I think Letang has been more valuable to this team.

If Ovie gets the Hart that's going to be **** because Backstrom is right there with him in points. Price, for example, is pretty much doing it all by himself. Same with Rinne.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, that might be tough to justify. Ovechkin may end not leading his team in points - a fairly good gauge for offense, AIUI...and though he has improved defensively, Backstrom is better defensively. Are you going to award the MVP trophy for the league to a guy who is "worse" offensively AND worse defensively than his own linemate...? Tough sell, but he's likely to demolish Backstrom in terms of vote getting because Ovechkin is Ovechkin...
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

The Hart trophy has been presented 90 times... 13 times to a defenseman (Only once since the 70's in the days of Orr) and only 7 times to a goalie. I don't think any Dmen are in the running this year, but seeing a goalie win it is pretty rare. If it is going to happen any year, this year might be the best chance for it.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I think Price has been the "player judged most valuable to his team"

I think OV will win it because GOALZ R THA AWEEZOM
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

OV wins for sure, chicks dig the long ball.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Hopefully he plays good for the Pirates
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Lets say the stars make up 10 points in 14 or whatever games and seguin covers the distance and wins the scoring title. Does he get every single first place vote? Is that even how the hart works or is it just votes?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

A unanimous Hart - if you're asking for serious - is virtually unheard of. Gretzky was a unanimous winner in 1982 and that's the only one I'm aware of. And it took a heroic performance from Gretzky to do it.

- 92 goals that season, the previous record was a lowly 76 to that point. Only one other player got more than 60 goals that season (Bossy's 64).
- 212 points - the first 200-point season in history. The previous record (outside of Gretzky's 164 the previous season) was Esposito's 152 which Gretzky lapped by 60 points (!)...second place in the NHL that season was Mike Bossy who was just 65 points back...
- and ho hum, 120 assists to break Bobby Orr's record 102.

So one unanimous Hart in history that I know of and it took shattering and then jackhammering the goals, assists and points record all in the same season. Tyler Seguin would have to die for our sins, be resurrected, and score 60 points in his last 15 games to get a unanimous win...and even then, I still think Carey Price gets a first place vote or two from the French media...

Re: voting. Each voting member gets a ballot, numbered 1st to 5th, 1st place votes = 10 pts., 2nd = 7 pts., 3rd = 5, 4th = 3, 5th = 1. The top three point getters are posed to the public as "nominees" though there is no nomination process, just strictly a voting process from the whole field.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Crazy to think that Gretzky had more goals that season than every player will have points this season pretty much
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

mikey287 wrote:A unanimous Hart - if you're asking for serious - is virtually unheard of. Gretzky was a unanimous winner in 1982 and that's the only one I'm aware of. And it took a heroic performance from Gretzky to do it.

- 92 goals that season, the previous record was a lowly 76 to that point. Only one other player got more than 60 goals that season (Bossy's 64).
- 212 points - the first 200-point season in history. The previous record (outside of Gretzky's 164 the previous season) was Esposito's 152 which Gretzky lapped by 60 points (!)...second place in the NHL that season was Mike Bossy who was just 65 points back...
- and ho hum, 120 assists to break Bobby Orr's record 102.

So one unanimous Hart in history that I know of and it took shattering and then jackhammering the goals, assists and points record all in the same season. Tyler Seguin would have to die for our sins, be resurrected, and score 60 points in his last 15 games to get a unanimous win...and even then, I still think Carey Price gets a first place vote or two from the French media...

Re: voting. Each voting member gets a ballot, numbered 1st to 5th, 1st place votes = 10 pts., 2nd = 7 pts., 3rd = 5, 4th = 3, 5th = 1. The top three point getters are posed to the public as "nominees" though there is no nomination process, just strictly a voting process from the whole field.
Are you doing the awards ballot thing this year? You should that was awesome. I got swamped last year and couldn't participate but you should do it again.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

It will be so.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

mikey287 wrote:Re: voting. Each voting member gets a ballot, numbered 1st to 5th, 1st place votes = 10 pts., 2nd = 7 pts., 3rd = 5, 4th = 3, 5th = 1. The top three point getters are posed to the public as "nominees" though there is no nomination process, just strictly a voting process from the whole field.
Oh yeah...I should have remembered this because thats how you structured that vote last year...based on the way the voting actually occurs.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

If the Isles win the Metro and Tavares wins the Ross, Tavares will win the Hart.