Wider/Taller Nets....2" I say!!!

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Wider/Taller Nets....2" I say!!!

Post by Mr. Colby »

5-4 games suck. Remember a few years ago flyers and jets played to a 9-8 final? Worst game of hockey i have seen in some time
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Pens flyers 10-3 playoff game in 2012 was pretty awful too. Scoring is fine the way it is.

What are you gonna do put a 4'6 peewee goalie in a bigger net, or force him tp relearn angles when he gets older?
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Mr. Colby wrote:Pens flyers 10-3 playoff game in 2012 was pretty awful too. Scoring is fine the way it is.

What are you gonna do put a 4'6 peewee goalie in a bigger net, or force him tp relearn angles when he gets older?
There was nothing not awful about that series. That was some bad, bad hockey.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by interstorm »

I'm onboard with larger/wider nets (although I don't know if the extra size is 2" -- that needs to be investigated). My quick thoughts on some comments in this thread:
* Many above say the NHL needs to call the game by the rules. Yeah - we've been saying that for a decade and a half (at least) and this hasn't happened. Time to move on...
* Others suggest we start by making goalie equipment smaller. While there is some truth to that, any changes would involve the NHL working with the NHLPA on this matter (and the NHLPA will always go for player safety). Taking a different course of action removes the union from the decision and expedites change.

As stated here (http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... =1&t=64182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I think the NHL needs to increase scoring in order to stay relevant within the national entertainment scene. Hockey has gained virtually no ground in viewers and can be seen as a product completely failing at it's potential. Of course others will say it is a regional sport or will point to Canadian (saturated market) viewership. Anyone with a business background can see that this product flounders outside it's traditional market -- the question is why? Given that hardcore fans have endured more lost games than any other major North American league sport in the last 20 years and still came back strong, the NHL shouldn't feel any pressure to placate to this market. Explore avenues to better the product (i.e. to make it more entertaining).

Some above have said 5-4 games are the worst -- those statements should be corrected as "They feel 5-4 games are the worst". It's their opinion -- not fact. I live in the greater Philly area, and traditional non-hockey sources and people talked a great deal during that last Pens/Flyers series. Now there was a lot of bad hockey there -- but without a doubt there was a lot of excitement too. The NHL needs to find the middle ground between that series and the ho-hum average games going on today.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

New rule: no goalie is allowed to be taller than 5 feet.... on skates.

Problem solved.

Hopefully if the 3 on 3 OT rule goes into effect, we should get more goals from that instead of watching the shootout where they give you that "fake goal"

I always liked the idea of no more falling down flat to block shots. Skaters have to stay on one skate atleast. think that would get you a few more goals a year. The NHL is trying to make small tweeks to get more goals. in reality the tweeks add up to nothing.
Last edited by no name on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Go back to the old days where goalies could not go down to stop shots...

"Get a mattress, Benny!" they used to shout from the stands when Clint Benedict would pretend to slip and fall while making saves...
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Some above have said 5-4 games are the worst -- those statements should be corrected as "They feel 5-4 games are the worst". It's their opinion -- not fact.
I seen my share of 5-4 games that were great. I endured the 90s clutch and grab hockey and a ton of 2-1 snooze-fests. Overtime was a joke, we all left the building with 5 mins to go in regulation cause you knew nothing would happen the rest of the game.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

mikey287 wrote:Go back to the old days where goalies could not go down to stop shots...

"Get a mattress, Benny!" they used to shout from the stands when Clint Benedict would pretend to slip and fall while making saves...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

k...?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

interstorm wrote:* Others suggest we start by making goalie equipment smaller. While there is some truth to that, any changes would involve the NHL working with the NHLPA on this matter (and the NHLPA will always go for player safety).
I think that even the NHLPA would have a tough time explaining how having a catcher glove the size of a small dining room table aids in player safety (as compared to the glove size in say 1990). Same with the width of leg pads as well. The goalie's legs aren't 15 inches wide...