Reports of Mike Richards on waivers..

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Reports of Mike Richards on waivers..

Post by sniper »

nobody will claim him...someone might trade him for their overpaid useless player...Clarkson comes to mind. The only other way he's being traded is if the Kings add a draft pick or prospect. A team near that may struggle to reach the cap floor may consider it, but for the term he has left even that's iffy.

Not buying him out last off season may potentially kill the kings chances at another cup until his contract is up.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 15h15 hours ago
Lombardi doesn't expect Richards to be claimed on waivers. Says looked at trade route but no fit. Hopes Mike will re-discover game in AHL
That's a lot of cheddar to pay an AHL player (even if only for a short period of time).
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

This is a risky move by Lombardi no? Aren't the Kings super screwed if Richards retires?
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

ville5 wrote:This is a risky move by Lombardi no? Aren't the Kings super screwed if Richards retires?
If I'm not mistaken, you're only screwed on the cap hit if the player signs the contract at 35+ years old and then decides to retire.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I mentioned this in the transactions thread, but I'm fairly certain the Kings will have cap recapture penalties if Richards retires. McKenzie mentioned it but didn't really specify as to why. Meow said it may be because his salary is higher than his cap hit.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

MRandall25 wrote:I mentioned this in the transactions thread, but I'm fairly certain the Kings will have cap recapture penalties if Richards retires. McKenzie mentioned it but didn't really specify as to why. Meow said it may be because his salary is higher than his cap hit.
I've been schooled from someone that knows bigger words than I do on the subject:
Richards has played 3.57 seasons for LA, earning $26.5 million dollars, while only using $20.5 million dollars in cap space; a difference of $6 million dollars. That $6 million dollar figure is what the Kings would be penalized for if Richards retires prior to the end of the contract. If he has 6 years left on the contract, LA would have a $1 million cap penalty for each of the next six seasons. If he has 1 year left, LA would have a $6 million cap penalty for the one season Richards was suppose to be under contract for.

I think...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

So how many more years will the Mets be paying Bobby Bonilla when the Richards deal is finished? That's the real measuring stick to how bad an athlete's contract is. :lol:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:So how many more years will the Mets be paying Bobby Bonilla when the Richards deal is finished? That's the real measuring stick to how bad an athlete's contract is. :lol:
Dipietro's deal might be just as bad (or good, depending on which side of it that you're on)
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

The 2008 version of me can't stop laughing about how zero teams in the nhl wanting anything to do with captain leadership right now.

...that guy is also ignoring the bloated contract factoring in, but none the less...ha.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

meow wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I mentioned this in the transactions thread, but I'm fairly certain the Kings will have cap recapture penalties if Richards retires. McKenzie mentioned it but didn't really specify as to why. Meow said it may be because his salary is higher than his cap hit.
I've been schooled from someone that knows bigger words than I do on the subject:
Richards has played 3.57 seasons for LA, earning $26.5 million dollars, while only using $20.5 million dollars in cap space; a difference of $6 million dollars. That $6 million dollar figure is what the Kings would be penalized for if Richards retires prior to the end of the contract. If he has 6 years left on the contract, LA would have a $1 million cap penalty for each of the next six seasons. If he has 1 year left, LA would have a $6 million cap penalty for the one season Richards was suppose to be under contract for.

I think...
That makes sense to me and is pretty manageable if so...but that wasnt my understanding.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:

I think...
That makes sense to me and is pretty manageable if so...but that wasnt my understanding.
Keep in mind, this scenario only plays out if he retires.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

meow wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:

I think...
Keep in mind, this scenario only plays out if he retires.
I don't know how much $ is left on his contract, but with 5 years left I imagine that will still be serious money, so I don't see Jeff retiring anytime soon.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I think it's like 5 years, $22 million left or some such...
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

I thought the recapture penalty was higher. $1million isn't bad at all.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

ville5 wrote:I thought the recapture penalty was higher. $1million isn't bad at all.
It's tough for a team operating as close to the cap as the Kings are.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If they can survive Mike Richards at whatever his cap hit was, they can survive a 1 million dollar cap penalty. He hasn't been a $5 million dollar cap hit player for them.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Lucky for them they have some serious producers on ELCs
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

mikey287 wrote:I think it's like 5 years, $22 million left or some such...
Mikey, his contract is a serious problem so help me out here. I don't know the rules for such a case, but are all contracts non-negotiable once signed? What I'm getting at... could he willingly cut his salary to push forward a trade to another team?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

No, he cannot. The Kings can retain a certain percentage (up to 50%) if they so choose though.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

mikey287 wrote:No, he cannot. The Kings can retain a certain percentage (up to 50%) if they so choose though.
So he's stuck with it. OK, Thanks. I just asked because I'm sure he's a proud guy and if he has to play in the minors for several years...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

It's called the Wade Redden.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

meow wrote:Lucky for them they have some serious producers on ELCs
but aren't most of those players in the final year of their ELCs?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

JS© wrote:
meow wrote:Lucky for them they have some serious producers on ELCs
but aren't most of those players in the final year of their ELCs?
Yup. All their young forwards will be RFA this offseason.